PDA

View Full Version : update on 9mm tumbling

smlekid
02-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Well I think I have cured my tumbling problem it appears my bullets were a little soft I put them back into the pot added some lino and the tumbling doesn't seem to be happening now
I tried all the suggestion in my last post and nothing seemed to work I tried some commercial cast boolits and they didn't tumble I could scratch my boolits with my thumb nail but the commercial ones my thumb just slid off
I'm now running them with 4.1gr of Universal sized to .357" (356" bore) and seated to 1.090" in Winchester cases and primers I only put around 30 through it today to test the load but didn't have a single keyhole
adding the Lino appears to have dropped the boolit weight down about 4grs (a lee 124 TCTL dropping at 120gr with this alloy) I added about 3Ib's of Lino to 7Ibs of the original boolits I let them sit for about a week before I sized them and relubed with LLA

WHITETAIL
02-14-2010, 08:08 AM
;-)Thanks for the update.

RobS
02-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Good to hear...........funny how every gun has a different liking to powders, bullet hardness, size of the bullet etc. Some times it takes a bit of tinkering with loads to find what works.

Just recently I lapped a barrel on a revolver of mine as it had a barrel restriction at the threads and in the past I've always used a 400 grit lap and never an issue, but I ran out so.............I purchased the Wheeler kit that has 220, 320, and 600 grit. Needless to say barrel looked good to go after using 600 grit to finish which put a nice mirror like finish to the barrel. I took the revolver proudly to the range to find out that the barrel leaded at the lands of the rifling. Later on I chanced that the 600 grit was too fine and figured that bullets were hitting the smooth finish of the start of the barrel and skidding so to speak. I went back to work and hand lapped the barrel a bit more with the 320 grit lapping compound and left it at that and presto now I'm back in business again.

Live and Learn!!!!

Ole
02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
My sw59 hates commercial cast bullets, which run about 18 BHN, but shoots my Lee RNFP's (10.5BHN) sized to .357" without any problems.

That's what makes the hobby fun. Finding stuff that works with your stuff. :)