PDA

View Full Version : The most accurate pour

B R Shooter
02-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Looking for the most accurate way to pour a single nose pour mold. Is the bottom pour pot the best directly into the sprue hole, or a laddle pour dipping out of a pot?

If using a laddle, is the method to mate up the laddle "nose" to the sprue plate and tilt, or pour into the hole free hand?

Thanks for any input.

HeavyMetal
02-13-2010, 08:46 PM
If it's a single cavity mold there is no advantage to using a bottom pour pot.

When I use a dipper, Lyman or RCBS, I get a full dipper, dip the sprue plate, where you hit it, then dip a corner of the mold, then put the dipper into contact with the mold, at right angles, then rotate both to fill the mold.

AS hot as this will be leave both in contact for a slow count of 15 then seperate the dipper slowly and try to leave a good sized puddle of alloy on top of the sprue plate.

Wait for this to harden as well, a slow 30 count, then open. Boolit should be perfectly filled out and after you cast a bunch weight variation should be less than 1/2 grain average!

Wayne Smith
02-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Can't tell you about bottom pour, but with the ladle try both methods. The larger the boolit the more likely you will need the pressure pour with turning the mold, putting the ladle nose to the sprue plate, and then turning the whole thing. You may get good boolits both ways.

JCherry
02-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Br Shooter

Talk about opening up a can of worms. There are two camps on the issue of bottom pour and ladle pour.

I prefer ladle pour myself.

My suggestion is if possible try both and make your own decision. Experiment till you come up with what is best for you.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Slow Elk 45/70
02-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Hullo BRShooter, and Welcome to the site. I don't know about most accurate, but have found that when pouring large caliber boolits, I like to ladle pour, I get better fill out with less rejects this way. For most others I pour from the pot. Yes tilt and hold the spout to the sprue hole and bring back to upright. WFM......With your single cavity mold, I would ladle pour the nose pour boolit.[smilie=1:

Mk42gunner
02-13-2010, 10:54 PM
I have said it before, your mold will tell you what it wants. That said, I use both a ladle and bottom pouring on various molds. I think the ladle will make more accurate boolits, while the bottom pour is faster for multiple cavity molds, (usually).

Try the different ways you feel comfortable with and decide which works best, for you.

Robert

buck1
02-13-2010, 11:57 PM
I cast with bottom pours. That said, For what you are asking for, use the ladle....Buck

runfiverun
02-14-2010, 01:04 AM
a single cav of 400 or over begs for a ladle.
it also begs for a consistent pouring technique.
http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm
look here.

B R Shooter
02-14-2010, 09:25 AM
OK, thanks. I'll start with the ladle and go from there. I can heat lead in a pot and watch temps without the expense of a bottom pour pot. This is for a 30 caliber mold by the way.

WHITETAIL
02-14-2010, 09:29 PM
I am from the other camp.
I bottom pour all of my boolits.
I even pour a 475gr. pb boolit
with no problem.:cbpour:

Buckshot
02-16-2010, 03:57 AM
.............According to Precision Shooting magazine (an article for which I've forgotten the author and the date) the most accurate was a method called, "The Standing Wave". It also sounds a bit messy. You allow the alloy to continue to flow for a period after the cavity has filled. I dont' recall the details but that was the process. I don't use it :-)

..............Buckshot

HORNET
02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
The match reports in "The Fouling Shot" of the Cast Bullet Association (don't know why they spell 'boolit' wrong) indicate that both methods have about an equal number of users in their competition. Admittedly, most competitors are using base pour designs but I wouldn't think that it makes a significant difference or those boys would all be using the same method. They get real serious about such things. There are too many other variables.