PDA

View Full Version : ruger project

tuckerdog
02-15-2010, 12:18 PM
i'm having a superblackhawk fully customised so far I've had hammer and triggeer jeweeled action and trigger job now i'm wondering about bbl the 1-20 is great for my keiths but im interested in running some of the heavy weights 300-330 grn would would these be stable in factory twist or when I get my octagon bbl should I get it in 1-18 or so,would the faster twist still b ok with the llighter boolits:veryconfu

stubshaft
02-19-2010, 03:37 AM
1 in 20 will be fine. I've shot boolits of over 350gr. out of my Tender and it has the same twist rate. The key element with Rugers is boolit fit! Just make sure that the cylinder throat in larger than the forcing cone and that there is no restriction where the barrel is screwed in.

Sounds like a beauty. Make sure you post some pics when it is done.

Nobade
02-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Twist is fine, but you'll likely need a taller front sight.

Changeling
03-06-2010, 03:34 PM
i'm having a superblackhawk fully customised so far I've had hammer and triggeer jeweeled action and trigger job now i'm wondering about bbl the 1-20 is great for my keiths but im interested in running some of the heavy weights 300-330 grn would would these be stable in factory twist or when I get my octagon bbl should I get it in 1-18 or so,would the faster twist still b ok with the llighter boolits:veryconfu

Bullet weight has little to do with barrel twist rate, the length of the bullet determines the correct twist rate (even though heavy usually means longer). Actually the slower twist rate will allow a slightly faster bullet, 1-20 is slower than 1-18 and entirely suitable for a 45. It's a little more involved than this but basically this is a fact.