PDA

View Full Version : Increasing mould diameter

prickett
02-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I read Lee's FAQ on increasing bullet diameter by placing paper in your mould. Can someone describe the process as Lee's FAQ is pretty unclear.

I'm casting with a Lee 6 banger. Where exactly do you place the paper? I'd image two paper strips, one strip on either side of the cavities?

Lee says to "be sure you liberally lube the mold blocks in front of and behind the bullet cavity". Not sure where they are referring to. Do they mean beside and below the cavity? Behind, to me, would be the outside of the mould block.

If anyone has a picture, that would be a great help.

TIA

Slow Elk 45/70
02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Pickett, Hullo and Welcome.,..You won't be happy trying to use paper...go to the classics & stickies and look for Beagleing... From a member here, you can use high temp tape{wood stove pipe duct tape] regular duct tape won't do it... There is another method that works better IMHO, and that is Lementing....this works great on aluminum molds, very easy, there is info in Castpics on this procedure also. Good Casting[smilie=1::drinks:

prickett
02-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Pickett, Hullo and Welcome.,..You won't be happy trying to use paper...go to the classics & stickies and look for Beagleing... From a member here, you can use high temp tape{wood stove pipe duct tape] regular duct tape won't do it... There is another method that works better IMHO, and that is Lementing....this works great on aluminum molds, very easy, there is info in Castpics on this procedure also. Good Casting[smilie=1::drinks:

Thanks for the info. My question still stands with regards to the placement, whether I use paper or tape (tape does sound like a better solution, BTW).

I do intend to Leement, though mainly for better bullet drop out. The article about using tape suggests that Leementing isn't a good way to increase the diameter (thus the tape).

02-18-2010, 12:23 AM
prickett,

Photographs in the "beagling" post show tape placement.

leftiye
02-18-2010, 03:55 AM
A strip at each end of one of the mold blocks, and maybe a small strip on the middle of the bottom has worked for me. It's high temperature flue tape. Get it at Ace hardware stores.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
OK Pickett, I understand your position, but for a permanent fix for a small mold diameter, honing the cavities .001-.003 is very easy to do, in spite of what the thread may say.....been doing this a long time and you will find that the tape method is a hassle in my Humble Opinion.
Keeping everything constant for large quantities of boolits is hard to do with tape. Good Luck

prickett
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
OK Pickett, I understand your position, but for a permanent fix for a small mold diameter, honing the cavities .001-.003 is very easy to do, in spite of what the thread may say.....been doing this a long time and you will find that the tape method is a hassle in my Humble Opinion.
Keeping everything constant for large quantities of boolits is hard to do with tape. Good Luck

My long term goal - if the enlarged bullet due to tape eliminates leading - is to simply buy a .357/.38 mould to cast for my 9mm. The tape is short term to determine whether this in fact fixes my leading problem.

Thanks all for the info!