PDA

View Full Version : Anyone load for the 9x18 Makarov?

leadhead
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi
Just got the mold and dies for the 9x18 mak and was wondering
if anyone out there loads for this cal. Anybody have any loads they
would be willing to share?
Thanks,
Denny

JIMinPHX
02-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I've been having good luck with 3 grains of Bullseye under the Lee boolit.

The thing you have to watch with that caliber is the diameter of the boolit. Those Mak barrels tend to vary quite a bit. Please slug your barrel.

leadhead
02-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Yea, I'll have to do that. It's polish p64.
Denny

fatelk
02-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I've worked up a load that works pretty good in my CZ82 using the Lee boolit. I know the mold is supposed to be 95gr, but they come out 105gr. I don't have my notes handy, but I used Accurate#2 powder.

I tried tumble lubing them first, and got bad leading. I pan lubed and the leading went away completely.

Sprue
02-19-2010, 11:47 PM
From Lee Second Edition pages 596-597.

This is the first caliber that I cast back when I was a bit younger and had some jingle in my pockets (been down hill since :)).

Back then I was using some sort of Surplus powder equivelent to AA5 I think it was.

My mold was/is a custom Lee TL-SWC 6 banger. This is the only caliber that I never experienced leading from the get go. This boolit sure cuts some nice clean holes plus never a jam to boot. For brass, I've always cut down 9mm.

If I recall correctly I use 3.8g Unique & 2.8g BE once in a great while.

I would advise keeping your velocity at or below 1000 fps.

Away congrats, hope this helps.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/3373ab47.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/a228e6e9.jpg

JIMinPHX
02-20-2010, 12:00 AM
That little P-64 is a cute little pocket gun & they are usually darn accurate. Think golf balls at 25 yards if you do your part.

They hold up pretty well to average power ammo, but don't go putting anything hot in them. I tried some 120-grain Wolf hollow points once. I didn't even make it through the second magazine before she began to lock up on me. The ejector got all twisted up & jammed the action. It took quite a bit of work to get her straightened back out again. the 120-grain ammo chrony'd at about the same speed as the 90 or 95 grain factory stuff did, so it was a little snappier than average on the recoil.

For the couple of hundred bucks the P-64s go for, they are a good bargain in my book. The chromed & polished bore alone are worth a good percentage of that price.

You might have a hard time finding sizing dies in that caliber. You can get a custom push through from Lee. When I got mine, they quoted me 4 weeks, but delivered in 2. There are a few board members that do custom size dies for lubrisizers too. A lot of guys just shoot unsized raw boolits in the maks though. I size to .366 for mine.

Myke_Hart
02-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I am a makarov fan.

I don't currently cast for my makarovs, but I am reloading xtp hollow points (.365 diameter) for them, so my load data will not help the OP.

OP what mold did you buy? Make/Model?

Do you guys open the diameter of your molds for your maks? I have some smooth bore (polygonal) cz 82's that like larger bullets to get a grip on the bore. Looks like most molds are only .365.

I own a lot of guns that shoot the makarov round, but I do not own any makarov's. (figure that out):-P

My p64 twins.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Handguns/IMG_5287both.jpg

My CZ 82 polygonal bore
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Handguns/RefinishIMG_4885.jpg

leadhead
02-20-2010, 10:26 AM
I have the standard lee mold and I already had a .366 sizing die from
some other cal of long ago. I am going to use this as my carry gun, as
the colt officers .45 is getting a bit heavy.
I will not use cast for carry thou. Just want to practice and shoot the
hell out of it.
Thanks for the info guys.
Denny

Sprue
02-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I like the Makarov too, but simply because your pistol shoots the 9x18 cartridge does NOT make it a Makarov. One thing that irks me in going to a gun store or seeing a classified ad calling a P64 or what have you a Makarov, that just isn't true.

I have nothing against the others but don't misconstrue things, it is what it is.

Need more info? (http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html)

sheepdog
02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
No problems shooting high volumes of lead through cz82 poly barrels?

leadhead
02-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I know its not a makarov........... its a polish p64. It only shoots the makarov round.
Totality different gun.
Denny

JIMinPHX
02-20-2010, 12:51 PM
simply because your pistol shoots the 9x18 cartridge does NOT make it a Makarov.

I suppose that calling it a Makarov caliber gun would be more appropriate.

JIMinPHX
02-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Do you guys open the diameter of your molds for your maks? I have some smooth bore (polygonal) cz 82's that like larger bullets to get a grip on the bore. Looks like most molds are only .365.

My standard Lee mold drops around .368-.369" right out of the box. That's why I needed a sizing die to get it down to .366". Some of the other Lee molds have been reported to drop around .365-.366". How big do you need yours to be?

