PDA

View Full Version : Free storage box's ?

Digger
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Okay...A while back , somebody mentioned they were free...so for in shop storage ? , nice !

Corbi
02-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I have been using old cool whip containters.

Corbi

qajaq59
02-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Digger, that's a good idea. I cast my rifle bullets a whole lot faster then I shoot 'em and end up using all kinds of different containers. Those would store very nicely. Thanks.......

Spudgunr
02-20-2010, 05:17 PM
The only problem is that those aren't free to the post office. Too much of that and we will be paying more for flat rate shipping, or they will eliminate it all together. New cardboard boxes aren't terribly cheap

Lead Fred
02-20-2010, 05:21 PM
They are not free

I bet the tax payers paid $42,000 a box

Marlin Hunter
02-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Those little flat rate boxes also hold forty 12 gauge 2-3/4 shells.

thx997303
02-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd hate for the flat rate boxes to be discontinued because too many of them walked away and never got shipped.

jdgabbard
02-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I recently started using some boxes from PackItRight.net (www.packitright.net)...

However, before I came up with a little method up getting making my own little boxes for boolits and smaller things. You can check out the thread here: Lets Talk Storage! (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=41718) It shows other's ways of storing stuff too. I found it to be a great thread. No reason not to bump it back up.

webfoot10
02-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi All; I use empty plastic peanut butter jars. Washem out and remove the glue from the
lables with WD 40. They hold 100 to 200 bullets depending on size. Keeps them clean and
you can see what is inside. Great for sized and lubed bullets too.
webfoot

Digger
02-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Gentlemen , I stand corrected , I will refrain from using them further...thanks for the tip's and I will go with Jdgabbard's recommendations since I value everyone's input here so much , appreciate it all. :D
digger

bruce drake
02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
I use the plastic tubs that hold frozen creampuffs thst I buy from Sam's Club and Costco. I get to snack on sweet pastries and get nice large square stackable containers in return that can hold about 1000 30 cal boolits at a time.

mpmarty
02-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Wow what a bunch of careful fellows. I store my cast boolits in brass cases with powder and primer.:kidding:

357maximum
02-21-2010, 01:18 AM
"*This packaging is the property of the U.S Postal Service and is provided solely for the use in sending Priority Mail. Misues may be a violation of federal Law. This packaging is not for resale. "

Q. If it is used (think 1X fired folks[smilie=l:) and has an old post mark, can it now be used for something else...say boolit storage for instance?

softpoint
02-21-2010, 01:22 AM
I buy those Christmas cookie tins of various sizes when they are on sale after Christmas, pretty cheap, and metal, and stack several layers of boolits in them separated with wax paper.

cheese1566
02-21-2010, 01:30 AM
I'd hate for the flat rate boxes to be discontinued because too many of them walked away and never got shipped.

yep, wasn't too long ago they would give you free rolls of tape. Sure, it said "Priority Mail" and if it was anywhere on your package, you paid Priority Mail prices, but you could use it on the flat rate boxes. These were rolls as big as the common duct tape rolls.

They stopped. The excuse was that people would come get the free tape when moving or use it for other box stuff.

If you use these free boxes, please recycle and reuse your old ones since they cannot be used twice.

if you use new free ones for this, don't you dare complain when postal rates are increased or we have to begin paying for the boxes...IMHO!!!

Baron von Trollwhack
02-21-2010, 02:48 AM
It ain't the citizen misuse of cardboxes that makes the goobermint post so expensive.

How about the recent expose on extraordinary wages for people like counter clerks and all others, the fact that the goobermint post is virtually all union, with cadillac health plans, with enormous workplace individual production protections in place for marginality of performance, incentiveized use of personal vehicles, easy going extraordinarily variable production norms for the same low level tasks like in small town P Os, an "uppity" , overbearing attitude toward citizens, a bred in un-helpfulness, and on, and on, and on.

How about that 3 cent postage for all that crappola delivered to your door just as nicely as the 44 cent letter you send.

I won't even get to the phone monopoly, where YOU must opt out to stop some garbage calls, while gooberment post cheerily delivers that junk in paper, favoting hucksters over citizens.

BvT

geargnasher
02-21-2010, 03:10 AM
I use large cigar boxes for boolit storage, lube 'em, stand 'em up in tight rows, layer of cut-to-fit gasket package backing from Carquest (wax coated thick pasteboard), then another layer of boolits....

This way I can estimate quantity by counting rank and file, see how many boxes I can load from glancing at the boolit supply when I sit down for a loading session.

Gear

qajaq59
02-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Spudgunr, Yup you have a good point there.

HangFireW8
02-21-2010, 11:25 PM
They're not free, but close... I use breadpans, the kind for baking. They are just the right size to fit in my shelves, and hold small batches of ingots or large batches of boolits.

I get them at yard sales, where they sell for pennies because very few people bake their own bread anymore, and those that do use bread machines. Even from different brands, they come in two sizes, either one fits my shelves.

-HF

WILCO
02-21-2010, 11:45 PM
jars from pasta sauce!! They hold boolits, lubed and sized boolits, brass cases, nuggets of sifted gun range lead, bacon grease for the wood stove and so on.
Being an italian, I tend to use lots of sauce..........:D

Recluse
02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
jars from pasta sauce!! They hold boolits, lubed and sized boolits, brass cases, nuggets of sifted gun range lead, bacon grease for the wood stove and so on.
Being an italian, I tend to use lots of sauce..........:D

I thought real Eye-talians would rather marry their sister than eat sauce that came from a bottle!

In fact, some of the Eye-talians I know, including a couple of Sicilians, fear being fitted for cement shoes if they ever get caught even looking at the Ragu bottles in the supermarket.

They all have little gardens in the back of their homes where they lovingly grow tomatoes, onions, garlic and a little oregano.

Last Sicilian I knew who got caught buying a bottle of pre-made sauce woke up with a horse's head next to him in bed.

:kidding: :bigsmyl2:

(Sorry, I simply could not resist. One of my old partners from the USMS days was an "Eye-talian Stallion from Bwooooklyn, New Yawk. He used to kid all us Texans and Southerners for the way we said "Eye-talians," so naturally we started hamming it up even more. But damn that guy's wife could cook. . . holy cow!)

:coffee:

Springfield
02-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Flat Rate boxes CAN certainly be re-used. I have things that were sent to be in used boxes and I ship out other things in them for a third time. As long as it is in good shape it doesn't matter. The boxes are free, not the postage. Besides being illegal to take them and use them for non postal reasons it just doesn't seem right. Most of my bullets and brass I store in plastic Sterilite containers with drawers that I buy at the hardware store. Except for balls for my C&B guns and they go into used Peanut butter containers.

swallytrip
02-22-2010, 12:12 AM
My basement looks like a butter warehouse with all the empty containers i got full of boolits and shotgun shells.

Rockydog
02-22-2010, 12:19 AM
If you use these free boxes, please recycle and reuse your old ones since they cannot be used twice.

[/B]

I asked at the post office and they said that if they are in good condition you can use them as many times as you like. I've received trade items in a small flat rate box from members here and returned the trade in the same box. As long as you remove or cover the old label you're good to go at my local P.O. RD

alamogunr
02-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I use the plastic peanut butter jars also as well as the big plastic containers that nuts come in. I accumulate several of these around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Right now there are several of both on the shelf with Gator checks in them.

Using the peanut butter jars for bullets isn't as neat as the boxes but if neatness is a factor get a U-Line catalog and find a box that suits your purpose. If you buy a hundred of them, the price is pretty good.

John
W.TN

45-70 Chevroner
02-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Lucklly I have a lot of wood working tools and finish nail gun. So I use 1/2" OSB and cut them glue them and use the finish nail gun. I make them to hold 200 of each different cal. and deep enough that the boolit is lower than the sides that way I can stack them then put a towel over the top one to keep the dust out. I pick up OSB at construction sites there is always a lot of scrap in the dumpsters. I wish I could send a picture but I have two problems one is I'm not sure I can do that on the computer and we have had some problems with our scanner, printer. I have a USB cable for my camra but I don't know how to do that process either. I'm some what computer dumb also.

D Crockett
02-22-2010, 02:41 PM
I use 30 and 50 cal ammo cans I got from a friend who was in the bullet biz he has retired now but he must of had 300 of them stack nice and you can mark them good for loaded and lead bullets D Crockett

sheepdog
02-22-2010, 06:35 PM

I just got back from the post office and needed to ship some boolits. Guess what, no small flat rate boxes. Had to pay for a medium plus pay for padding I didnt need. Gee Thanks. Do use a favor and buy some MGM boxes.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-22-2010, 07:08 PM
All the casters I know store bullits in the plastic ammo holders that come in each new box of pistol ammo. All the trash cans at the range are full of them.

lwknight
02-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Whats wrong with ammo cans?
Tightwads!!

WILCO
02-24-2010, 10:35 AM
I thought real Eye-talians would rather marry their sister than eat sauce that came from a bottle!

When I feel the need to reconnect with my heritage, I watch the Godfather.
Other than that, I've learned to pick my battles and it's easier to just open a jar of sauce, dress it up and serve. I married someone else's sister and that didn't go very well........:shock: [smilie=s:

selmerfan
02-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I will sort through the garbage barrels at the range everytime I'm there. .35 cal bullets fit very nicely into the plastic ammo trays from 9mm and .40 or .223 blocks. The sliding top rimfire boxes fit smaller calibers very well. I like to have my bullets neatly stacked or separated so that the lube doesn't go anywhere it's not needed.

odoh
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Recv'd a shipment from someone last week that was plain cardboard ~ until opened and found it to be a not previously used postal box that was turned inside out ~ still have it. Think I'll take another look to see who did such a thing.

ON EDIT:
Just chkd and the box was USPS carton used by a well known AR15 stuff supplier and used by/as a UPS shipment. New, not a recycle

John Boy
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Dumpster diving at the range for plastic pistol trays - Crystal Lite plastic containers and Captain Black tobacco containers (good for empty brass too)

captain-03
02-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Don't let the Postal Inspection Service learn of this ... -- actually a "no-no" to use for anything but mailing with the USPS .. Use used boxes - no new ones .. How do I know - spent 36yrs around 'em and seen it happen ....

XWrench3
02-25-2010, 12:38 AM
"*This packaging is the property of the U.S Postal Service and is provided solely for the use in sending Priority Mail. Misues may be a violation of federal Law. This packaging is not for resale. "

Q. If it is used (think 1X fired folks) and has an old post mark, can it now be used for something else...say boolit storage for instance?

yes! but only used boxes can be used for private use. if you get caught using postal boxes for non postal purposes, you can end up in trouble. the chances of getting caught are fairly slim. but if you do, i would expect a large fine (per box!). they will want to make an example out of you. in reality, the most likely thing, will be that the boxes will not be free anymore. you will have to pay for them when you get them, then when you ship in them, it will already be paid for. on the non-flat rate boxes, they will probably charge a certain amount for the box, and when you ship, you will get a discount on the shipping rate. it is just like anything else in life. if a few abuse it, the government will find a way to make it miserable for the majority of people.