PDA

View Full Version : Help!

cumminsnut76
02-22-2010, 12:05 PM
I just got some .224 boolits from members here on the forum and I am having problems. I'm loading them for 223 for my rossi single shot. Using my Lee dies I am having incredible trouble getting the boolit centered in the brass and have messed up several boolits and brass with crooked alighnment. Just wondering how everyone else does it! I'm tired of tearing up brass and boolits.
:lovebooli

Guesser
02-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I find the Lee 22 Centerfire dies to be problematic for pointed bullets when trying to get them started straight for seating. I found that if I backed the seating plug out until it was flush with the shoulder inside the die and then ran the die as far into the press as to touch the shell holder I would be able to avoid shaving material from the side of the point. I was working with v-max and ballistic tip J- words. Back it out and try, if you look up into the seating die and adjust the plug you can see what causes the problem. I purchased a Hornady 22 seating die and use it for all my 22 CF rounds, no problems no more!!!!!!!!!!!
Another solution might be to use a Lyman "M" die since you are seating Boolits.

44man
02-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I just got some .224 boolits from members here on the forum and I am having problems. I'm loading them for 223 for my rossi single shot. Using my Lee dies I am having incredible trouble getting the boolit centered in the brass and have messed up several boolits and brass with crooked alighnment. Just wondering how everyone else does it! I'm tired of tearing up brass and boolits.
:lovebooli
UUUUM, wonder why I don't buy Lee dies? Think maybe Redding dies might correct the problem.
Reloading is a SCIENCE, not a slam dunk, work the press handle real fast process.
Pay attention to what the dies do. If you size too much, then expand too much, you can bend the shoulders.
Are you flaring the case mouth for cast? DIES FOR RIFLES DO NOT FLARE, only expand. You need a separate expander to flare the mouth.
I have stated a million times that dies make or break accuracy and cast needs MUCH more thinking.
Before you load more, just sit and study what is going on, find and fix the problem and yes, it might cost a little more money.
Buying a set of dies will not make you a reloader.

mpmarty
02-22-2010, 12:42 PM
+1 on looking at what you're doing and needing an "M" die for cast. Without it you make scrap for sale by the pound instead of cartridges to shoot.

JIMinPHX
02-22-2010, 01:54 PM
+2 on the M die

leadman
02-22-2010, 01:57 PM
I also recommend the Lyman M die. Once you get the die body with expander for a cartridge Lyman will sell you just the plug for additional cartridges.

The Lyman M die opens the neck up to allow cast to go in without sizing down the bullet and creats a shelf at the start of the neck for the bullet to set in.

The Lee Universal Case Neck Expander just flares the neck of the case. I don't recommend this for cast rifle bullets especially.

cumminsnut76
02-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Well thats wonderful! I will get a m die soon. anything else i should know?

gray wolf
02-22-2010, 08:23 PM
you may still need a different bullet seating die--perhaps yes--perhaps no.
Try and match the seating plug to the nose shape.

rbuck351
02-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Get the M die. If your bullet seating stem doesn't fit the boolit very good you can put a little hot glue or epoxie in the seat stem and push a waxed boolit in to form a seater that fits your boolit. melt it out when you want to go back to bullets. Most rifle dies size the neck down further than needed for cast and we usually shoot slightly over sized boolits. The M die really helps.

44man
02-24-2010, 09:53 AM
The fellas are all correct and I think you will do great.
To experiment and test to find what works is a part of cast boolit shooting and adds more pleasure when it starts to come together.
I hope you will keep us posted with your progress.

glicerin
02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Until you get a flaring tool(preferably m-die), you can manually flare with a short tapered pin punch or better, a centre punch. Insert tapered shaft and tap into case to form a slight flare on mouth of case. This will stop shaving of lead and neck collapse. ps start bullet seating then rotate case in shell holder 180. good luck

mroliver77
02-24-2010, 10:45 AM
When I dont have the M die spud or am just playing/plinking I use needle nose pliers to bell case mouths. I learned that right here on CB! The more I learn the more it costs. I like dies setup to size the minimum amount needed and for cast(even condoms), off the shelf dies usually size down way too much. The m die helps by sizing neck up to the size that Lyman believes your neck should be to load YOUR custom fit boolit. I need to get my machinist buddy to make up a range of those needed or better buy me a lathe and make my own.
Jay