PDA

View Full Version : Strike out on WW hunt

RodneyUSAF
02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
I went the the motorpool today in search of wheel weights. I was informed that the USAF has switched to zinc as the wheel weight of choice. I left with about a lbs worth that the guy had left in stock. However, he did say he would save any lead ones he takes off of vehicles for me. Better than nothing I guess, but I thought I would hit the jackpot.

nicholst55
02-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Look for unserviceable battery clamps. Also, if you have a prop and rotor shop around, ask them.

vacek
02-13-2010, 01:14 PM
If you are friendly terms with your dentist and they are still doing Xray (non digital) offer them a few bucks for their lead supply. I scored 100 lbs last week. By the way, it is essentially 100% lead so will alloy with my linotype and/or wheel weights based on need.

sucngas
02-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Send your wife or girlfriend. I hit every single tire store in Helena, without so much as a single wheel weight. My mother in law found out about my luck, called the exact same tire stores and scored 400 lbs. I'm thinking I might need implants and low cut shirts.

DLCTEX
02-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I had been told by the guy in our local tire shop that the people supplying their tire weights had required them to sell all their used weights to them. I checked with the new guy yesterday and found out that the former guy was lying to me and was saving them for a friend. I'm back in the loop for weights. He let me have about 50 lbs. that he had on hand. Free of course.

Jim
02-13-2010, 04:32 PM
I found out that the guy that runs the 'bout best garage in the area is a shooter. He's not a caster, so he has to buy his bullets. We struck a deal. I keep him in boolits and he keeps me in WWs. I took him about 50 or so .452-250-2Rs awhile back and all he's shot so far is about 6 or so. Got a 3/4 bucket out of the first trade. Went back the other day and gave him some Lee .452-230-1R-TLs and got about a half bucket. He hasn't fired a shot since the first batch I gave him. He's happy, though, and so am I.
Seems to be working.

PBKing
02-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Go check out the Salvage/Shipyards... A lot of Sailboats have Keel Weights of impressive weight. I have some that are 90lbs each.