PDA

View Full Version : The versatile .40 S&W

fatelk
02-21-2010, 01:35 AM
The .40 is so versatile. It really is the ultimate handgun. If you run out of .40 ammo and all you can find is 9mm rounds, no problem. They work fine. Some say accuracy is affected, but I haven't noticed any difference.

Next I need to get me a .458 Win Mag, so I can use anything from .264 mag to .375 H&H in it.:veryconfu

Just kidding, of course. I neither recommend nor condone such practices. I found this on the ground the other day, took me a little bit to figure out what someone did.

sagacious
02-21-2010, 02:36 AM
That's a hazard when shooting two autos of the same model, but different calibers. If the mags will lock into either gun, the extractor will often hold the round tightly enough that the primer will fire, and... pop! 9mm in 40SW, or 40SW in 45ACP. The report is usually low enough to cause suspicion and halt further shooting.

I wouldn't waste money betting that nobody has tried it on purpose, but it's easy to do by accident if one is not paying close attention. It's a good reason to only shoot one caliber at one time.

Can also be a basic ammo mistake. You see cases like that from time to time when someone loads 44mag into a 45Colt revolver.

02-21-2010, 03:15 AM
.........:groner:.......

Phat Man Mike
02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
so that's what happened !!!! saw some at the range like that! talk about fire forming

Sturmcrow
02-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Some folks say you can shoot 40 S&W out of a 10MM Auto barrel. Those folks report shooting 1000's of them with no problem. I tried one or two in my G20, since I just had to reload some spent 40 cases I found at the range, and they worked for me, but I figure a replacement conversion barrel is worth the peace of mind if I wanted to shoot them all the time.

As mentioned above, the case headspaces on the extractor rather than the case mouth, and naysayers suggest that this could damage the extractor over time, but does not appear to actually do so.

twotrees
02-22-2010, 05:44 PM
He loaded a mag of 45 GAP into his 45 auto and let fly. All of them fired, without a hitch !!!

So much for head spacing on the case mouth.