PDA

View Full Version : What have you guys been getting in your WW buckets lately?

Ole
02-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I just bought 55lbs of WW's from ebaY for $38, shipped. I was kind of bored and it was a bit of an impulse buy but there you go. :mrgreen:

It came today and I sorted it. Of the 55lbs, I got:

4 lbs of Zinc (7%)
14 lbs of stick ons. 25%
37 lbs of clip ons. 67%
One free valve stem! [smilie=w:

Is this about average for what you guys have been getting? I haven't bought any WW's in a while and was just curious. :coffee:

snake river marksman
02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't think I see near that much zinc in mine. Lots of valve stems and other junk but I get it free so I'm not complaining.

leadman
02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I bought a bucket earlier this week. Had about #36 clip-ons, #100 of stick ons, a handful of iron ww, lugnuts, valve stems.

Usually the stick-ons and clip-on amounts are reversed, with #5 to #10 of zinc. This was from a custom wheel shop so I quess this explains the high amount of stick-ons.

RayinNH
02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I haven't gotten WW in a couple of years so things may have changed, but that seems like a lot of stick-ons. Nice score on the valve stem:drinks:...Ray

Gelandangan
02-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, there is old chewing gum, cigarette butts and packs, some candy wrappers but mostly WWs.

Oh theres plenty of zinc wws in the bucket too.

Bullshop Junior
02-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Lets see.
From here is town we get pure wheel weights.

From Fairbanks we get

Mostly Tire stickers
Valve stems
Dirty rags
Candy
Plastic bags
Tobacco cans
Cigarette butts
A few small tools
Lug Nuts
Tire patches
Wheel weights of all types
Steel
Zinc
Stick on
And lead
Other

BSkerj
02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I weighed my last bucket and it was exactly 100lbs (not quite full 5 gal. bucket) After smelting ended up with 72 lb of good stuff. I guess that makes about 28% junk.

But is was free !

saigafan2008
02-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I usually buy WW ingots, but I managed to score a free bucket of raw WWs this summer. Contents weighed ~75 lbs. I finally sorted thru them a couple of weeks ago. Here's what I found:

54.8 lbs lead clip-on WW (73%)
13.4 lbs lead stick-on WW (17.9%)
3 lbs Fe WW (both clip-on and stick-on = 4%)
2.75 lbs Zn WW (both clip-on and stick-on = 3.7%)
~1 lb of clips w/o WW attached, nuts, trash and 5 valve stems (1.4%)

That's ~91% lead overall.

What I found was that everything labeled 5gr was either Zn or Fe, never lead. Nearly all my Fe clip-ons were NOT riveted. Surprised the heck out of me. I was also surprised to get more Fe than Zn, especially since I had a lot of Zn stick-ons. Also, this is the first I've seen the Fe stick-on WW...

BTW, this was in central Texas. YMMV

Carl

dudel
02-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Place where I get my WW, you bring the bucket, and they dip their paws into their barrel and transfer it to your bucket.

Less chance of getting gum, butts, razor blades, valve stems etc. Still get a bit of zinc and iron, but not too much.

blikseme300
02-11-2010, 07:24 AM
I get my WW's from here: http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=12

These large WW's come 8 to a box and never includes zinc, valve stems or bubble gum. :bigsmyl2:

I switched to getting my casting supply from commercial sources as WW supplies were drying up and yields were going way down. Occasionally I do get a bucket, but not enough to feed my habit.

Bliksem

qajaq59
02-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I can't seem to lose. The stick-ons get used up in my muzzle loader, the WW in my rifles, and the zinc will eventually become fishing sinkers for friends. And the junk keeps the trash guy working..... So even he's happy!

Rex
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
More zinc and steel than ever. The stick on gets thrown in the pot with the clip on weights.
Rex

JeffinNZ
02-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Far to much stick on and Zn. Come the day that I have to BUY wheel weights I will be sitting down in the scrap yard and sorting them.