PDA

View Full Version : Lee Question????????????

dromia
06-15-2006, 06:29 PM
OK I've been following the Turret press thread witrh interest, personally I use a Lyman Junior for pistol calibre rounds, mainly 357 Mag and a Redding T7 which I love. The redding serves both as a die storage unit for things like universal decapping and powder dispenser as well as the Bruce B method, includingh a four hole rotation before I'm back to the resizing die, but its the the only way to do it and doesn't add that muich time to the process.

I'd buy an A-A if I got the chance but shipping from the USA makes it not an option.

Anyway lets get onto the Lee issue, I'm a part time fan of some Lee products. Like their dies with the collet and the factory crimp dies being pure genius where appropriate.

Dippers are just a plain common sense must have.

Case trimming methods great if you just want a minimum length, just bought the ball handle for the case trimmer and the damned thing just rotates oround the cutter.

Casting well I find their moulds go out of whack far too quickly after 1,000 bullets or so. I have a 10lb and a 20 lb bottom pour Lee that I don't use for bottom pour anymore mainly because of the chronic Lee drip even after all remedies sugested and applied from this forum. My RCBS pro melt gets all of the work, no drip and ergonomically a pleasure to use. I don't have to have 20 lbs of molten lead at eye level to see if the mould is under the spout or not as I do with the Lee

Presses to date no thanks, I've had a lee "C" press a challenger, a turret and a progressive. The "C" and the Challenger I could see wearing out before my eyes and the turret and progressives required more tweaking than reloading time.

Any way onto my question, colleagues and reviews have been making me think about trying thr Lee Classic Cast and turret presses along with the auto disk powder measure.

I've read all the links from the turret thread and visited the Lee website, but I still am in the dark as to what the maximum weight/volume the auto disk will throw with some thing like Vihtavuori N 140.

My sense from what I've read is that this measure is more geared towards pistol type chrges rather thean rifle, is this so?

Maven
06-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Dromia, You're right about the Lee Auto Disk and pistol powders. Several months ago I tried charging some rifle cases with it (using their rifle charging die) and IMR 4198, whose kernels look like thin mechanical pencil leads. The charge by charge variation was significantly greater than what I could achieve using that same powder and a Lyman #55 powder measure. While it may handle something like AA 5744, H/IMR 4227, or VV N133, I prefer to use it strictly with pistol powders; i.e., those faster than the aforementioned.

454PB
06-15-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm a Lee fan, but having tried several of their powder dispensers, I gave up on them. Talk about the "Lee leak", their powder measures constantly dribble ball powder all over the bench and floor. I like their turret presses and own two of the older three holers and just bought the new four holer classic turret. I've had zero problems with the Lee presses, and mine have loaded many thousands of rounds.

David R
06-15-2006, 10:43 PM
On the trimmer thing. I welded a bolt to the cutter in a T shape. It works great. I formed some '06 brass to 7.65. While trimming down the looong neck, the cutter would get too hot to hang on to. Leverage or grip was not a problem.

Autodisk works with the right powders.

David

PatMarlin
06-15-2006, 10:52 PM
That's about the only thing I don't like with LEE also is the powder measures. The powder scale is a good one.

I bought the classic press right before the came out with the "Classic Turret" which I really need. I was thinking of selling the single press but it's such an awesome machine, I'm keeping it.

All I use my Challeger press for is a powder stand for my RCBS measure and that makes for a solid stand to measure powder.

DLCTEX
06-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I have repeatedly stated on threads on this forum how much I like my Classic turret press. Love it. I have a RCBS rockchucker and rockchucker Jr., A lyman T-mag 6 hole turret, a lee Loadmaster, A Lee 3 hole turret, and none have gotten much use since I got the Classic turret. By using the double stack kit and 2 adjustable charge bars I get 43.5 gr. of Reloader 7 max. I believe there is a die available to operate the perfect powder measure through the universal rifle powder die if you want to load large cartridges that way. As for leaking powder, I have had few problems, and none that weren"t easily solvable in that regard. The auto disc measure is much more consistant in thrown charges than my RCBS And Lyman 55 measures. I do not use ball powders, so can not speak as to that, but the Alliant dot powders, Bullseye, the old alcan 7 (a small flake) , SR7625, etc. work fine. There are instuctions for adjustment of the auto disc in the event of wear causing leakage. The perfect powder measure has a replacable wiper that takes care of things there. I would reccomend that you get the safety prime unit to go with the classic turret.I don't use my lee Auto primes much since getting mine.

Lee
06-16-2006, 12:39 AM
All of my Lee stuff works very well for me. With one exception, well may 2; I'll get to it in a minute.
I've got the Lee press, the challenger, and a 4-hole turret. I've not had tinkering problems with any. Keep 'em lubed, don't pull any dumb stunts and they work very well.
The turret press- make sure and buy a few extra "cams" or "ratchets" or whatever they call 'em nowadays. I used one longer than I should have. Replaced it(took 10 minutes) and made a world of difference. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
The "Lee leak". YEP! anybody out there has a solution, this boy is real interested in hearing it. How do the other guys construct their dispensers NOT to leak??
I haven't loaded more than a few hundred rifle rounds, and for those I either used dippers or a "seperate from the press dispenser".
I have loaded several thousand pistol rounds(still jest a baby there:) ) and the turret press has performed OK for all my work. I hand-prime everything, use presses for the rest. Other than the Lee powder dispenser throwing powder all over the floor(now WHERE did I hear THAT:confused: ) I have no complaints. But of course, with a name like..Lee...how could I?..........................Lee:)

Four Fingers of Death
06-16-2006, 08:57 AM
I use four or five Lee Auto Disk powder measures and they are all I use for pistol loading. they leak a little with 231. It does not seem to be such a problem with the new hopper conversion with the big brass knurled nuts. When loading small charges of AS30 (Clays in the states I think) it will occasionally light load using the micrometer disk, which I have just started using. It works fine if I whack the Rockchucker handle down firmly. Generally though they are so good, I wont bother with anything else, expand and charge in one step, way to go! Mick.

Ranch Dog
06-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I use all the Lee stuff and let me add this information.

I keep the turrets lubed on my 4-hole press and haven't had any problems. I have cycled that lever thousands of rounds. I use a light film of motor oil applied with my finger to the turret.

I use both the Auto Disk and Pro Auto Disk powder measures with both rifle and pistol. I have the Auto Disk set up for my pistol cartridges and the Pro Auto Disk set up for my rifle cartridges with the Double Disk Kit. On both the AD and PAD I use the Adjustable Charge Bar so that I can drop the specific charge I want and not that dictated by a fixed cavity. With the PAD and the Double Disk, one disk is a fixed cavity and the other the Adjustable Charge Bar. One station on my rifle cartridge turret heads is a Rifle Charging Die with the powder measure set on it. I load all my 30-30 Win, 30-30 AI, and 35 Rem cartridges this way. In fact, I use the Auto-Index for a semi-progressive approach to turret loading.

For my straight wall cases; 375 Win, 444 Marlin, 45-70 Govt, & 450 Marlin, I use the Perfect Powder Measure. I pay attention to the torque value for the "Rotor Tension Adjustment" mentioned in the instructions and have eliminated the leak on most powders. The adjustment for powders like BL-C(2) or H110 will require close to 4# but I will say that this has improved with use. With thousands of rounds thrown from this measure, the rotor and metering chamber assembly must have seated for a nice fit. When I started using the PPM and when I was finished using the measure, I would cycle all the powder in the hopper through it rather than just dump it. You can feel any roughness in the rotor and with use that disappeared.

I have been walking all my cartridges through a "ladder" load development and this requires a lot of loads dropped in .1 to .3-grain increments. I use the PPM for this work and it delivers. I verify each dropped charge with a scale and it is very rare to find one off. The CC index on the metering bar works. Upon opening a jug of powder I determine a VMD for that lot of powder and then do the simple math to set the charge on the metering bar.

steveb
06-16-2006, 07:42 PM
The Lee auto disk powder measure in conjuntion with the lee powder though expander die on the Lee turrent press ROCK-N-ROLLS!!!:-D I have the 3 hole turrent press but just got the new Classic turrent press and im gonna bolt her down to the bench this weekend. Its beefy to sat the least!I plan on doing a write up on it compared to the standard on my blog in the near future. Steve

dromia
06-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Thank you for your comment and views gentlemen most valuable.

I think I'll give the powder dispenser a miss, seems as though they were not intended for rifle and it might try my patience too much.

Swagerman
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm on record stating the Lee Classic presses are excellent, both the single stage and the turret models.

I'm also rather down on their powder measures, tried them all and found they don't quite measure up to the industry standard types.

Lee may be stuck with cheap is good and sell a lot of those PMs with the hokey translation sheets, but I'll have to stick to industry standard readings in normal grains.

Maybe some day Lee will make a really industry standard powder measure that reads in normal grains...I hope so...they certainly improved their Classic press models.

Jim

rbstern
06-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't mind the volume conversion of the Lee Auto Disk. I just keep the volume cavity I use in my notes along with the charge weight, so I can quickly set up for that load again.

Four Fingers of Death
06-22-2006, 08:28 PM
I don't mind the volume conversion of the Lee Auto Disk. I just keep the volume cavity I use in my notes along with the charge weight, so I can quickly set up for that load again.

Me too, in fact, I use the disk aperatures when working up a load. I work out what disk setting is the min and max and try loads at each setting between.

I find that a lot of thingsa that I tried and didn't like when I thought about properly and persisted became very useful. The RCBS case kicker i got when they first came out, didn't like it, couldn,t get it to work properly at all. Put it back in the box. Dug it out about 5-10 years later, played with it, thought about it, adapted to it and now wouldn't be without one.
mick.

35remington
06-22-2006, 09:15 PM
I often load at the range using Lee stuff, and without a powder scale. I use the C frame presses for neck sizing, expanding and seating and they have held up well. The hand press can full length size, but the C's have too much spring to do so. Very convenient and useful otherwise, though.

I just use the appropriate disk on the Auto Disk measure, or setting on the Perfect measure and record the numbers in my notes. Increase the charge gradually until the chronograph indicates the desired speed, and measure the actual weight of the thrown or measured charge when I get home, if needed. For a lot of loads I've only got a reference in volume rather than weight, as the Auto Disk meters a lot of my cast bullet powder charges just fine. I hate to weigh when I don't have to.

That way windy days don't cause a problem, and save the headache of a wildly swinging beam on these unsettled range day Saturdays.

I'd also recommend the Auto Disk with the thumb nuts, as it makes changing charges at the range when developing new loads much easier.

I find the Perfect powder measure works very well with the extruded powders, but the very fine ball powders make it a bit gummy to operate.

Overall I'd say I've had pretty good luck with most of the Lee products. I still have, and am using, my first Lee mould, but I tend to take very good care of my moulds and lubricate them well.

Jetwrench
06-28-2006, 02:21 AM
I too take good care of my moulds and have not lost one yet. The bulk of my stuff is Lee, the rest is Hornady. Like it all, got the classic cast and like it too. :redneck: could be but my rounds are on target. JETWRENCH

Maven
06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Question on the Auto Disk hopper with [brass] thumb nuts: If this is used in place of the orignal hopper, can you still use the disks (including the microdisks + riser) or must you use the micrometer adjustment instead? Thanks in advance!

Vegas Vince
06-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Maven, Not sure what you are asking? I have four "Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measures". They have the brass thumb nuts. You can use all the disks with that powder measurer. I have the adjustable charging bar and the double disk kit and they work just fine. I do not have the micro disk but i am sure it will work.

Now the "Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure" does not have the brass thumb nuts. I believe this unit come with four disk. So they should work, but i am not sure. Hope this helps!!:mrgreen:

Vince

Ranch Dog
06-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Question on the Auto Disk hopper with [brass] thumb nuts: If this is used in place of the orignal hopper, can you still use the disks (including the microdisks + riser) or must you use the micrometer adjustment instead? Thanks in advance!

If you have these:

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/3397.jpg

You have the Pro Auto Disk. You can use the disks, Micro Disk, or adjustable charging bar.

Four Fingers of Death
06-29-2006, 01:06 AM
I like the new Auto Disk powder measures. Excellent at working up loads. To change the disk to a different setting, I just turn the reservior to cut off the powder, drop a few times until all of the powder is dumped and returned to the hopper. When this is doen you can remove the reservior without spilling any powder. Great stuff, easy as when you get the hang of it. Mick.

Maven
06-29-2006, 09:25 AM
All, I have deluxe (chromed) Auto-Disk measure (#90578) with a [coarse-threaded Phillip's head] screw-mounted hopper. The problem is the mounting holes in the hopper are right at the hopper's edge and have cracked. I.e., there's not much material there to screw the hopper down securely.* The hopper with brass bolts would be a huge improvement. On the other hand, a new hopper is only $2 + shipping....I'll telephone Lee Precison later to find out whether the brass-bolted one fits my measure.

*I can probably fill these holes with epoxy and D & T, but for $2 is it worth it?

jb12k
06-30-2006, 12:40 PM
OK guys, a question-Can the auto disk be used kike a normal powder measure ? Lee catalog says they MUST be used with powder through expansion die . I recently picked up an older turret press, and am trying to decide whether to stay with 3 hole non indexing or convert to 4 hole auto index. Gotta get at least 6 more turrets, which ever way I go. All my dies are RCBS and Lyman, so no powder through at this point. Naturally, budget is limited, as always. Any suggestions ????

jb12k
07-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Hmmm-Guess I hit the thread too late !

454PB
07-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I have an auto disk and have used it as a stand alone powder measure.

jb12k
07-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks 454PB. I have not even really seen one, just picture in Lee catalog. Is there a handle like on RCBS or what ? Is the bottom threaded so it can be mounted in press, or mounted independently somehow ? Totally in the dark as to how it is supported. I see the Pro has a chain activator on a lever that could be tripped by hand, but can't make out how standard model activates. Thanks Again for any info-jb12k