PDA

View Full Version : Lee C312-155-2R Bullet sized to .314

louscip
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm taking the advise of quite a few folks on-line and taking a C312-155-2R cast bullet and using a Lee .314 sizer die to install a gas check (allowing me to keep my cast bullets as cast at about .312). The sizing die crimps the gas check on just fine, but my bullet is slightly loose when seated into the cartridge. This is because my gas check diameter is at .314 due to the sizing die. It appears to be opening up the mouth of my case enough so that my bullet is loose.

Does anyone out there use the Lee .314 bullet sizer with a C312-155-2R cast bullet? Can I use the Lee factory crimp die to snug it up? I'm new at casting bullets and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the FC die on a cast bullet.

35remington
02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Here's an alternative:

If you use the Lee FC die to size just the gascheck, you should be fine. Here's how to do it.

Insert the gc'd bullet from the top of the FC die and use it to crimp the gascheck heel more tightly on the bullet, reducing its diameter to less than .314."

Then load it in the cartridge.

I have your exact sizing die combo.....314", because I wanted to use what was in stock.

This way you get tight caseneck fit, which is not to be replaced with a crimp...it doesn't work as well, as there's no substitute for it.

A small needlenose pliers gives a little extra reach into the FC die. Gently grip the parallel sided portion of the bullet when lowering it into the die to crimp the gascheck heel with the collet.

AviatorTroy
02-16-2010, 10:59 PM
louscip, I assume you are loading for the .303? I do pretty much what you describe, well, actually what I do is snap the gas checks on, dip the base of the bullet in heated lube (also thinned way out with alcohol or mineral spirits) and when they dry, I run them through the .314 sizer. Try 16-18gr of 2400 or 9-10 gr of Unique. Or even 6 gr of Bullseye shoots great out of my Enfields.

louscip
02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
AviatorTroy,

I'm loading 7.62x39 cartridges for an AK that slugs out at .311. So you're saying that the gas check will actually shrink if dipped in lube mixed with alcohol or mineral spirits? What kind of lube do you use? How long do you let it soak in the lube?

AviatorTroy
02-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Ahh, imagine that, actually using a bullet for a caliber it was designed for.... :mrgreen:

I also load for this caliber, just not as much....

Regardless, mine are as cast about .313-314 but the gas check recess is small enough that a Hornady gas check just snaps on with a very loose friction fit but will usually stay on long enough to process.

Then I dip in lube which is a mixture of whatever I have laying around, mostly Lee Liquid Alox, some people mix some Johnson Paste wax in with it, but the key is to heat it up and thin it out so it's really watery because you sure don't need much. I'm dipping just up to the crimp groove. If the gas check won't stay on by its self, you can dip the bullet first, then snap the check on, and go from there. Lube under the gas check won't affect anything at all. Then I stand it up on the base to dry. The next morning, I size them and I find that the .314 die just kisses the bullet to wipe it clean, and it does crimp the gas check on.

I actually use this bullet for a TON of different rifles. For .303 and 7.62x39 I size to .314, which doesn't really size it down just for uniformity. Same process shoved through a .310 sizer shoots really well out of, well, all of my .30 caliber rifles really.

Hope this makes sense.

AviatorTroy
02-17-2010, 12:26 AM
For loads read this if you haven't yet...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13453

Calamity Jake
02-17-2010, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=louscip;814376]I'm taking the advise of quite a few folks on-line and taking a C312-155-2R cast bullet and using a Lee .314 sizer die to install a gas check (allowing me to keep my cast bullets as cast at about .312). The sizing die crimps the gas check on just fine, but my bullet is slightly loose when seated into the cartridge. This is because my gas check diameter is at .314 due to the sizing die. It appears to be opening up the mouth of my case enough so that my bullet is loose. QUOTE]

Why don't you just buy a .312 sizer? Problem solved

You may need it later anyway

jdgabbard
02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Why don't you just buy a .312 sizer? Problem solved

You may need it later anyway

Thats kinda what I was thinking...

louscip
02-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Lee doesn't make a .312 sizing die. They make a .311 and a 314. I can't afford a Lube sizer at the moment.

louscip
02-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Just found out that Lee will custom make a bullet sizing kit for you in any diameter. I wish I knew that before I ordered the .314, but who knows...I'll probably need it some day. Thanks for all the info.

Ole
02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
If you want/need a .312 sizer, then you could always buy a .311 and take the emery cloth to it to make it a .312".

;)

HORNET
02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Forum Member Buckshot also makes the Lee-style push-thru sizers in any diameter. His prices and delivery are better than Lee's. Send him a P.M.