Also, just out of curiosity,
is that CZ a a straight blow-back design like the P-64? Or does it fire from a locked breach, like a 1911? I've never messed with a CZ before.

This is the mold I am talking about - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=786209

Rocky Raab
02-20-2010, 02:19 PM
As I've posted before, I did the original Makarov load data workups for the NRA back in '91. The article and data are on my website at Makarov (http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Makarov.htm) Do use Firefox or Chrome, as IE can scramble the pages on my website. I hope it helps you out.

Myke_Hart
02-20-2010, 08:36 PM
My standard Lee mold drops around .368-.369" right out of the box. That's why I needed a sizing die to get it down to .366". Some of the other Lee molds have been reported to drop around .365-.366". How big do you need yours to be?

Also, just out of curiosity,
is that CZ a a straight blow-back design like the P-64? Or does it fire from a locked breach, like a 1911? I've never messed with a CZ before.

This is the mold I am talking about - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=786209

The lee mold specs claim .365 which is a little small for me. But if your is dropping .368-.369 that will work perfect. I am also needing .366.

The CZ82 is a blow back.

JIMinPHX
02-20-2010, 08:54 PM
The lee mold specs claim .365 which is a little small for me. But if your is dropping .368-.369 that will work perfect. I am also needing .366.

It's the luck of the draw. Some drop a little bigger than others do. If you need to make one drop a little bigger, there are some tricks that you can pull. Beagleing comes to mind. So does lapping.

fatelk
02-20-2010, 10:10 PM
My Lee mold drops them at slightly over .366", and they work great unsized and pan lubed. I really like the CZ82. I think it's about the best deal out there for the money. Mine shoots right where you point it.

mike in co
02-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I like the Makarov too, but simply because your pistol shoots the 9x18 cartridge does NOT make it a Makarov. One thing that irks me in going to a gun store or seeing a classified ad calling a P64 or what have you a Makarov, that just isn't true.

I have nothing against the others but don't misconstrue things, it is what it is.

Need more info? (http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html)

sprue,

because of all the various 9mm cartridges out there it is VERY COMMON for the round to be refered to as 9 mak, 9mm mak , and 9 makarov. listing it as 9x18 can confuse it with other rounds...as the ultra is also 9x18 .

please note, in his opening statement, he said "Just got the mold and dies for the 9x18 mak and was wondering if anyone out there loads for this cal."

not one comment about a gun.....

owner of
a cz 82 in 9 mak
a cz 83 in 9 mak
2 p64's in 9 mak
and a bulgarian PM (Pistolet Makarova) in 9 mak.

mike in co

Rocky Raab
02-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Mine is a Hungarian PA-63 chambered in 9x18 Makarov. Except for magazines, it's almost a clone of the Walther PP. Very nice shooter.

sheepdog
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Again, are there no problems shooting high volumes of lead through cz82 poly barrels?

Wayne Smith
02-21-2010, 02:33 PM
If the boolit fits, no. Remember that the original polygonal bores were Whitworth's muzzle loading super accurate rifles with poloygonal boolits.. No problem with leading reported, lead boolits.

goste
02-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I love the Mak. As of now, I have 5 Bulgys... My fav. loads is 3.2 gr 700x, I also trim down 9mm brass. I know Starline sells Mak brass, But I have never found any in stock anywhere.

I use the Lee 2cav, that drops at about .3665. I got in on the group buy, for the Lee 6 cav, and will have to send it back. All in all, one of my all time Fav.

I had a CZ82, and it was a nice pistol, but I thought it was a bit large for the caliber. I also have a feg p63 in 9x18, and other than a hellish DA trigger, its an ok pistol for the price I paid.

Also have a feg p63 in .380. Would love to trade it for a second one in 9x18.....

mike in co
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I love the Mak. As of now, I have 5 Bulgys... My fav. loads is 3.2 gr 700x, I also trim down 9mm brass. I know Starline sells Mak brass, But I have never found any in stock anywhere.

I use the Lee 2cav, that drops at about .3665. I got in on the group buy, for the Lee 6 cav, and will have to send it back. All in all, one of my all time Fav.

I had a CZ82, and it was a nice pistol, but I thought it was a bit large for the caliber. I also have a feg p63 in 9x18, and other than a hellish DA trigger, its an ok pistol for the price I paid.

Also have a feg p63 in .380. Would love to trade it for a second one in 9x18.....

buy the mak 9x18 brass direct from starline...or midway.

mike in co

goste
02-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I've tried....

Both places have been out of stock for months...

Rocky Raab
02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
I have a "forever" supply of trimmed 9 Luger on hand, but I also bought factory 9x18 brass directly from Starline.

mike in co
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
I've tried....

