PDA

View Full Version : Lyman mould master lead pot

scrapcan
06-13-2006, 10:41 AM
I was given a Lyman mould master electric lead pot. I cast with it last night and it is a very nice old pot. It is missing the knob for temp adjustment but I should be able to replace that.

I was wondering what vintage this unit is. It appears to hold about 5 lbs and has a ledge on the back of the pot to put the mould on to warm up. It will melt the whole pot in about 10 minutes.

Any help on the age and if there is an old manual that can be copied somewhere?

Marshal Kane
06-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Any help on the age and if there is an old manual that can be copied somewhere?
Would suggest calling Lyman Customer Service toll free at 1-800-22-LYMAN or email www.lymanproducts.com to obtain that thermostat knob and a service manual. If they still have the items you need, they will see that you receive it. The last time I called them, they repro'd a copy of a manual for a Super Targetspot Scope for me which they haven't made in 30 years. Hope this helps.

Shepherd2
06-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I had a Lyman Mould-Master that I bought in the late 60s. I seem to remember that it held 10 or 11 pounds. It did not have a shelf to preheat the mould so yours might be a later version.

I have the instruction sheet for the furnace I had. It is an 8" x 8" piece of paper printed on both sides. Not much info but if you want a copy PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

scrapcan
06-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Sheperd2, PM sent

I could be way off on the pot capacity as the pot was not empty when I melted the first batch. It looked to be down pretty low, I put 4 ingots in and it filled it up. Ingots were standard lyman/rcbs ingot mold size, 1lb?

fecmech
06-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Manleyjt--I have an old Mould master and they were 10lb. pots with a 1000 watt heating element. You could drop in room temp ingots as you cast with a 4 cavity mould and the furnace would keep up with you no sweat. After 30 years mine has gotten the dribbles and I was not able to clear it up so I bought a new RCBS pot a while back.

scrapcan
06-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Fecmech (and others),

I ran the pot to almost dry last night and it is indeed a 10lb pot.

I am very impressed with how well this thing heats. If it holds up I will be in good shape for a small pot. I have a much larger to process raw into ingots so that is not a problem.

I was casting a Saeco #377 9mm mould (see thread under handgun topic) and as you say you can drop an ingot in and never loose a beat. It will run hot enough to flash a coupl eof lyman moulds and an old winchester 38-55 mold that I have never had flashing occur on using a newer lyman or a lee pot.

I have some pictures if I can get them loaded up. There is a price tag on the unit that I think says 39.99. Not usre if it is the original or not but that would fit pricewise to the 60's that lyman says was the rough manufacture date.

The small shelf on the back of the cast pot is just the right size to put two moulds on to warm up. That is a bonus.

Jeremy

scrapcan
06-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Ok this is a first. I have tried to attach the images. Lets see if it works.

Crash_Corrigan
06-16-2006, 03:41 AM
Oh.........Oh............that is a dandy. If it ever can't be fixed anymore you can keep it for an heirloom. I want one too! Photos are excellent...carry on.
Crash

fecmech
06-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Thats my baby Manleyjt! You can get a knob for the thermostat at one of the old time Hardware or appliance supply stores. Those pots were excellent and IMO you will find nothing better today including the RCBS pot. They did'nt need 20 lbs capacity because of the 1000 watt element and the quick recovery, also it has a thick cast iron pot that holds the heat. I ran two 4 cavities off mine most of the time using muffin tin ingots. Drop one in the pot, put another on the shelf, cast like hell and repeat. I found one used in a gun shop about 2 years ago full of lead, like new for $35. I told my friend about it and he bought it and is tickled with it. I wished I had found it a year earlier before I bought my RCBS, could have save myself about $170. Oh well it went to a good home. Good luck with yours. Nick

Lee W
06-16-2006, 08:54 PM
I too have the Lyman. I got it free from a friend and it needed some help in the wiring department. I fixed it up and have been casting ever since. I bet it has had four hundred pounds through it so far.
:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
06-17-2006, 04:45 AM
Ive got one ive used for years and its a good pot. It is now a backup up pot to my two 20lbers but still works like new.

scrapcan
06-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Shepard2,

i go the the isntruction sheet in teh mail. Thanks a bunch. I will return the favor when you ro someone else needs something that I can offer.

Jeremy

Lyman said they didn't have much in there files but would sen dwhat they had. No parts available but we will send you a catalog so you can look at surrent stock. I am not interested int eh current stock, this old pot is much better than the other new pots I have and or had.