PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Powder measure question...

PatMarlin
06-18-2006, 12:07 AM
I'm loading up some .223 Rem with my Dillon 550B and have to wait for the powder to drop.

It's 24grns of Reloader 15, and I have to count 2 seconds with the handle down til it's done droppin' cause if I don't, it will send extra powder to the next round... usually dumping a mess of powder all over.

It's the large charge bar for cryin' out loud. What am I doin' wrong?.. :confused:
:coffee:

Swagerman
06-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Pat, what kind of powder is Reloader 15, is it an extruded powder?

I own two Dillons, but never any experience with their auto powder measure rigs.

Though I do have an old Dillon RL 450 manual powder measure that works very well with the extruded powders. It presently sets a top my C-H 4-D press.

Hope some one can come up with some good advice for you.

Have you tried tapping the side of the powder measure when it does its dumping routine.

I say that because the old manual 450 gets a good jolt every time one shoves in the slide knob...thus, perhaps shaking out the catched powder.

Jim

PatMarlin
06-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah it's short extruded. Maybe it needs cleanin? It throws accurately though.

imashooter2
06-18-2006, 06:07 AM
You aren't doing anything wrong. 24 grains of powder takes time to trickle through the .1XX diameter hole in the charging die. If you were loading .500 S&W, you wouldn't have to wait.

David R
06-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Same as above. Its because you are loading through a 223 powder die. The hole is small so the powder had to find its way through the Die.

David

PatMarlin
06-18-2006, 08:33 AM
THanks guys.

It has been awhile since I used it for .223 and I didn't remember it taking so long to drop.

Like you say- my big calibers drop real fast..........:drinks: