PDA

View Full Version : Save old fishing weights or melt 'em?

fatelk
02-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I have accumulated a fair amount of lead now, enough to last me quite a while with the small amount of casting that I do.

I have a coffee can full of old fishing weights, from who-knows-where. They look like good weights, but I don't fish. Are these of much use to a fisherman? I'm just wondering if I should save them or just recycle them into ingots.

I'm trying to clean up my garage. I also have several old WWII surplus 5 inch-38 wood and steel training rounds. I sure wish I knew if they had any value or if I should just chuck them. I thought about ebay, but since they are 2.5' long and weigh 30lbs each, shipping would be ridiculous.

Jack Stanley
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Maybe find a fisherman that has connections , a gift to him might find even more bullet alloy for you

Jack

Edubya
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Apparently you don't know about "Flat Rate" shipping. You can send two of those 30# weights for $10.00. If you cold verify that they are pure lead, you could sell them here or on the evil bay for $1.00 @ lb.
EW

fatelk
02-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Sorry, I shouldn't have combined two different subjects. The 30lb items are some old dummy naval cannon training rounds (not in the photo). They are way too big to fit in a flat rate box.

I just thought of a friend who fishes quite a bit. I'll give him a call. If he can't use them I'll just put them out in the shed until I need the lead.

MtGun44
02-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Maybe someone would be willing to pay the shipping. Seems like the training rounds would
be pretty neat cleaned up and standing in the corner. Where are you located?

Bill

Baron von Trollwhack
02-15-2010, 02:53 AM
I once kept a pair of those 5"38s at the corners of my office desk as decor for years.

Clean them up. Sell if you must. Donate to AMVETS, or a local museum. Besides, they won't fit in a flat rate box.

BvT

qajaq59
02-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd give the weights to your buddy and let him know you are looking for wheel weights. You never know, he may know where there is some.

jlchucker
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
My state, in its infinite liberal wisdom, outlawed the use of lead fishing weights. If such is the case where you live, melt them up into ingots to make boolits out of. Save one of each kind though, and mount them on a display board to give to your local historical society.

Rockchucker
02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I'd smelt them into ingots and mix with wheel weights 50/50 with a little tin and shoot em.

the_ursus
02-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Another vote for mixing 50/50 with WW's. I was given a couple commercial trolling cannon balls by a friend that said they were too beat up to fish with for some reason. Anyway, I melted them down (probably 20lbs) and they came out nice and blue (an indication of PURE lead).

Changeling
02-15-2010, 04:11 PM
I think you better price fishing weights, and sell them as such. Ebay, fishing sites, etc,.

The Dove
02-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Melt, smelt, shooooooot!!!! JMHO

The Dove