PDA

View Full Version : Rapine bulet mold

turkeyshooter
02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Can anyone tell me what caliber and size mold Rapine #429300 is ?Any help would be appreciated,Thanks

Big Boomer
02-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Turkeyshooter:

Can't be certain since I have no Rapine moulds, but I think the 429 is the diameter of the cast boolit and the 300 is the weight of the boolit. 'Tuck

anachronism
02-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I see your problem. Rapine obviously doesn't want to sell bullet moulds. They have no internet presence at all, from what I could find. I'd choose a different manufacturer, one who wants the business.

Jim
02-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree, Tuck. I have a .458 diameter 500 grain RN Rapine mold and it is marked 458500. Your assumption stands to reason.

Mk42gunner
02-13-2010, 10:02 PM
I think you can find Rapine molds for sale at the CH-4D website. I have read that Rapine molds are made by one older man, the molds have been around for a while; maybe he is as busy as he wants to be.

The assumption that the last three numbers are the boolit weight do not stand up with my 439702, a 385 grain boolit for the .43 Spanish.

Robert

madsenshooter
02-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Do a search for Rapine here, I recently read a post where they had gone out of business. Yes it was an older fellow ran it, he decided everyone was a PITA and that he'd had enough. He had some very unique designs. My 1st mold was a Rapine, and they had a bit of an internet presence then, back in the 90's. That soon disappeared as we all bugged the old fellow. My mold was a 265150, as originally designed and cataloged a .265 150gr spitzer. When I received it, it was a flatnose and I could see where the cherry had the point cut off, that was because everyone else wanted the flatnose, though I wanted the spitzer to feed in my Arisaka, PITA that I was.

Harry O
02-14-2010, 08:08 PM
I have several Rapine bullet moulds. They are great moulds. He does not make many for common calibers. Most seem to be for unusual, black powder calibers, including several hollow-base ones.

You are right that they are not on the Internet. I have heard the owner died, or quit several times in the last few years. There were a bunch of moulds on eBay a year or so ago that were listed as "close out". There are not as many places anymore that offer them, but they are not collectors items yet. If you have a caliber that uses one of his moulds, grab it. They are worth it.