PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show finds

Thumbcocker
02-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Mrs. Thumbcocker and I made it to Louisville yesterday and a few things followed us home.20096

The hp moulds were $30 each and I look forward to using the 31141 hp in .30-30. For those of you wondering what a lapus and silver bracelet has to do with boolit moulds: I would submit that it was absolutely essential to the continued enjoyment of our hobby and the acquisitiion of additional boolit related stuff in the future.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Good finds...even on the bracelet! If they are not happy, you are not happy. Where in Southern Illinois are you? I am in Edwardsville.

HeavyMetal
02-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Finding a little treasure was what got my wife to go to gun shows!

If more wives realized that there was more at a "gun" show that just guy stuff they might appricate our hobby more.

Nice find by the way.

RayinNH
02-21-2010, 12:58 PM
You'll look great with the ring, but what will Mrs. Thumbcocker do with the moulds ?:mrgreen:...Ray

Johnch
02-21-2010, 02:15 PM
For those of you wondering what a lapus and silver bracelet has to do with boolit moulds: I would submit that it was absolutely essential to the continued enjoyment of our hobby and the acquisitiion of additional boolit related stuff in the future.

In other words

Keep MaMa happy and she will let you buy toys :bigsmyl2:

BTW nice find with the moulds

John

swheeler
02-21-2010, 03:00 PM
The Lapus will make a nice inlay and the silver can be used to alloy some real silver bullets!
Just kidding, nice finds!

Rocky Raab
02-21-2010, 03:09 PM
A lesson I learned a couple hundred gun shows ago: Bring home toys for yourself; go to one gun show. Bring home something nice for her; go to EVERY gun show!

smokemjoe
02-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Went to show here in Iowa Friday night, One fellow sold molds to other daeler for $10.00, old lymans, That dealer marked them up to 45 and 50 dollars. If I take wife the dealers rip her off.

Frank46
02-22-2010, 01:00 AM
My wife started going with me as soon as she found out they sold hematite jewlry. Works for me. Frank

Farmall 1066
02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
My wife likes to read old African Safari books from before WW2. Once she found out gunshows were a good place to find them, she always goes along.

tonyjones
03-19-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm new to boolit casting. Can anyone tell me what to look for in an old/used mould to help me determine whether to buy it? Right now I'm looking for moulds to cast boolits to shoot. At this point I do not have a mould collection to add to.
Thanks and regards,
Tony

RayinNH
03-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Tony avoid molds with serious rust on the inside, very light surface rust generally is not a problem. Hold the blocks up to the light and see if you can see light between the blocks. If you can, look at the block faces to see if there is something keeping them apart, dirt, lead spatter or burred alignment pins or pin holes. If there are burrs on the block edges that prevent them from closing they can be cleaned up with fine files. Avoid all molds that looked like they were used for beating in roofing nails. Buy all molds that are $5 or less, they make good trading stock :)...Ray

John Guedry
03-21-2010, 11:00 AM
You fellows are sure lucky you can find molds at the shows you go to around here all you find is overpriced "stuff".