PDA

View Full Version : Gunshow in Lebanon today

Ed Barrett
02-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I went to a gunshow at Lebanon Missouri today and noticed the price of primers is coming down a bit. One table had CCI and Remington primers for $29 a Thousand. Also saw some Wolf and PMC primers about the same price. Some of the sellers still had $40 plus prices on their primers but they were not selling many. Very busy show with a lot of people walking around with guns for sale a pretty good prices, Saw a perfect looking old Swiss Rifle the only thing against it was it was .43 Swiss rimfire he was asking $100 for it, I was able to fight off the temptation of trying to negotiate him down a little. I could picture myself ironing out cases so I could reload for it.

I found something I have been looking for for a long time. A savage 340A in 30-30 with a perfect bore and little to no wear. I picked it up for $150. The only fault is that the stock was shortened and then the piece was put back on. I wouldn't have noticed since it had a slip on recoil pad that covered it. The man I bought it from told me about it so I wouldn't think he was trying to cheat me. I'll take a picture of it and post it here later today.

Ed Barrett
02-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Here are the pictures. Does anyone know where I look for the serial number on this model? Excuse the mess.

Ed Barrett
02-13-2010, 04:53 PM
other picture

Mk42gunner
02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Ed,

I can't remember if the .222 I had was serialized or not. If it is drilled for a scope mount it will be on the left side wall of the action. IIRC it is four holes tapped 10-32, for a Weaver base. I have one laying around here someplace, but haven't been able to find it for several years.

Robert

Ed Barrett
02-14-2010, 12:25 AM
From what I have read this is an early model with two threaded holes at the back of the receiver for a peep sight and no provision for a scope mount. The open rear sight has a fine adjustment wheel with the name something like "dickenloper" (spelling?) on top, the front sight is a gold bead attached with two screws. I cleaned the barrel with Ed's red and then Kroil and buffed it up with JB and the bore shines like a mirror, looks like she's going to be a great cast bullet shooter.

Buckshot
02-14-2010, 03:15 AM
.............I gave up trying to find one of those in 30-30 around here in So.California. I'd seen a few but they were always around $350 or so.

............Buckshot

deltaenterprizes
02-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Ed Barrett,

If I remember correctly the 340A was not factory drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

P.

It was, I mounted a scope on one for a friend back in the early 1980s. Finding the mount that uses the screws in the back of the receiver will be the problem. I can't remember the manufacturer.

smoked turkey
02-14-2010, 07:16 PM
congrats on finding a good deal on a nice gun. I have a 340 in 30-30 also and it is a very accurate rifle. I shoot the lyman 311291 loaded to about 1600'/s. Mine has the side mount but seems to work fine. The weight of the rifle makes the gun a joy to shoot.

largom
02-14-2010, 07:46 PM
I also went to a gunshow Sat. only in PA. Saw large and small pistol primers for $25.00 per thousand. Also saw a Savage 340 in 30-30 for $275.00 but I already have one. My son-in-law bought one last year with a VERY short stock for $125.00. For Christmas I cut him one on the duplicator out of a piece of walnut triple XXX fancy.

Larry

Ed Barrett
03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
It got up to 52 degrees today and I got to the range with the Savage 340. It likes the "Soupcan" boolit. I tried some 155 and 160 grain lead also but they didn't do as well. I post some pictures of the targets. the only two powders I tried were 2400 and 700X. I shot off a rest at 50 yards with the open sights and my old eyes and the rifle did very well. Good to get some powder and lube fumes in my lungs again, I was getting that winter cabin fever. Nice day for shooting sunny with about no wind.

hammerhead357
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Nice find I have one that I bought at a pawn shop several years ago. I haven't worked with it enought with cast boolits but what I have done was pretty good. I like the old rifles even if they are pretty economically made...Wes

Ed Barrett
03-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Here are my two best groups. Both were with the soupcan boolit with WFFL sized .310. 50 yards with 10 shots in each group off a rest, no wind to speak of.

autofix4u
03-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Ed, thats a pretty respectable group for the cheap sites that come on the 340. what load were they?
Did you go to the marshfield range? I need to get out there and do some shootin my self.
Later, Josh

flounderman
03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I have a collection of weaver side mounts, if you are interested. I would have to look the numbers up to see if I have the right one. pm me if you're interested. probably could find a scope to go with it. Daryl

Ed Barrett
03-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Ed, thats a pretty respectable group for the cheap sites that come on the 340. what load were they?
Did you go to the marshfield range? I need to get out there and do some shootin my self.
Later, Josh

Yes it was at the marshfield range. Those two groups were 12 grains of 2400 and 8.7 of 700X and 119 gr. soupcans from stright wheel weights air cooled.