PDA

View Full Version : CMP Guns

Scrounger
04-29-2005, 03:00 PM
I was just over at my favorite gunshop and they were listing some guns they'd just bought in their books. An M-1 Garand (SA), a 1903A3 (Smith-Corona), and a 1911A1. The Garand ($600) was in excellent shape, the 'A3 ($400) was about VG to Excellent in metal, VG in wood. I didn't pay much attention to the 1911. When I looked at the Smith-Corona my hand twitched and moved toward my wallet but I stifiled the urge; I already have more guns than I'll ever use. These guns, along with a half dozen others, was from a woman whose husband had just died. I have no idea what they paid for them. I'd bet these three came through the NRA/CMP program 50 years ago. Now if I could buy them for what they paid, I probably couldn't resist...

trooperdan
04-29-2005, 04:39 PM
I remember buying 1911's for $11 and M-1 Carbine for $17. I think it was $20 including shipping. At the time, I was on a Nike Herc missle base in Minneapolis; it was 1964 and we were still armed with that cute little carbine! The CO wasn't thrilled when my very own M1 showed up; he insisted I store it in the arms room instead of my barracks room! :) I used one of the original Lee loaders to make ammo for that little cutie; it was my very first reloading! The battery also had some shotty guns we could check out to shoot trap with, right there on the base right beside the airport! I soon had some partners in crime and we started loading shotty gun ammo; I still have some of the old tins of AL-7 and AL-8 we bought; 8 ounce tins that were about a buck fifty each i think. We'd buy a case of clay pigeons every week and shoot them up on the weekend.

Our fun was curtailed when someone who shall remain nameless thought if the trap would sling a clay bird, it should also work to sling a mighty large "firecracker" created by the resident anarchist.. the blamed thing didn't come off the arm until it was at the end of it's stroke and it dumped that four inch "firecracker" right behind us. Blew about a three foot divot outta the colonels putting green!

beagle
04-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Springfields were $10 and $7 shipping.

My 03A3 came from Raritan Arsenal in New Jersey by REA (Railway Express Agency) for you youngin's as there wasn't any "brown" then. You had to go to the depot and pick it up./beagle

Jumptrap
04-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Springfields were $10 and $7 shipping.

My 03A3 came from Raritan Arsenal in New Jersey by REA (Railway Express Agency) for you youngin's as there wasn't any "brown" then. You had to go to the depot and pick it up./beagle

John, was this just after WW 1? HAR!

Shepherd2
04-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Beagle - I remember REA making deliveries in our neighborhood. They were the big "green" truck people.