PDA

View Full Version : I need a gun suggestion for my wife

MakeMineA10mm
02-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Most of you know I have a goodly gun collection and have been shooting a wide variety of guns for most of my life. Even still, I'd like to hear what you guys (or girls) do for your wives (or if you're a lady, prefer for yourself) for a pistol?

My wife has given me the following boundaries:

It must be a semi-auto.

It must take wood grips (so they can be upgraded to exotic wood).

My wife would like something with light to moderate recoil, like a 9mm (she does not want a 22).

It must be suitable for engraving. (She saw a photo of a relief-engraved PPK and immediately fell in love with it, and wants her gun engraved.)

She has medium-sized hands and would prefer to avoid something too small, like a pocket pistol.

She's a good shot, but prefers a light DAO trigger such as a Glock or lightened S&W DAO semi-auto like a 4586. She's not real keen on SAOs like my Hi-Power and 1911s...

Basically, she said she wants a gun of her own, not just having the run of my collection, and she wants it to be pretty, fun to shoot and capable (note I did not say ideal, so don't tell me to get her a 45 :grin: ) of self-defense. It needs to be in the power range of 9mm, will look nice engraved, and ability to put on exotic wood grips. (So, no plastic pistols...)

I thought of a few ideas, such as a Beretta 84, but with 380 ammo being in such short supply, I'm not convinced that's a great choice (although I reload for 380 and have plenty of cases).

Trey45
02-13-2010, 02:27 PM
CZ RAMI or CZ P01, the RAMI comes in 2 styles, polymer frame and steel frame, spend the extra nickle and get the steel. Both are 9mm, both are exceptionally well built and accurate. Both can be fitted with wood grips.

mooman76
02-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I'd take her to a good gunstore and let her do the touchy feely thing. Let he pick her own as long as it's a good gun. If it's not comfortable she won't shoot as good and probably won't want to shoot as much. Make the choice together.

Jim
02-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Your post title scared th'ell outa' me!!

2ndAmendmentNut
02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
SIG, S&W, and CZ all make quality guns in stainless steel that I have always thought look good with wood grips.

gray wolf
02-13-2010, 03:14 PM
This is GW's wifey.....saw the thread and had to post.

Well it's just me but I love my Berretta 96, .40 in blue with redwood grips......
I have a cammo leg thigh holster for it and wear it on doggy walks.
I also have a Berretta Tomcat in .32 which has the rosewood grips on it. They both are very nice looking and great to shoot.
GW is reloading for both of them and I hope he gets molds for both so he can cast for them too. That way I can shoot them more without the excessive cost for buying ammo for them.

But as far as self defense goes, my .40 will knock most anything down with those Golden Sabers in it.....

Did I say I love my Berretta's????????
I think they are both Purty as all get out. And just feel good to hold in my hand.

Wise Owl

Storydude
02-13-2010, 03:19 PM
CZ-82
SA/DA, 9X18 is still somewhat cheap, 12+1 and exotic hardwood grips are available.

Plus, they can be had for 250ish.

DLCTEX
02-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Para-ordinance compact in 9mm with LDA. Compact, engraving surfaces, light double action.

MakeMineA10mm
02-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone, keep them coming! I really like all the suggestions made so far, and I'm going to have my wife read them over. (It's often better if it's not the spouse giving "advice." :wink: )

Wise Owl - Thanks for a feminine perspective. I like the Beretta too. The only one I have in the safe right now is a 92F, and she doesn't like the weight. I'll have to take her to the gun store and let her try the lighter / shorter versions.

DLCTX - I really like that suggestion! Do they make a shortened/narrower version like the EMP? That would be perfect with the LDA. I'll check their website, but thought you might know.

Aegis
02-13-2010, 03:59 PM
I'd take her to a good gunstore and let her do the touchy feely thing. Let he pick her own as long as it's a good gun. If it's not comfortable she won't shoot as good and probably won't want to shoot as much. Make the choice together.

I agree with mooman. Every gun I have bought my wife without her just sits in the safe.

jameslovesjammie
02-13-2010, 04:00 PM
CZ75B. Available in 9mm and .40 (with a .357 Sig barrel available through EFK Firedragon). Finishes are blued, stainless (polished and bead blasted), Satin Nickle, and polycoat. Availble in steel and polymer guns.

The all steel frame of the CZ will help to absorb recoil, yet is not too heavy to be unweildly. It is comparable in size and weight to a Beretta or High Power, but has really good ergonomics that make the gun sit really high in the hand.

Wood grip choices are great. I'm kinda diggin' these rosewood with mother of pearl inlays on this Stainless Limited Edition.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/reelhavoc/junk/gun.jpg

jameslovesjammie
02-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Posted a little late on this one. I see she doesn't like alot of weight. I would also suggest the 75B compact, which is lighter and has a shorter barrel and grip frame.

