PDA

View Full Version : which pot to buy

charger 1
06-17-2006, 06:47 AM
By which pot, I dont mean hasheash or electric lettuce..LOL..For a fella who's had lee(thanks not again) which bottom pour would you recommend for a guy who only pours a max of 100 500grainers at a sitting but likes enough control that he can tune the pot,it makes a wide range of heat,doesnt rot out(lee) and doesnt drible(lee). Thanks all

Four Fingers of Death
06-17-2006, 07:14 AM
I have an RCBS pro melt andhave ha no experience of the others. It has been a perfect pot since I bought it in 1985/6.

It was expensive, but it was the best money I ever spent.

Like the Rolls Royce salesman used to say, 'the quality is enjoyed, long after the cost is forgotten.'

The only minus I can see is that it may be a bit big for your needs. Good lifetime purchase though. Easy to adjust the flow, great to use.

Mick.

Dale53
06-17-2006, 11:52 AM
I have used the original Lyman 11 lb pot with excellent results. I changed to RCBS because I needed the larger size (I would have bought either the Lyman 20 lb or the RCBS but the RCBS was available from my supplier for a good price. All three of the pots will dribble on occasion - lLee does NOT have a corner on that. However, it has only been a minor annoyance, not a major problem. I got lucky on my second pot when I bought it from an estate for small change complete with 20 lbs of lead in a like new pot.

The Lee Pro 4-20 is THE buy when it comes to pots However, if you want to move up, then I would go with the RCBS simply due to their "consumer friendly" attitude. Over the long haul, that can be VERY important.

Dale53

Bucks Owin
06-18-2006, 07:55 PM
By which pot, I dont mean hasheash or electric lettuce..LOL..For a fella who's had lee(thanks not again) which bottom pour would you recommend for a guy who only pours a max of 100 500grainers at a sitting but likes enough control that he can tune the pot,it makes a wide range of heat,doesnt rot out(lee) and doesnt drible(lee). Thanks all

Gee if you have a used Production Pot for cheap, lemme know. I could use a second unit.... ;)

(Still using my first one from the 70's...)

Dennis :Fire:

6pt-sika
06-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I have a Lee 10 pound bottom pour that I cast from and a Lee 20 pound bottom pour that I melt down WW's in .
I have just about talked myself into one of the Lyman 20 pound bottom pour furnaces . The RCBS 22 pound would be alright but they are about $50 more then the Lyman.
I've also started looking at the Magma 90 pound bottom pour . It's about $130 more then the Lyman , and thats another choice I haven't totally given up on . www.magmaengineering.com/item.php?id=5
:drinks:

Beau Cassidy
06-18-2006, 10:00 PM
The Magma 90 lber. would be a good choice but it is going to require a 220 and will be throwing of a LOT of heat/BTU's once up to operating temp. That's something to be considered when casting in the summer. For me, the 40 lber. has been just wonderful for regular use with the 10 and 20 lb Lees sitting in the shadows for small batches and specialized use. I justified spending the extra $150 or so by considering it a lifetime investment. To summarize what a fellow listmember was told on another thread, the enjoyment will be there long after you remember what you paid for it. I couldn't say that for the Lee's for regular use.

Beau

6pt-sika
06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
The Magma 90 lber. would be a good choice but it is going to require a 220 and will be throwing of a LOT of heat/BTU's once up to operating temp. That's something to be considered when casting in the summer. For me, the 40 lber. has been just wonderful for regular use with the 10 and 20 lb Lees sitting in the shadows for small batches and specialized use. I justified spending the extra $150 or so by considering it a lifetime investment. To summarize what a fellow listmember was told on another thread, the enjoyment will be there long after you remember what you paid for it. I couldn't say that for the Lee's for regular use.

Beau

Is the 40 pounder bottom pour as well ?

From the picture I thought it wasn't and thats why I was more intrested in the 90.

Beau Cassidy
06-19-2006, 07:45 AM
The 40 is a bottom pour. You can get 1 or two spouts.

Beau

475/480
06-19-2006, 12:06 PM
I bought the Master Pot 40 Lb earlier this year after ladle casting for a few years, I should have done it years ago also bought both spout fittings.

Sean

6pt-sika
06-19-2006, 02:09 PM
That 40 pounder should make short work of smelting WW's provided a person has enough molds [smilie=1: