PDA

View Full Version : My dream was a wake up call

DLCTEX
02-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I rarely remember a dream. It's been years since I was able to remember one. Sometimes I feel that I dreamed, but just can't bring it to mind. Sunday morning I was awakened by a dream that my wife and I were awakened by someone being in the house. We assumed it was our son from college who had said he may be home on the weekend. (This was a real fact in the dream). I dressed and went into the living room to find someone I didn't know standing there. He acted very calm, so I asked who he was and he was very coy and said you don't know who I am? Then another man came from the bathroom and appeared to have just showered. He was a very rough looking character and I knew these guys were up to no good. I realized my 1911 was locked in my truck in a locked briefcase and all other guns were locked in safes in the garage. (All this was true) I awakened at this point and remembered, after some thought, that I have a 25 auto in the bedroom, but hadn't seen it in so long it didn't come to mind readily. The realness of the dream really caused me to examine my readiness for trouble. Now the 1911 comes in the house with me at the end of the day and the briefcase is unlocked and by my bed. I am considering a lock box with fast access for the bedroom to keep my 38 in. A silly dream, or a wake up call? I'm taking no chances. Are you ready?

Cherokee
02-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Never hurts to be prepared, whatever the dream was. Give some thought as to what you would do and tell your wife so she will be prepared too, and not get in the way or slow you down.

Hardcast416taylor
02-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Unfortunately, your dream has too often been played out in reality. The boldness of these bottom feeders in our society is getting more common than rare. Good idea for the 1911.Robert

Trey45
02-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Your subconcious was trying to tell you something, good thing you listened.

Wayne Smith
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
My carry Colt Agent is beside the bed every night. Got a couple other guns stashed around the house. No grandchildren yet. My son has his swords in his room. My wife says she feels sorry for the guy who breaks in!

1Shirt
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
The Boy Scout motto says it all!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Tazman1602
02-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Rare chance of that happening at my house. First they have to get by the dogs............the dogs I feed peanut butter crackers to every night.

I sleep with a loaded .44 Special in the headboard of the bed and two .45's with the clips ready to drive home if needed. Wife has her .38 in her side of the bed loaded and ready to go.

No grandkids.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone's not out to get me.

Two years ago my 25 year old daughter was sleeping over on the couch. She woke me up after I heard the dogs and said she'd seen two guys in stocking caps looking in the front window -- and I'm WAY out in the country.

I had time so I grabbed my el cheapo Norinco side by side 12 gauge and was shoving buckshot in it when I came around the corner and those two looking in the window saw me level the shotgun and took off.

I let the dogs out and gave them the simple command, very loudly "Sic Balls" as I was walking out.

They later broke into my mom's house down the road but little brother came upstair with a 12 gauge long tom side by side.

I bet it took them a month to get the brown stains out of their underwear and we've never had any problems before nor after..........

..............but you never do really know.

As a sidenote, the police showed up 45 minutes later and they did catch the two about three miles away, but 45 minutes is enough time to get my whole family dead...............

Art

OutHuntn84
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Have a good Friend who carries all the time, even at home. One day he has a dream that someone broke in while he was in the shower and he was SOL. Now he has a SS Smith 38spl in a lil plastic container on its own lil soap dish, just in case. Like the boy scouts say "Always be prepared".
BTW IMHO Everyone that lives in your home should no "the plan". I even bought our house with "the plan" in mind. My wife, who is not a big gun nut, but is like a momma bear when it comes to our son, Insist we go over the plan from time to time and likes to keep me on my toes with the "what ifs".

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone's not out to get me.

Statistically they are out to get you and you should be paranoid! :Fire:

geargnasher
02-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Biggest issue I have is Mexican (presumably) illegals migrating across my property at night. Had several encounters through the years, and I keep prepared. In the past most were very peaceful young men looking for work so they could send money home to their families in Mexico. Long ago I have been known to cook breakfast and filled the water jugs for more than one small group of these men as they were passing through, but that has all changed, including the legality of assisting an illegal. Mostly seems about drug runners and such, most illegals are becoming desparate and potentially violent.

The motion sensor floods went off the other night right after a flashlight beam payed across the curtains of our bedroom, made me realize just how long it really takes to get a flashlight and my bedside gun into action. We all should spend a few deliberate minutes rehearsing the "drill", because when you need to act in the moment, you are thinking about a zillion things NOT related to getting armed and illuminated and it really slows the process down if you haven't practiced enough to make it automatic.

