PDA

View Full Version : Smelting question

sorenlaf
02-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Okay, I need to smelt the small bit of lead I've collected to date.

Did you know that California has ELIMINATED lead wheel weights? I'm not sure I would have bought the furnace and molds I just bought had I know that.

A dutch over or similar has been recommended.

Is there a metal (iron, stainless steel, aluminum) that's preferred for a smelting pot? Is there one that's NOT recommended?

I looked for a cast iron dutch over at a couple of thrift stores today w/o success (though I did find a SS wide ladle with holes that I think will work for removing WW clips).

Is there a reason not to use a 6-8 qt stainless steel pot? Will they deform and spill from the heat and weight?

Thanks in advance,
--Soren

02-19-2010, 11:19 PM
sorenlaf,
While it is true that, as of the first of the year, California has made outlaws out of any tire installer who uses a lead weight, fear not, because there are still millions of cars on the road with them.

So, keep what equipment you've purchased, and continue to collect lead wheel weights.

I don't use a dutch oven or turkey fryer, so can't help you with that part.

Muddy Creek Sam
02-19-2010, 11:30 PM
DO NOT USE ALUMINUM PUTS! Steel or Cast Iron is OK, I use a 6qt Dutch oven. Will hold a lot of lead.

Sam :D

Dale53
02-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Muddy Creek Sam is correct.

I currently use both a "built up" 60 lb steel casing pot and a Harbor Freight 12" Dutch oven that holds about 120 lbs. My Bass Pro Fish/Turkey Fryer easily handles either pot. The large pot, as you might guess, is #1 to me.

FWIW
Dale53

WHITETAIL
02-20-2010, 08:51 AM
:lovebooliYes, to what was said.
DO NOT USE ALUM. POT.
Go to Harbor Freight.
They have 2 sizes of castiron
pots.

Echo
02-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Or buy a stainless steel stock pot from the second-hand store.

wills
02-20-2010, 12:51 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php?searchid=2112561