Both places have been out of stock for months...

yep i just tried my distributor and got the same answer.

mike

9.3X62AL
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I became acquainted with the 9 x 18 Makarov caliber about the same time Rocky's article was printed. It may have provided some of my initial ideas about ammo & componentry, not sure as to that.

My sole example in this caliber was and is an East German Makarov pistol. It is basically a Walther PP on steroids, lacking a button-release for its magazine but adding a manual slide release lever. My cases were trimmed 9mm Luger brass, expanded in the Mak die set, and the bullets were made in an RCBS 95 RN mould. Grooves run .364", I size boolits in a .365" die and the pistol just drives tacks with that boolit at 950-1100 FPS. I've used the old powder weight formula suggested by the late Frank Barnes in his "Cartridges of the World" compilations--380 ACP data plus 10%.

I rate the 9 Mak caliber and my pistol among the best of the pocket blowbacks I've ever owned or fired. At full-tilt loading, the little pistol is a handful. Loaded down a bit--95 to 100 grainers at 950 FPS--the Makarov remains reliable and substantially more docile. Brass lands in the same ZIP Code with these mellower loadings, too.

An added benefit to the 9mm Makarov die set is its applicability to the larger-dimensioned 38 S&W revolvers (S&W and Webley) that some posters here have spoken of.

dolang1
02-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Mike in co, How do you differentiate between Mak and 9mm? I just stand them up and look at them, but I'm not in the business. I was just thinking, that would be a pain for you. Not trying to hijack this thread, just wondering. Later Don

helg
02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Lee 365-95-1R cast bullets from WW, water quenched to BHN about 16-18, sized to .365"
OAL .984" (or 25mm, which is standard)

1. 2.9 Red Dot, mild recoil, 950fps, 58% of max SAAMI pressure (QuickLoad). Red Dot, being flake powder, does not measure that good in such a little quantities. I used to make this mod (http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=490) to powder measure. Now I shoot mostly this load. Lighter loads with Red Dot leave dirt in the bore.

2. 3.3 Red Dot, recoil almost as hard as in factory rounds, 1040fps, 72% pressure. This is Lee disk .49cc. This quantity measures perfectly with the disk. I shot it before I made the above mod. It is hard to shoot more than 100 rounds of this load in one session due to recoil.

3. 2.5 VV N310, recoil like in 22LR, 900 fps, 51% pressure. This is Lee disk .30cc. N310 is faster than Red Dot, thus even with this light load, the powder burns completely keeping clean bore. This is the minimum load when action in my Makarov still works. If you invite a lady or a kid to the range, this load would be a perfect fit.

All three loads give excellent accuracy: magfull makes a single hole at 10 yds. All three leave the bore and brass clean (I would say even shiny), and show no muzzle flash as the powder burns completely. I tried Bullseye, 700X and Win231 in the caliber, and did not get the bore that clean.

johnvid
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I also use the Lee 365-95-1R, It drops ww boolits at just over .366 and 105 grains. I lube and size them to .366 from a die I ordered from Buffallo Arms. http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,893.html

I use trimmed down Lugar cases and process them through a set of Lee 9x18 dies. I just finished the last of the 1200 cases this weekend. I used an RCBS case trimmer. I'm glad I'm done with that, trimming cases was the toughest part of the job.

I load 3.0 grains Bullseye behind the Lee boolit.

Mihec will be producing a mould for the 380 that he will cut for the 9x18 Makarov. This will be my next mould for my Makarov caliber guns. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=52663

mike in co
02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Mike in co, How do you differentiate between Mak and 9mm? I just stand them up and look at them, but I'm not in the business. I was just thinking, that would be a pain for you. Not trying to hijack this thread, just wondering. Later Don

sorter......
but for the record the sorter does dump 9 mak in with the 380's some times.

mike in co

Tony65x55
02-23-2010, 07:55 PM

I use my nickel plated casings for Mak and brass for 9mm Para. Color coded!

Tony65x55
02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Don't forget Accurate #5 in the Mak. It is a magic powder for velocities. I have run it up behind the Hornady XTP to giddy velocities and finally settled on 5.6 gr for a very snotty (WARM) full power load. 3.5 gr of Accurate #2 under the 100 grain Lyman boolit gives me 2" groups at 25 yards, 915 fps with my two Bulgarians and my East German Maks.

Phat Man Mike
02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
[smilie=s: we have 4 PA-63's here on the farm and 1 CZ-82 . I've loaded 3.1 titegroup with LEE .365rn cast boolits and shot like no tomorrow! I did buy one of the G/B SWC six bangers and love how it knocks down them water filled pop bottles![smilie=p: I have also done like Rocky Raab and cut down a few hundred 9mm cases to use with no problems:redneck: and loaded with 2.5 gr of red dot and had some good groups a 15 yards. :shock: