PDA

View Full Version : benjamin 22 air gun

enfield
02-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I just got my new Benjamin ( Sheridan ? ) model 392 pump pellet rifle. :) I see they are made by crossman now and some of the things are a bit cheap and plastiky but its a pretty solid feeling gun. it came with a report card stating the 5 shot average velocity was 661 fps with 8 pumps. 8 ! I need to eat more wheaties if I hope to get past 4 !:holysheep. does anybody else out there find theyres the same? it it feels like I might brake the fore end when it snaps against the chamber tube when pumping it. am I allowed to talk about pellet guns here ? thanks.

cheese1566
02-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Check with bullshop junior. He has one for sale...

jcwit
02-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Check out the single break air guns, power goes up to over 1000 fps with only a single bread with much less parts to go wrong. Of course you're looking at English, German, Spanish, or Chinese air guns. And more than likely higher price but better workship overall.

NVcurmudgeon
02-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Enfield, the airgun picture is a little bit murkier since apparently Crossman bought up both Sheridan and Benjamin. About sixty years ago when I was a kid, the Sheridan was thought of as kind of a magnum, with its odd .20 cal. pellet. I bought one about 11 years ago and it was called a "Benjamin Sheridan," but it is the old Sheridan Blue Streak. It will handle a crow very nicely on a 25 yd. frontal shot, but cripples on a side shot. Since I've moved to a neighborhood where an occasional .22 LR shot doesn't bother anyone, the Sheridan is mostly used to dispatch the odd black widow spider in the garage. (Three pumps, no pellet, and poke the muzzle right up close to Madame Arachnid.) The old Sheridan is not as powerful as the modern Euro-Asiatic barrel cockers, but it's nice to have the airgun of which my mother said, "No, you'd put somebody's eye out with that thing"

scrapcan
02-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Your pump pnuematic will be easier to shoot well than a spring gun. For some the sprigners are hard to learn. They have recoil in both directions and will eat a scope in a heart beat unless it is springer rated. I hav eseen 5 and 6 hundred dollar scopes eaten by a springer.

You will also want to know that pumping more than the recommended times will be not so good also, as you may actually se a decrease in velocity and will wear the seals more. Your pump should take the repeated 8 shot pumping.

The lowly airgun is one that many people should get more of. You can shoot them and keep sharp even when the weather is frightfull. Build yourself a quite or silent pellet trap and shoot in the basement, garage, or out building. You only need 10 to 50 feet to keep sharp with trigger and sighting.

JIMinPHX
02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I've had a Sheridan Silver Streak for about 20 years. It's in .20 cal. It's a little beat up now, but it still shoots surprisingly well. I never thought that brass barrel would hold up over time, but it did. The older ones are good solid machines. I don't know about the new ones. On mine, 10 pumps gives me about 750fps, always did. Maybe they upped the strike ratio of the pump to get more velocity & maybe that's why yours is so hard to pump. I'm just guessing about that though. The pump guns are nice to have compared to the spring action single cock guns because with the pump, you can use lower velocities when you want to.