02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Anyone else see that ?

I read the Redfeilds will be build in the USA , in the Leupold plant

Good to see them being made here again
Not in China

John

Hickory
02-12-2010, 07:02 PM
If you can afford to buy a couple, these Redfields will be the cheapest Leupolds you can find.
They are made on Leupolds assembly lines!

Dutch4122
02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
They are already out on the market. Check out Midway's sale flyer this month.

Hope this helps,

jcwit
02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Key word there is "built", it doesn't say "made". Imported parts.

nicholst55
02-12-2010, 10:47 PM
If you can afford to buy a couple, these Redfields will be the cheapest Leupolds you can find.
They are made on Leupolds assembly lines!

As long as they're better quality than Leupold's Rifleman line; those scopes are pretty poor, in my estimation.

bubba.50
02-13-2010, 01:41 AM
i read somewhere that they are basically rifleman or vx1 scopes with redfield name. can't remember which mag. i saw it in. for what it's worth, bubba.

AKsoldier
02-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I ordered one a few days ago to try out on my predator gun. (Marlin XS7 .243) I'll have to come back here once I've given it a good test and let ya'll know what I think of them. I figured if they're made by Leupold I can't go wrong.

badgeredd
02-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Question:

Has anyone recently purchased a Pentax Scope? If so are they any good?

Edd

Hickory
02-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Question:

Has anyone recently purchased a Pentax Scope? If so are they any good?

Edd

Pentex is made by Burris.

BruceB
02-13-2010, 10:27 AM
In January, I bought a Pentax 4.5-14X scope for use on my CZ .22-250. It is as clear and sharp as any Leupold I've used, and I own quite a few of them.

The adjustments seem precise, and I had no trouble zeroing the rifle/sight combo. So far, I like it a lot. My only quibble is that there seem to be no directional arrows on the adjustment dials.

It was bought on a "Buy it Now" deal from an Ebay seller for $200, including shipping. Heck of a good deal, I'd say.

Boy, if we don't keep up with the industry gossip, we'd have NO idea of what's made by whom, or where.

atr
02-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Last months' issue of Guns and Ammo had a good article about Leupold buying the Redfield name and a test report........

jcwit
02-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Pentex is made by Burris.

Pentax was merged with Hoya Corp on March 31, 2008. Currently they are a business division of Hoya Optics. Hoya is a japanese Optical Company headquarted in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

AKsoldier
02-14-2010, 02:51 AM
My Redfield arrived today, I've got it mounted and bore-sighted. I'll have pics and an initial impression in a few days. Tomorrow belongs to my better half though. :wink:

badgeredd
02-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Really wasn't trying to hijack the thread but figured you'd all come through with an answer or two. Thanks.

Edd

Baron von Trollwhack
02-14-2010, 07:07 PM
I understand that the VX-1 scopes still have the unlimited lifetime Leupold warranty, while the Redfields do not. The Redfield name is still very strong though, because of the American quality it once represented. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

BvT

Larry Gibson
02-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I still have the 3x9 AccuRange I got in '69, the two 3x9 AccuTracs I've been using since the mid '70s and the 4x12 Ultimate I got about 20 years ago. All of them were and still are excellent scopes. I've never had a problem with any of them and considered them every bit as good as Leupolds back then. When I go after big game stateside seriously it is with an '06 with one of the AccuTracs on it. The range finder worksas well or better tha any of the current reticles including mildots (it is much faster than mildots also). While I use a range finder these days I find having the AccuTrac available comforting because batteries always die when the need is critical. The elevation adjustments track precisely and consistently and I've made some pretty astounding long range shots using the Redfields. I put some Ranger and 1 SF Group sinipers to shame several times on the Fort Lewis sniper range using the accuTrac on my Fulton M1A vs their M24 Remingtons with Leupold mildot scopes. I'd have ranged adjusted for elevation, held off for wind and hit the targets from 200 to 900 meters while they were still playing with calculators and cheat sheets trying to figure the range. They went away mumbling to themselves about old SF guys from the Reserves.........

I hope Leupold maintains the quality and wish they bring back the AccuTrac.

Larry Gibson

bruce drake
02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
If they bring back the Redfield Iron Sight line back I'd be doing handstands

Bruce

Frozen Chosen
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM
I have two Pentax 3x9, both mounted on 270's. The scopes are both tack drivers and one of them has been my primary hunting rifle scope for years. It has traveled across Canada and the USA and never lost it's zero. I really don't think that was due to the baggage handlers with the various airlines, because they have not been kind to my gun cases. My last trip to Montana in October totaled out one gun case. I was surprised the rifle was still in one piece let alone in the case! It's still has it's zero at 200 yards.