PDA

View Full Version : First Blood - TLC460-425-RF

Ranch Dog
06-13-2006, 12:42 AM
I shot a large hog this evening using my Marlin 1895MR (450 Marlin) and the TLC-460-425-RF behind 40.5-grains of H4198. The hog was 115-yards away and I knocked it in the dirt! Pictures tomorrow.

LET-CA
06-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Ranch Dog
06-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Here you go....

http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Hunting/2006/061206_Hog.jpg

Gringo Loco from Shooters' Forum had stopped by for a visit last week and I had taken him for a tour and filled a couple of feeders. The two feeders in my East pasture had seen a lot of big hog activity. I leave a ladder directly under the feeder, the ladder I use to haul corn & peas up into the feeder, the big hogs will get their head caught in the rungs and move it. The ladders had been move quite a bit!

It was 95F at 7:00 pm when I left the house to hit the woods. I had crawled up on a tripod to get my scent of the ground because there was just a light breeze but it was swirling around. At 8:00 pm I saw a buck and doe and then at 8:30 a large boar appeared about 100-yards out. Unfortunately, he was downwind and I could tell he could smell me despite bathing in "hunting" soaps and using a scent blocker. He wasn't spooked but just wasn't convinced it was safe to move forward. A few minutes later I saw another boar and a sow and then same thing happened they hit a point and turned because of the wind. They did take a moment to "make bacon" before they continued into the brush.

At 8:40, this sow came down the trail and I was ready. She hung up at the same point but my gun was already up on the spot that I knew she would stand on the trail. This trail put the hogs head on but I knew that she would give me a bit of a profile as she scent me. Sure enough she turned slightly, the crosshairs where already on her shoulder, BOOM! I'm usually a bit shy of shooting through a hogs shield but I wanted to try to recover the bullet. The boolit went through both shoulders and exited, taking out the top of her lungs.

Like I said above, this 40.5-grains of H4198 was just to give me something to shoot and not the result of a complete load work up as I've been tied up with that task on my 444. This load chronys 1716 out of the 22" barrel of my 1895MR. This is the rifle version of the 450 Marlin that is no longer offered. The 40.5-grains of H4198 gives me about 1680 out of my 45-70 Govt., a Marlin 1895G with the 18 1/2" barrel.

http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Casting/TLC460425RF/TLC460_Loaded.jpg

There is a group buy going on now for the mold that casts this boolit. You can read about it here...

2 and 6 Cavity TLC460-425-RF GROUP BUY STARTS NOW (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6991)

6pt-sika
06-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Well now thats a right nice piggly wiggly . :drinks:

You use an alloy of 50% WW's and 50% linotype correct ?

If I use straight air cooled WW's you think I would get pass thru shots on a piggy of that size , at say no firther then 75 yards ?

:castmine:

JDL
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Nice pig! You have to be one tough feller though, at 95 degrees how do you keep the sweat out of the eyepiece of the scope? :-) Undoubtably, you don't have any mosquitoes out there, so if you give me your address, I'll ship you several thousand. :-D -JDL

Ranch Dog
06-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Well now thats a right nice piggly wiggly . :drinks:

You use an alloy of 50% WW's and 50% linotype correct ?

If I use straight air cooled WW's you think I would get pass thru shots on a piggy of that size , at say no firther then 75 yards ?

:castmine:

6pt...

I think you would get a shoot through with this bullet. I do think that I would water quench them though. To me, the hardness is more related to being able to push the bullet at realistic velocities.

What I've observed with water quenched boolits is that there seems to be a crust, or layer on the outside that is a tougher BHN then the core of the boolit. The outside does a great job of responding to the pressures generated at the shot. When the boolit impacts game, I gotten pretty respectable expansion. Again, this is how it seems to me from recover boolits and the fact that I propel them at jacketed velocities.

Ranch Dog
06-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Nice pig! You have to be one tough feller though, at 95 degrees how do you keep the sweat out of the eyepiece of the scope? :-) Undoubtably, you don't have any mosquitoes out there, so if you give me your address, I'll ship you several thousand. :-D -JDL

JDL...
I've actually put it off a few days and then my wife remarked that I must be getting old because I've never let the heat bother me before.

Once you are in the brush there are plenty of sqeeters so please STOP THE SHIPMENT! That's why I was hunting from a tripod. You get a few feet off the ground and they don't bother you.

This reminds me of something worth mentioning. The tripod I was hunting from was built for bowhunting so it does not have a gun rest for helping with the shot. About 5-years ago, I bought a product called the Knee Pod (http://www.therealdecoy.com/hunterskneepod.html). I've taken a truck full of game using this rest in situations such as with this bowhunter's tripod. I've actually found it steadier than the tripods on my rifle tripods. When I shot that hog last night, the crosshairs were rock steady on the hog.

http://www.therealdecoy.com/DeerHunterInStand.jpg

6pt-sika
06-13-2006, 06:08 PM
JDL...
Once you are in the brush there are plenty of sqeeters so please STOP THE SHIPMENT! That's why I was hunting from a tripod. You get a few feet off the ground and they don't bother you.

]

For the bugs I bought a device a month or so ago called a Therma Cell. Its about the size of a GPS and runs on butane . They can be bought at Food Lion and cost about $25, They also make a thing that is virtually the same that they call Therma Scent , it heats up your doe pee or whatever scent you use and it should dissipate better. They are also about $25 , so I have ordered one of those as well.

www.mosquitorepellent.com

www.dreamcatchercameras.com/shop/index.php?cpath=142

6pt-sika
06-13-2006, 06:13 PM
One of the guys I work with just got back from New Brunswick . He was up there on a bear hunt and took the Terma Cell along. He said it worked really well.

LET-CA
06-13-2006, 10:36 PM
For the bugs I bought a device a month or so ago called a Therma Cell. Its about the size of a GPS and runs on butane . They can be bought at Food Lion and cost about $25, They also make a thing that is virtually the same that they call Therma Scent , it heats up your doe pee or whatever scent you use and it should dissipate better. They are also about $25 , so I have ordered one of those as well.

www.mosquitorepellent.com

www.dreamcatchercameras.com/shop/index.php?cpath=142

Thanks for the tip on the misquito repellant. I just ordered one from the web site you linked.

twoworms
06-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Ranch Dog,

Nice one, glad the boolite worked out well.

I want to shoot a deer or pig with my 440 boolite that I feed my 500 S&W with. I load them to 1390fps out of my 4" and would love to see what it would do to a pig or deer.

Thanks again for your work on the GB's.

Tim