Gear

Storydude
02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Everyone in my house knows..If the dogs alert @ 0dark30, DO NOT GET OUT OF BED AND STAND UP. Hit the floor, because when I come around the corner, I'm spraying at 35" above it.

You ignore the 2 locked doors at every entry point, the 135Lb ANGRY dog and the verbal command to VACATE NOW, you deserve the 36 .30 cal pellets you'll catch from my 930.

She sits loaded, chambered and off safe within easy reach of my bed.

jdgabbard
02-17-2010, 05:33 PM
A few years ago, when I had just came home from my last deployment overseas, the lady of the house and I were asleep in bed. I suddenly awoke to what sounded like someone fiddling with the window. Before I even realized what I heard, or that I was awake, I was already up and clearing the house with my 65 Smith. I'm guessing the thugs decided it was in their best interests to find another house, because they took off as soon as they saw the glint of steel coming around the corner.

Long story short. Handguns, while tools like rifles or pliers, are meant to be a defensive tool. They should be handy, and they should be loaded. In my bedroom there are 4 loaded and easily accessible firearms. My 38 airweight snub that I carry, my 65 smith, her 38 snub, and a Mossberg 500 with a Butler Creek Side-Folding stock. The fact is that Tom guns are a little long to use in close quarters, I known this for some time, as I've had the pleasure of using one overseas.

Fact is, I'm prepared.

Bill*
02-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Everyone in my house knows..If the dogs alert @ 0dark30, DO NOT GET OUT OF BED AND STAND UP. Hit the floor, because when I come around the corner, I'm spraying at 35" above it.

You ignore the 2 locked doors at every entry point, the 135Lb ANGRY dog and the verbal command to VACATE NOW, you deserve the 36 .30 cal pellets you'll catch from my 930.

She sits loaded, chambered and off safe within easy reach of my bed.

I hope you never have a burglar, but I think it might be prudent to identify the threat before vaporizing it

Harter66
02-17-2010, 11:28 PM
I am well armed ready but I think might be a little slow. I do live in a gated gaurded neighborhood about 50ft from the desert. There's 200lbs of pitbulls that sleep in the entryways. Honey has a 9. I've got a 357 or a 45. I used to be a volnteer firefighter I would hit the floor in my pants and be out of the driveway in 90sec flat. I lived in a rural neihborhood then. I had 1 of my kids come home early ,he tells me a 38 may as well be a 16"howidzer.

grages
02-17-2010, 11:57 PM
I have a split plan house, front door separates the master bedroom from my daughter's room.

I have 2 of these, one in the laundry room by the garage door, the other in the linen closet by the back bedrooms.

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/personal_and_quick_access_safes/images/pds-500.jpg

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/personal_and_quick_access_safes/pds-500.html

And one similar one by the bed

We live in a safe neighborhood but you never know. Everyday I hear about home invasions. I am prepared as best as I can.

All contain autos, loaded and ready to fire. The combo is the safety. Each has a spare clip and a box of ammo for that auto, and half a box for the other autos. My goal is to have 3 identical weapons one for each container eventually. I haven't been able to spend the money for that last part plus I'm still trying to select a weapon/caliper that both my girls can handle well.

Oh, and my wife and I practice opening the combos in the dark. When my daughter is old enough I will teach her the combos.

Am I crazy! NO, just prepared.

Shawn

Buckshot
02-18-2010, 01:19 AM
...........DLCTEX, I'm with you. I'd often thought about all the firearms I had and how inaccesable they all were. Along with that I'd thought about putting a 38 revolver in my and Donna's nightstands. But then I've often told people who asked me about home protection firearms that a short barreled 12ga pump was the best.

I'd never taken my own advice. The only shotgun I have is my grandfathers LeFever 12ga Nitro Special and it has 28" barrels. Also a couple times it stuck me how stupid it would be to have 100+ rifles and 9 handguns available but to become a victim because none were to hand.

I suppose it was about a month ago Big 5 Sporting Goods had Mossberg M500, 12 guages on sale with a 28" modified barrel and a 20" cylinder bore barrel combo for $279. I bought one. It now resides (chamber empty, mag loaded with 5 trap rounds) between Donna's nightstand and dresser, which is away from the bedroom door.

Since the bedroom is at one end of the house I put the M67 Smith on a shelf in a kitchen cabinet, since it's on the other end of the house. Now I won't feel like such a moron should an occasion arise (hope it never does) where I'd need one.

..............Buckshot

lwknight
02-18-2010, 04:28 AM
It is a pain to be always vigilant about SD. Having access to a gun seems to parallel leaving the cell phone and walking to the other end of the house and it decides to ring. Few people are going to live a life where you have to have a weapon on their person all the time and having guns stashed around the house can be tricky. If there are children involved then its really sticky. One thing is that you would not want an intruder to find one of your guns to use it against you. Even worse if you are not home and they get in while you are coming home to catch them being prepared for you!!

I got no answers for the above but, did want to point out that for most of us , it would be prudent to place the nightstand gun in such a manner that you would have to do something more than simply grabbing the gun. If you are startled from a deep sleep , you could be disoriented and dangerous. I keep my nightstand gun with the drawer closed so that I would have to be awake enough to actually sit up and reach to open the drawer to retrieve the gun.

I have heard stories of people sleeping with a gun under the pillow and such. Thats just insanity. What if you start acting out a dream?

No info from me. Just a few thoughts.

nicholst55
02-18-2010, 04:54 AM
When I'm in the States, I sleep with a Remington M870 Magnum (with a mounted Surefire light) next to the bed. I keep it loaded, but no round chambered, and a 6-round Sidesaddle mounted to the receiver full of buckshot. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and doubtless will until the day/night I NEED the gun.

No children - they're grown and married. That greatly reduces my concerns about over penetration or accidentally shooting a family member. The Surefire will help tremendously in that regard, too.

I'm actually considering switching to a short-barreled AR-15 (SBR), because it will maneuver so much more easily than the 870 and I can have 30 rounds available. Not that I'll need 30 rounds. I'm more comfortable with the AR-15 due to carrying an M16 for 20 years and working with them every day. Let's say I'm better trained with the AR-15. I sincerely hope to never have to utilize that training, especially in my own home.

4570guy
02-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Since I have young children in the house, keeping a loaded shotgun accessable is not really an option for me. The wife and I both keep pistols in our bedstand safes. These are those pushbutton safes you can buy at Academy or J&G sales for handguns that use the finger pattern combination. She's not real comfortable shooting my .45 so I bought her a Bersa .380 which she really likes. With the home invasions seemingly on the increase, we've also taken to setting our house alarm every night when we go to bed. At least that would serve to wake us up immediately. My lab would bark, but she barks at all manner of critters all night, so I doubt I'd pay attention to her.

1874Sharps
02-18-2010, 09:28 AM
The things we dream are interesting, are they not? Dreams tell us the things we know deep inside, often in wild and exagerated ways, but in ways that through honest introspection can be understood. God spoke to people in dreams in the Old and New Testaments and I believe God still does. Listen to that still small voice.

KCSO
02-18-2010, 10:19 AM
The rubber gun, the missing gun are signs of preformance anxiety. You sub consious is telling you you are not prepared. Put the 1911 where you can get it and go out and spend some range time! Actually this or a variation of this is a real common dream for LEO's especially when stressed. Every time I wake up clutching a gun that won't shoot or come out of the holster I know it's time to put in some serious practice.

Uncle R.
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
The things we dream are interesting, are they not? Dreams tell us the things we know deep inside, often in wild and exagerated ways, but in ways that through honest introspection can be understood. God spoke to people in dreams in the Old and New Testaments and I believe God still does. Listen to that still small voice.

Well said - or rather well written, and I agree. If a man wishes to live happily with himself I believe he needs to find a quiet place now and then where he can take out his soul and examine it for wear and stains. Dreams honestly pondered can often help identify the areas that most need his attention.

lwknight
02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
There are a lot of people that share the 100 pound trigger pull , the magazine keeps falling out , find ammo but its the wrong caliber dreams.

Pepe Ray
02-18-2010, 11:58 AM
For those of you who have children in the house, your probably not adequately prepaired, and with good reason.
This is not an insurmountable problem.
The thing that makes children such a kink in your plan is their unquenched curiosity. The youngster that seems to be the most trustworthy and responsible can and will have weak moments. And most of them could defeat a Walmart safe given 30 minuits alone.
My solution is to satisfy the curiousity. It may take more than one trip to the range and possibly I have an advantage in that I have my own range. You may be inconvenienced but when the treatment is finished the relief you feel will be worth it.
Stock up with ammo (.22 RF to start), select the most likely FA . the ones that would be the most tempting, and commence an indoctrination program of FA handeling and safety. At the end of each session encourage them to shoot as much as they can stand. Some youngsters will make you question whether or not your finances will last but you'll see as sessions continue the amount of ammo expended will diminish. Then switch to a bigger FA. and repeat.
Throughout this program you must assure the kids that they can shoot any time the desire takes them, all thats needed is to ask.

Sometimes even children with diminished capacity can be trained to be safely trusted around FA although I'd be very circumspect about who/which professionals I asked about assistance in this. That's another subject.

Remember, they're still children. God gave them parents for a reason.

Pepe Ray

KCSO
02-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Wax loads or gluelits are also a good way to get in the trigger time you need no matter where or when. A box with a blanket in back to stop the slugs and all you need are primers. The whole family can be involved and even the kids can shoot a REAL gun.

ghh3rd
02-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Since I got my carry permit a year ago, I've had my gun (mostly my .38 SW 642 snub -- Glock 27 otherwise) with me, in my pocket... always cept for in Banks and Post Offices. My pants are folded, with the gun pocket on top, on the floor next to me at night, just in case the dogs aren't enough.

Joneser
02-19-2010, 03:32 AM
3 pistols....not 1 in the bedroom...thanks for changing my routine.

Jal5
02-19-2010, 10:51 AM
It is a good wake up call and reminder to be prepared.

No kids in my house and we have one pistol and a 12 ga. pump in the bedroom. When the grandkids come over these get put away in the safe with the rest of the firearms in the house.

We are living in scary times....

exile
02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
We keep a Glock 17 handy at our house, no children. I have thought about a shotgun many times, but want to keep one hand free to open doors, dial a phone, etc.,.

Where are you guys at on the house clearing debate? Gun mags used to be big on house clearing, but now some seem to say "stay put". Of course, here in NE we have a stupid, stupid, unconstitutional law that requires us to retreat in our own homes. That needs to be changed.

Anyway, I agree that dreams can be a wake-up call. If, as in this case, the problems presented in the dreams are real problems, I guess it makes sense to act on them.

exile

HABCAN
02-19-2010, 12:22 PM
When my kids were tykes, I did as Pepe Ray has posted above. Never had a problem, and they are all out on their own now.

Kanuckistani Law also 'requires' one to retreat, but there is no place to retreat TO from my bedroom. Shucks!

Char-Gar
02-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Beside the bed is a 12 gage double coach gun with 20" bbls. It is loaded with 3" magnum 000 buckshot. Kicks like a mule, but lordy I would not want to be on the receiving end. Just the thought of taking a load of that stuff center mass makes me queasy.

I have a good old Ithaca Police Special 12 ga pump, but I will stick with the double. I think the "Oh S%^t, factor of somebody looking into those twin muzzles is worth quite a lot.

In the night stand or under a pillow is a 45 auto or two, loaded and ready to go.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-19-2010, 02:11 PM
We have outside motion sensor (driveway alarms) which sends our dog nuts!

We also leave a light outside on . . . we live in a town house, so ther are only two sides we need to protect.

Inside we have our guns loaded and ready . . . I carry mine until I go to bed . . . then it is beside the double 12 ga!

My wife and I both go through scenario's of what we should do . . . then act them out with unloaded guns . . . not only is it fun, but we each critic each other, and practice until we are both comfortable . . . (No, we do not play the part of the bad guy, so no guns pointed at us) Sometimes it is just a yell "bad guy in the kitchen" and watch the other do what we rehearsed . . .

God has ways of warning us . . . we need to be ready . . . are you ready? What if you should die? Is your estate in order?

Freightman
02-19-2010, 03:00 PM
We had a rash of home invasions where the women would knock on the door and then the man or men would overpower the one who answered. Well I had been to the range and had my SAA cleaning it , and had just put the cylinder in when the door bell rang 9:30 PM I had the SAA in my hand and started to the door which is 60' from my chair in the den. The person must have seen the SAA (it is quite large) and I saw her and a man exiting my property.
Well I called my neighbors and alerted them as everyone on my block has guns, and most know how to use them
We haven't had any one ringing door bells since.
Saw a show and ZZTop was on it and the man who was dating his play like daughter introduced him to ZZ and here is what he had to say "Son I am from Texas and I have getars and I have guns and I play both very well" So I am form Texas and I have GUNS and know how to play with them well.

jleneave
02-19-2010, 04:54 PM
The rubber gun, the missing gun are signs of preformance anxiety. You sub consious is telling you you are not prepared. Put the 1911 where you can get it and go out and spend some range time! Actually this or a variation of this is a real common dream for LEO's especially when stressed. Every time I wake up clutching a gun that won't shoot or come out of the holster I know it's time to put in some serious practice.

Before I retired from LE I used to have a reoccurring dream that I was in a shootout and I would make good solid hits on the bad guy but he would never go down. It was like the bullets just didn’t have any effect on him whatsoever no matter how many times I shot him. Since retiring I only have that dream occasionally, but I still wake up in a cold sweat when I do have it.

For those of you who have children in the house, your probably not adequately prepaired, and with good reason.
This is not an insurmountable problem.
The thing that makes children such a kink in your plan is their unquenched curiosity. The youngster that seems to be the most trustworthy and responsible can and will have weak moments. And most of them could defeat a Walmart safe given 30 minuits alone.
My solution is to satisfy the curiousity. It may take more than one trip to the range and possibly I have an advantage in that I have my own range. You may be inconvenienced but when the treatment is finished the relief you feel will be worth it.
Stock up with ammo (.22 RF to start), select the most likely FA . the ones that would be the most tempting, and commence an indoctrination program of FA handeling and safety. At the end of each session encourage them to shoot as much as they can stand. Some youngsters will make you question whether or not your finances will last but you'll see as sessions continue the amount of ammo expended will diminish. Then switch to a bigger FA. and repeat.
Throughout this program you must assure the kids that they can shoot any time the desire takes them, all thats needed is to ask.

Sometimes even children with diminished capacity can be trained to be safely trusted around FA although I'd be very circumspect about who/which professionals I asked about assistance in this. That's another subject.

Remember, they're still children. God gave them parents for a reason.

Pepe Ray

I totally agree with you on this point. I believe if you take away all the curiosity and taboo of firearms and teach youngsters firearms safety you are way better off. I have always told my kids that they could shoot anytime that they wanted all they had to do was ask. The only thing that I asked for in return was for them to ask for permission before touching any firearms in the house and if they wanted to look at or handle one all they had to do was ask. We are lucky enough to live out in the county and I have a small range in the back yard where we can shoot out to about 150 yards. So anytime they want to shoot all it takes is a walk to the backyard. They were also taught firearms safety at a very young age. I Watch them very closely to make sure that they handle firearms safely and I even quiz them from time to time on the safety rules. I have a 4 year old daughter who loves to help me reload and shoot her little .22 single shot rifle. We were loading up some 5.56mm/.223 ammo the other night and she asked when she could shoot my AR LE4. I told her that it would probably be a couple more years and she told me that she couldn’t wait that long. She is showing more interest in firearms and shooting than any of her older siblings, I just hope that she stays with it. She shows more knowledge about firearms and firearms safety than kids I know who are in their teens! If you can’t tell, I am very proud of her!

Jody

lwknight
02-19-2010, 06:12 PM
When my kids were small , they had a curiosity about matches. I could not be comfortable with either being unwatched cause they would find a match somewhere. Finally I had a bunch of leaves in numerous piles and I made them burn the piles. It was hot and we were dry and I made them finish burning all the leaves piles then we burned some brush piles and had to keep the grass fires beat out till the piles burned down. Guess what? No more playing with matches. The urge just got up and left.

Now I would not suggest making kids shoot against their will cause that might sour a potentially good shooter from guns. But teaching gun safety and letting them shoot , should help with the curiosity thing.

Storydude
02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I hope you never have a burglar, but I think it might be prudent to identify the threat before vaporizing it

It's in my house after lights out, it's a threat.

Dog will not alert on any of my family members, even sneaking in after dark.

If you lived where I do, you'd feel the same way. There is a reason all of my entry doors are doubled up. ;)

hydraulic
02-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Excile & KCSO:

LB 680 is before committee now. Call your senator, any senator, and tell him to support Nebraska's Castle Doctrine Bill.

Dorf
02-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Good "Read"! I especially like the "Pepe Ray Approach" to teaching kids about firearms as it worked well with my kids. We also added that they could have a box of shells for any gun in the house if they got "clean" dental checkups. The ammo was a lot cheaper than the dentist!

John in WYO
03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
DLCTEX and others,
Buy and read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker and you'll pay close attention to those little warnings. Have the lady in your life read it also.

In 1999 I was living in Gillette WY and the kids were in school. Wife and I decided to take I-90 to Buffalo and head up into the Bighorn Mountains for a drive. As we climbed Hwy 16 my (ex) wife got real quiet.
I asked her what was the matter. She said "Nothin'".
As we continued up the hill it started to lightly rain.

I suddenly got a striking visual mental image of us in the mangled car, both of us bleeding heavily. I was looking at her saying "We don't have a will."

She was looking more concerned as we drove along.

I looked over at her and said "What's the matter with you?"

She said "I have a real bad feeling about going up this hill."

I turned around and we headed down the mountain. I don't know what was waiting up there but I wasn't going to go find out.

Pay attention to those feelings, especially when you BOTH get them.

Recluse
03-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Before I retired from LE I used to have a reoccurring dream that I was in a shootout and I would make good solid hits on the bad guy but he would never go down. It was like the bullets just didn’t have any effect on him whatsoever no matter how many times I shot him. Since retiring I only have that dream occasionally, but I still wake up in a cold sweat when I do have it.

Must be The Cop's Nightmare.

I had that dream, frequently, during my badge-toting day. Like you, it has lessened in frequency, but still occurs. Doesn't matter which gun, what circumstances or nothing--I've "shot" the bad guys in my dreams with everything from .22's to 12-gauge slugs and nothing. Doesn't faze them, they just keep coming and I know I'm going to die at that point.

And like you, I wake up in a cold sweat and no matter what, cannot get back to sleep.

:coffee:

9.3X62AL
03-09-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm on close approach to five years of retirement from cop work, and "those dreams" occur less frequently as time goes on.

That said--I had an interlude about 2 years back that required deployment of the 870 at my front door to oblige "Plan B" on the part of some fool that started to charge up my driveway and through the front yard gate. I charged the chamber as he came through the gate (about 60 feet from the front door). He stopped abruptly, turned about, and returned to his idling Chevy truck forthwith. I don't know what combo of stupid, meth, thug, and arrogance was at play that evening, but I wanted no portion of same. I called the deputies, but really didn't have much detail for them--just a cruddy white dude in a cruddy white Chevy truck that had a 6-cylinder engine with exhaust manifold leak. Idjit.

44fanatic
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Excellent thread.

All of my older kids who live locally know to call and to knock on the door after lights out...I have told them that and remind them on a regular basis. My dogs let out an initial bark when ever the front door opens unless it is me or the wife coming in from the vehicles.

My 9mm is in my nightstand with a magazine w/ HP's. Pull the slide and its hot. I also keep a surefire flashlight there. It may just give me that 1/2 second to make a positive target ID.

When I am gone, the Winchester 12ga pump goes in the closet for my wife. She knows that the sound of chambering it can be heard through out the house. As all of the bedrooms are upstairs, she can cover the top of the stairs and have a visual on any intruder before they can hit the top of the stairs.

DLCTEX
03-09-2010, 09:42 AM
When my parents first married my dad drove a Grayhound bus. One night he was scheduled to drive and was supposed to be gone until the next day. Due to scheduling confusion he didn't drive that night and returned home long after mom went to bed. He decided to not wake her and tried to pick the lock to the front door. Mom blew a hole in the door with a 45 he had left with her for protection. He never tried to enter the house unannounced at night again. Oh, and mom had aimed high to fire the warning shot.

BOOM BOOM
03-10-2010, 07:26 PM
HI,
YIKES!
Fore warned is forearmed.

"If ye are prepaired , ye shall not fear." D&C

beagle
03-10-2010, 07:39 PM
That's not a dream but a nightmare. My security requires two High Powers. One by the bed at night which I check religeously before bed and one at the back door with an 870 backup.

No kids though which makes a difference.

Guess I spent too much time in the military to not "be prepared"./beagle

Paul B
03-12-2010, 01:37 AM
How mny here aw that video on the news where a homeowner in Tucson.chased some home invaders from his house with gunfire? That was two blocks from my front door. Damn gangbanger activity in my neighborhood has gotten real bad lately. My next door neighbor got burglarized about three months ago. I have goten to the point that I wear my 9MM on my hip during waking hoursand have 12 ga. pump loaded with 00 bockshot under the bed during the day and propped up between the nightstand and the bed at night. Our plan should a break in occur is lock ourselves in the bedroom and cover the door with the shotgun. We have a phone in the bedroom but if they cut the line, I also have my cell phone which my wife will use to get 911. I'll yell out that I have 911 on the line and am armed and I will shoot. That shotgun holds 7 rounds in the magazine and one up the spout and is the type where you can hold the trigger back and pump away. No disconnector to have to reset.
I certainly don't want to shoot anyone but my home is my castle and I'm prepared to repel all boarders.
Paul B.