PDA

View Full Version : Do me a favor -- Shoot my bullets! (.44 mag)

Hiaboo
02-16-2010, 02:02 AM
I need someone to shoot some (40 ct) of my bullets that I cast and lubed with BAC as found here (http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/) a bit stiff but should perform well in medium to hotter loads- I cast these for a friend but he does not reload, and I do not have a .44 on hand and don't know anybody locally who does have a .44 in some flavor.

They are 220gr bullets cast out of a RCBS mold, as is, mostly at .428 *a mite small I know - but they should do ok*

I will send you some bullets and in exchange, you fire them and get back to me on the results. I care not how you load them - When I loaded them for my friend, I do .5 over the minimum load listed in the 47th edition Lyman (don't remember the weight of the powder right now, don't have my notes) with unique.

I just ask on their performance... (sooner the better)

First person who says they will take it and deliver results, will get the boolits mailed to them, my expense.

By the way, If you want me to re-lube them to fill the 2nd groove I will. However I believe that is the crimp groove.

Pictures --

http://ftp.fairybot.com/fairy/bulletiron/IMG_2954.jpg

http://ftp.fairybot.com/fairy/bulletiron/IMG_2953.jpg

OLPDon
02-16-2010, 02:54 AM
That is a great offer I am sure you will get a quick response. The reason for my reply is 2 fold. Nice looking cast only one suggestion (and I know you didn't ask) the ring mark on the side of Boolit from the push pin from sizeing. Try floating the pin by using bullet lube on the pin were it is placed in the sizer and don't tighen the set screw. The boolit lube will more then hold the pin in place and will float to center of Boolit. You will find that the mark on the one side of the boolit will disappear. I will bet you have a lyman sizer which I also have. The tighting of the set screw offsets the pin and causes a ring mark.

As stated before nice looking cast and a great offer. I look forward to someones report and there good fortune on a great offer.
Don

shootinxd
02-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I'll take em!!!I'll Shoot them BOOLITS.44 super blackhawk

44man
02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Several things I see. First, the boolit is very light. Then judging from the ring, the boolit is either very soft or it took a lot of force to size which means you DID size them. Then they are too small for a Ruger at .428"
What is the boolit size as cast? What is the alloy?
With epoxy, you can make the nose punch fit so it does not damage the nose.
I will say up front that I would not make the boolit work.

Hiaboo
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
As cast, they are .428 really, I measured before and after so if it sized, it didn't do much. The alloy is a unknown mix of range scrap, roofing lead, and other pieces I've had around that I threw in a pot, this acutally yielded about 12bhn+- it is soft. As I had this tested with another member here..

I'm aware of the ring, the sizer top punch is for a SWC boolit, which I do not have the proper sizer for this round nose which the meplat is wider at that point than the SWC ah well. I'll have to get another one and make my own as 44man suggested.

Thank you for the advice, OLPdon it makes sense, I will try this.

44man
02-16-2010, 12:23 PM
As cast, they are .428 really, I measured before and after so if it sized, it didn't do much. The alloy is a unknown mix of range scrap, roofing lead, and other pieces I've had around that I threw in a pot, this acutally yielded about 12bhn+- it is soft. As I had this tested with another member here..

I'm aware of the ring, the sizer top punch is for a SWC boolit, which I do not have the proper sizer for this round nose which the meplat is wider at that point than the SWC ah well. I'll have to get another one and make my own as 44man suggested.

Thank you for the advice, OLPdon it makes sense, I will try this.
If you could harden the alloy with some linotype or antimony, water drop them, they will expand as they age. They will also cast larger. I think you are too close to pure lead.
They MIGHT shoot OK but I fear leading.
I hope Shootinxd can recover a few boolits and takes some pictures.

OLPDon
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Haiboo:

It also starts the Boolit in a stright line with the sizing die, makes a difference when sizing. Idealy a push through setup is the best for a true run of a boolit. The base of a Boolit and its uniformity is quite important. The last part to leave the muzzle there are a lot of forces there to throw a Boolit off track.

That is why I float my nose punch. It's more then just how good it looks sittin in the case. I have dinged the noses even put punch marks on the nose of boolits with minimal accuracy loss. Now put them dings on the edge of the base and it is a different story.

Don
Keep the faith and keep casting

runfiverun
02-17-2010, 12:02 AM
they are weighted and sized for a 44-40 more than a 44 mag.
the old colts were bbl'd to bout 427.
some die sets won't allow you to seat much larger than 428 and you can forget 430 in them.

geargnasher
02-17-2010, 12:09 AM
they are weighted and sized for a 44-40 more than a 44 mag.
the old colts were bbl'd to bout 427.
some die sets won't allow you to seat much larger than 428 and you can forget 430 in them.

+1, those would be PERFECT in a .44-40, but I don't see them working in a .44 Magnum at ANY velocity. I would drop back and punt.

Gear

44man
02-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes, 44-40, they should do good.

fredj338
02-17-2010, 01:10 PM
+1, those would be PERFECT in a .44-40, but I don't see them working in a .44 Magnum at ANY velocity. I would drop back and punt.

Gear
I am betting the mold is for the 44-40, cast heavy, they would be close to that.

Adam10mm
02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
This is the mold from what I gather.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/images/rcbs/item/FullA/82036.jpg

It's the RCBS .44-200-FN for the .44-40 recommended sizer die is the .428.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=3328&route=C12J059

Hiaboo
02-19-2010, 06:13 PM
I did a bit more looking and those ARE for 44-40's but they may just work alright out of a 44 spl load though..

Mntngoat
02-19-2010, 06:42 PM
i'll shoot some out of a custom 44 special if you want? Sounds like an ideal weight for my 44 special.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Mntngoat/Firearms/Inventory/IMG_1735.jpg

ML

Cowboy5780
02-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I'll be glad to give them a shot if the others fall thru just give me a shout i have a 44
Super Redhawk and a 44 mag rifle too