PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cast for 8x56R?

fatelk
02-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I have the Lee .329 mold for this caliber, and thought I'd see if anyone had some experience with it. I slugged my bore at .3315, and realize that I'll need to either lap or "beagle" the mold. What diameter should I aim for with this mold, .001" over bore?

My thought was to use heat treated linotype boolits, and work up some loads that are just light enough to not need gas checks, because I'd rather just pan lube and not mess with an oddball diameter sizer and buy gas checks. Any idea how this might work out?

I understand that with gas checks and hard lead, I could get a pretty much full power load, but this rifle kicks so bad with full loads I'd just as soon shoot reduced loads anyway.

Dutch4122
02-19-2010, 08:18 PM
If the Lee mold doesn't work you can contact BRP Custom Molds in the Vendor Sponsor forum. Bruce has an 8x56r design called the "Oldfeller's Frankenstein." It was designed especially for the M95 Steyr straight pull rifles & carbines. It will drop boolits several thousanths over your bore diameter so you will have plenty to work with when sizing.

Hope this helps,

leadman
02-19-2010, 08:36 PM
If you want to load light load you should use softer alloy to help the bullet slug up to fill the bore.
I recommend air cooled wheel weight at the hardest and see how that works.

You should be able to lap that mold out to get the correct size.

Buckshot
02-20-2010, 04:19 AM
http://www.fototime.com/E5F797678DB6438/standard.jpg

............I load the 4 designs above. A This is a Saeco tapered FNPB scheutzen slug of 210 grs and drops at .336". B is the Lee C338-220-R which drops at about .340" (re-sized to .333" for the Styer). C is the RCBS 33 - 205, which drops at .340" also and is a bit lighter. D is the original Oldfeller from a Mountain Moulds set of blocks he had done when Dan still did full custom moulds.

That Lee .329" mould is probably good for 1 in 20 M95 Straight pulls out there, but it IS usefull for sizing down to use in fat 8mm's.

............Buckshot