PDA

View Full Version : Crown-Castle - is it Pewter?

Goatlips
02-14-2010, 02:24 AM
I ran across a 44 piece set of rather crude dinnerware and mugs labeled "Crown-Castle" and "Made in USA", at the local Salvation Army. Looks like some old pewter Italian measuring jugs I once had. If this stuff is tin, it'd be worth the 44 bucks they're asking, I figure. My knife scratches shiny but not lead-soft. Might this be pewter (TIN?) Any way to tell short of melting them down? Thanks!

Goatlips

imashooter2
02-14-2010, 07:53 AM
If they look like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CROWN-CASTLE-PEWTER-PLATES-SET-OF-16-DINNER-SALAD_W0QQitemZ260551637720QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3caa167ad8

They definitely are NOT pewter.

softpoint
02-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Only a dedicated cast boolits shooter digs in items up for sale with his pocket knife to see if they are any good to mix in his alloy......:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Goatlips
02-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks, Imashooter, if i can't melt them down I can sell them on evilbay! Them are 'zactly what are pictured in the link you sent. Now if I can only buy them before one of my casting neighbors does... :cbpour:

Goatlips

imashooter2
02-15-2010, 08:29 AM
They aren't pewter, they're zinc based. Buy them as dishes if you want, but you're wasting your money if you want tin.

littlejack
02-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Softpoint, I keep my knife with me always at the local Good Will stores and ST Vincent DePauls. That is one of my best testing methods. Another, test, is to try to bend the item easily. With a plate, if one twists it in opposite directions with both hands, it will rack very easy. Aluminum or zinc will not. Right now, i'm waiting for some items to go on 50% off sale.
Jack

OLPDon
02-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Sell them on evilbay someone will want them not for scrap and you will bring in more $$ then the value of scrap. With the extra $ you can wast the money on new mould or use it for more garage sales.

One man's old wheel weight is another man'sCast Boolit.
Don

Goatlips
02-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Imashooter, they call them pewter but they're aluminum as you said; in any case I bought 'em today for resale on Evilbay. The sale you pointed out to me is up to 76 bucks for 16 pieces;

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROWN-CASTLE-PEWTER-PLATES-SET-OF-16-DINNER-SALAD_W0QQitemZ260551637720QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3caa167ad8

I now have 24 salad and dinner plates and a dozen mugs to match. :bigsmyl2:

They'll be up on ebay shortly, what they sell for will buy a lot of tin (that I don't really need) and I donate a percentage to the NRA through ebay, which makes me feel a little better about using them. Thank you for the hot tip!

Goatlips