PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try running lead through a 9mm AR upper?

walker77
02-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Just like the title says. Ive always kinda wanted one. But i was looking at one online today and it doesnt look like they use a gas system like a 223 or any other high power round. I guess its just a blow back system? So if thats the case, why couldnt i just use a use cast in it with out gumming anything up like gas ports or anything. I would really like to get one of those 10" uppers and sbr it.

GabbyM
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
They are a blow back.
As far as "gumming up" a gas system with cast bullets that's some what of a myth.

What you run into with 9mm rifle is exceeding the velocity you can drive a bullet without a gas check. Same as with a 357 magnum rifle. I'd think you could work around that by using 147 grain FP bullets.

Someone is bound to chime in with stories and opinions.

There's more to running an AR 9mm upper on a standard lower than just pinning it on. buffer is different and Hammer. Maybe a few other things depending upon what brand? By the time you buy all the extras you may as well just buy a complete rifle. Magazines are pricey too along with the mag well adapter.

walker77
02-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Man, why does everyone always have to poop on my parade? If its not you guys always talking about velocity, then its big brother saying i have to have at least a 16" barrel or i cant have a full auto. When i die and go to heaven, my gas checks will be gold, i wont have any leading issues, all my m4's will be sbr's with full autos, and my street wont be made of gold, it will be made of ammo cans ( full ammo cans)

clodhopper
02-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Not having much luck with lee 356 124 TC TL bullets, was already thinking about useing Lee 358 158 SWC TL.
Here comes the rain, feeding problems.

walker77
02-19-2010, 10:46 PM
hmm, didnt really think far enough ahead to think about feeding issues. duh...

nicholst55
02-19-2010, 11:09 PM
There's more to running an AR 9mm upper on a standard lower than just pinning it on. buffer is different and Hammer. Maybe a few other things depending upon what brand? By the time you buy all the extras you may as well just buy a complete rifle. Magazines are pricey too along with the mag well adapter.

Not necessarily. The Oly Arms 9mm upper is a drop-in conversion. No special hammers, buffers, etc. required. I'm running one with a standard carbine lower, and it runs like a Swiss watch. It uses Sten mags (with a mag block), and they run around $10. Note that the Oly Arms 9mm upper is a different design than the common Colt-style that everyone else copied (RRA, etc), and parts are NOT interchangeable. While I am NOT a fan of Oly Arms, this is the one product they make that I cam honestly recommend.

I've been shooting Rainier 115 grain plated JHPs in my Oly 9mm, and it runs flawlessly.

Man, why does everyone always have to poop on my parade? If its not you guys always talking about velocity, then its big brother saying i have to have at least a 16" barrel or i cant have a full auto.

Walker 77: I'm confused by your statement about needing a 16" barrel on a full auto. My understanding is that a machine gun can have any length barrel. I just watched a Youtube video of a well-known manufacturer shooting two 11.5" full auto ARs with Beta mags. Nothing like two simultaneous 100-round mag dumps to get your heart pounding!

walker77
02-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Walker 77: I'm confused by your statement about needing a 16" barrel on a full auto. My understanding is that a machine gun can have any length barrel. I just watched a Youtube video of a well-known manufacturer shooting two 11.5" full auto ARs with Beta mags. Nothing like two simultaneous 100-round mag dumps to get your heart pounding!

Sarcasm dude...... And besides i didnt say you needed that. I said the goverment said you need a 16" OR no full autos either......