PDA

View Full Version : CBA-worth joining or not?

straightshooter1
06-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I was considering joining the Cast Bullet Ass'n-cost $17 for one year, $30 for two years. But then,

What do I really get by joining? Are you folks members? Is their magazine, The Fouling Shot worth reading? On this forum we have so many that I think of as "experts" and whose opinions I really respect. I lurk much more than I post trying to learn from you and there are so many different areas of discussion.

Appreciate your advice.

Bob

libbyman
06-12-2006, 09:51 PM
The magazine is worth the money.

This is just MHO.

Some people WONT agree.

Libbyman

NVcurmudgeon
06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
I get American Rifleman because I am a life member.

I get Shotgun News because I like to track milsurp availability and because SN is cheaper to buy a three times a month subscription than buying it once a month at the newsstand.

I get Shooting Times because I think I need news of what's new, and IMO ST is the best of a bad bunch.

Finally I get The Fouling Shot because it is a goldmine of information on what interests me the most, and because TFS evokes no negative or even ambivalent feelings unlike all the other three! Another important point is that TFS is written by unpaid members instead of those who write what they are ordered to write.

singleshot1
06-12-2006, 10:33 PM
straightshooter1, I have belonged to the CBA for quite a number of years. It is well worth the modest cost to join. I have not shot in one of their matches for awhile, but they are a good place to pick up information and used gear. Also the magazine has some good exchange of information. Good source of cast bullet targets to. Dave

waksupi
06-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Bob, I need to resubscribe. it has good info. And a fair amount, that is submitted from board members here.

straightshooter1
06-13-2006, 08:14 AM
I appreciate the response and will join, too.

Thanks again,

Bob

Four Fingers of Death
06-17-2006, 08:08 AM
I was a member years ago and it was $US40 a year for Aussie suscribers. That was a lot of money in the days before credit cards. I enjoyed it, but was strapped for cash come renewal time and let it slip. I notice that they are much cheaper nowadays. I might give it a burl. I didn't understand a lot of what they were talking about then, but would be able to now. Mick.

straightshooter1
06-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I joined and guess what?

I promptly got a nice letter welcoming me.

In the same mail delivery I got a nice book, "Cast Bullets For Beginner & Expert" by Joseph F. Brennan Jr. I don't know who Mr. Brennan is, but in quickly examining the book, I find lots of "stuff" from casting to loading to shooting plus an appendix that has a ton of info in it as well.

I'd think this is, alone, well worth the $30 for two years membership. Thanks again for the recommendation about joining.

Bob

45 2.1
06-24-2006, 08:14 PM
The author is a member here, joeb33050.

Dale53
06-24-2006, 10:04 PM
I have just re-newed (two years) my membership to the CBA.

You can easily do it ONLINE. $30.00 for two years is an excellent value.

Dale53

gregg
06-25-2006, 02:15 AM
You guys sold me. I'm so easy. ;-(

Junior1942
06-25-2006, 06:07 AM
The match info in the back of each issue of the _Fouling Shot_ is worth the price of membership just for that info alone. There's dozens of competitors and each one lists their complete load, bullet, and rifle info. For example, say you have a new-to-you 170 gr 30 caliber bullet, and you also have three different powders you suspect might work with that bullet. Look in the back of the _Fouling Shot_ and see what powders, and amounts of it, that the big boys are shooting.