PDA

View Full Version : How To Best Harden FWFL?

JohnH
02-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I've been using the basic recipe for Felix Lube a bit over four years now and love the stuff. It has given outstanding performance in both rifle and revolver loads. The lube is soft and in revolvers, it will leave a film on the cylinder after a 100 rounds or so, but nothing that prevents funtion.

Last weekend I purchased a Rock Island 1911-A1 and after about 50 rounds the pistol fails to go completely into battery. Removing and looking into the barrel it is easy to see a build up of gunk in the chamber. A quick brush, a dry patch and it's up and running again.

What I want to do is harden the lube without affecting it's lube properties, but I'm not sure what to use. If it matters, I'm using the Lee 255 RF and 3.5 grains of Green Dot. The lube grooves a small, and I'm only filling the lube at the base of the bullet.

wiljen
02-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Carnuaba wax. it will harden Felix up a bit and leave you with a super shiny bore.

ON-sale now in the group buy section btw (Shameless plug).

357maximum
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Simply adding touch more beezwax will stiffen it up......ya ain't gotta git fancy on this to make it work.

If you find the lube qualities lacking after the addition of beeswax...lube one more groove...not likely you will have to do this though, as long as you slowly add more beeswax and do not go too far with the amount of additional beeswax.

runfiverun
02-22-2010, 10:19 PM
either one should do the trick nicely.
don't got either one on hand? add about 10-20% parafin wax. yeah, a candle will work too.

mike in co
02-23-2010, 03:01 AM
this time of year, if ya just put it outside for a while it will thicken right up....

lol

mike in co

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2010, 08:43 AM
i add about 1/3 magma blue or corduba red to it. I figure if im going to add something to a lube to stiffin it up it is probably best i use another lube .