PDA

View Full Version : Are ZINC ww's throw-aways

duhbob
02-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I get free ww's from my local shops, and the mix always has tape weights and some steel clip-ons as well as about 80% are lead clip-ons.
What do the zinc ones look like?:???: Do they melt just like lead at the same temp?
and will they screw up my hardness if included?

pps
02-11-2010, 12:15 AM
They float to the top, just take them out.

The oatmeal looking stuff, flux back into the mix, that's the beautiful antimony.

Ole
02-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Put the zinc weights in your radiator.

lwknight
02-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Todays market on zinc is$0.95 per pound.

duhbob
02-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Put the zinc weights in your radiator.

zinc cold remedies work too:veryconfu

Pepe Ray
02-11-2010, 12:50 AM
By all means, isolate the zinc.
It makes great sling shot balls.
Pepe Ray

cbrick
02-11-2010, 03:57 AM
What do the zinc ones look like?:???: Do they melt just like lead at the same temp? and will they screw up my hardness if included?They can look just like the other weights, "some" have Zn on them but if painted you can't tell by looking. I snip all weights with wire cutters and if it feels any harder than it should it gets tossed. They also melt at a higher temp than lead so will float to the top and should be removed. Zinc in your alloy can make for very very frustrating casting cause you can't get good mold fillout.

Here's an artice that discusses all this:

Cast Bullet Alloys (http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm)

Rick

Shiloh
02-11-2010, 06:59 AM
They are of no use to boolit casters. Jig and fishing sinkers may be a use for them.

Shiloh

duhbob
02-11-2010, 01:12 PM
They can look just like the other weights, "some" have Zn on them but if painted you can't tell by looking. I snip all weights with wire cutters and if it feels any harder than it should it gets tossed. They also melt at a higher temp than lead so will float to the top and should be removed. Zinc in your alloy can make for very very frustrating casting cause you can't get good mold fillout.

Here's an artice that discusses all this:

Cast Bullet Alloys (http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm)

Rick

Thanks for your input, and the link.
The article was Very good, the explanations were enlightening, and the links and references to additional authors/articles...priceless!

The Double D
02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
If you are tossing them out, toss them my way.

Get one of the flat rate boxes and line it with plywood. Fill the box with those throw aways. When the box gets full or 50 lbs mail it to me and I'll send you your postage back.

ghh3rd
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I snip all weights with wire cutters and if it feels any harder than it should it gets tossed
I tried that and got blisters after a while. Now I melt as low temp as possible, and all non-lead including zinc floats to the top where it's promptly removed.

1stSkink
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Shoot, I have been throwing my Zn and Steel WW in the recycling... .95/#, I am missing out.

ghh3rd
02-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I should save them I suppose since I make fishing sinkers and lures. The lures require soft lead and a bit of tin for maximum fill out, but zinc should work fine for the sinkers.

Ole
02-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Shoot, I have been throwing my Zn and Steel WW in the recycling... .95/#, I am missing out.

If it's like they do business on everything else, the recyclers around here would probably charge you $1/pound if you wanted some zinc but pay you $.10/lb if you had some to sell.

:violin: