PDA

View Full Version : Casting 106

kbstenberg
02-14-2010, 12:34 AM
I have a couple of questions. The first is on pistol bullets.
After a casting session, do most of you weigh the whole group of bullets that pass the visual inspection first. Throwing out for recasting those bullets that are not in the majority either high or low. Then with the remaining bullets. What is the largest variation in grains you will keep to shoot as a group? 1gr / 2gr / 3gr
The second question is basically the same as above but for Rifle bullets.
I hope you can wade through any unclear questions
Kevin

outdoorfan
02-14-2010, 01:09 AM
For pistol boolits, if they pass the visual inspection, then don't bother weighing them. I do the same for rifle, but some people like to weight-segregate.

crabo
02-14-2010, 01:29 AM
I just do a visual inspection for pistol boolits.

Mk42gunner
02-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Visual inspection here; with the caveat that I will weigh a few the first time I cast with a mold, to ensure the boolits weigh somewhere close to what they should.

Robert

Artful
02-14-2010, 01:54 AM
plinking - visual inspection - esp the bases

match - visual and weigh 'em - use two scales - so if lighter than one scale - back to the post
if lighter than the other - practice - if heavier goes into match box.

Johnch
02-14-2010, 02:10 AM
For pistol shooting
I found truely uggly boolits seem to shoot just fine as long as the base is good

So unless I am shooting a match
Wrinkels , small voids and nose problems get shot

But if the base isn't filled out or another problem
It goes back in the pot

John

Wayne Smith
02-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Again, goes back to purpose. Plinking, shooting cowboy distances, casual target shooting, load anything that passes a visual test. Serious target shooting, hunting, segregate to weights of about 5% of total boolit weight. Find out which one is most accurate. Learn how that weight shoots and stay with it.

jdgabbard
02-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I can see doing it for rifle boolits... With pistol in most cases its a waist of time. Unless your new and checking for voids....

kbstenberg
02-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you all for you help. Even weighing 100 bullets without an electric scale is a PITA
Kevin