DLCTEX
02-13-2010, 04:31 PM
MMA10: Check out their wed site under concealed carry. Several options under the LPDA. My son had a Para 1911 he really liked, but it was stolen in a burglary. Insurance found ways to pay only a portion of the value of guns stolen so he didn't replace it. Yet!

HeavyMetal
02-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I'll second the CZ 75 choice but in 40 S&W rather than 9mm. Looks good if engraved and blued, can be DA or SA, nice quality wood can be had, I hate inlays they can bite, and Bar Sto make barrels for them!

I think Mooman has the right idea take her some place with a good selection and let her browse. Take a big stick as well to use on the sales guys other wise some yo-yo sales guy will try to push her into a Pink J frame snubbie!

GLL
02-13-2010, 06:29 PM
She prefers S&W N-frame revolvers ! :)

No pink J-frame snubbies ! :)

Note: She is VERY tall and VERY strong ! :)

Jerry

GP100man
02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
I`ve only held 1 , never fired it but a Ruger SR9 feels very handy !!!

GLL
Don`t make that gal mad !!!!

Wayne Smith
02-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Got to be an auto and she likes the engraved PPK. Does this combination tell you anything??

MtGun44
02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
So the Browning High Power is out? These have one of the best grips of any of the
9mms, IMO. High quality surface finish on them is great for engraving, and they are
actually available engraved, altho a bit rare.

Bill

Mk42gunner
02-13-2010, 10:19 PM

What mooman76 said, let her handle a few different guns. Other than that, my suggestions are try the various sizes of the CZ-75 and its Italian clones. They always felt better to me than a Hi-Power.

If she doesn't like heavy guns, she probably won't like the Para Ordnance LDA's; the one I had in .45ACP was surprisingly heavy for a 3.5" 1911 derivative.

Robert

oldfart1956
02-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Fellers let me do ya'll a big favor. Google up www.corneredcat.com and read what a woman has to say about this very topic. Then get your wife/girlfriend to read it. She covers a LOT of topics men don't even consider. I'll warn ya the first thing she'll tell you is men don't pick guns for women..and she explains why. She also explains how to (and not) conceal them, and too many other topics to mention. Now..go do it. Audie..the Oldfart..

JIMinPHX
02-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Browning Hi Power IMHO.

winelover
02-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Browning Hi Power IMHO.

I thought so too. My wife likes to shoot mine, however she can't rack the slide. She has a J-frame SW with lasergrips for carry. For hunting, she has a 7 1/2" BH in 45LC and has taken 2 deer with it with cast boolets.[smilie=w:

Winelover

wiljen
02-14-2010, 11:19 AM
You'd be hard pressed to find a better gun for medium small hands in a DAO than the Kahr K9 series. The only feature it doesnt have on your preferred list is the wood grips and those can be readily had from Hogue etc. If you really want one Jazzed, send it to Cylinder&Slide and get them to do their custom carry package on it. A slicker carry gun cannot be had.

John Guedry
02-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Small request, when she does pick one out and gets it to her satisfaction post some pictures.

Kraschenbirn
02-14-2010, 01:09 PM
If you're thinking engraving (and probably refinishing afterward), why not go classic? S&W M39...single-stack mag allows a comfy grip for most female-size hands and, with only minor rework, one of the slickest DAO autos ever. Mine was done by TK Custom but Tom retired from 'smithing a few years ago so you might have to shop around for someone to do the trigger job.

Bill

Wayne Smith
02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Audie, thank you for that site. It will take me a while to read through it. Mrs. Jackson writes very well.

oldfart1956
02-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Audie, thank you for that site. It will take me a while to read through it. Mrs. Jackson writes very well.
Wayne that site should be required reading for anyone considering a purchase for a woman. Take time to read all her topics! Funny how the same guys that wouldn't think about buying a brassirree for their wife/girlfriend/Mom know exactly what handgun is best. Go figger? Men may understand the mechanix of a gun..they don't have a clue about wimminfolk. ;) JMHO of course. Audie..the longwinded Oldfart...

MakeMineA10mm
02-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks very much everyone. Wife and I have gotten a discussion sparked, and she's reading the site that Audie posted. I skimmed it, and it looks really good.

KCSO
02-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Take her somewhwere you can rent or try guns and let HER decide. All the guns my wife has shot and HER gun is a Ruger 32 H and R mag with a 6" barrel. She can hit with it out to 100 yards. With the right loads it has near the power of a 38 snubbie, but most important SHE loves it. My Daughter on the other hand has a Smith 649 9mm that she wouldn't part with.

De gusitbus