PDA

View Full Version : Primer Alert

jdgabbard
02-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I know some of you are still feeling the pain of having a short supply. So I figured I'd let you that need them know. Powder Valley has Wolf primers of virtually all flavors in stock.

Remember when buying: Get enough for yourself, but leave some for the other guy. Otherwise this "scare" is never going to end.

jonk
02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm set but thanks for the heads up.

There are still hoarders. One guy I know started buying frantically at ANY price when Obama got in. He's got more money than sense and is approaching 1 million primers on his shelf alone. And buying 5-10,000 more every month.

He's also sitting on a wharehouse full of centerfire ammo. I call it that, but it's really just a steel quonset hut type arrangement. Man was he mad when CMP put limits on how much he could buy...

To be fair, he does (legally) own a few machine guns... they go through the ammo fast.

sheepdog
02-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Theres no shortage and no scare anymore. If you cant find a box of whatever you need for $30 or less at a show you're not looking hard enough. Sure it needs to get back down to $15 but with the change in hazmat rules since Obama and the increase in starting reloaders this is what the price will likely be for at least a couple years.

jdgabbard
02-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Theres no shortage and no scare anymore. If you cant find a box of whatever you need for $30 or less at a show you're not looking hard enough. Sure it needs to get back down to $15 but with the change in hazmat rules since Obama and the increase in starting reloaders this is what the price will likely be for at least a couple years.

Sheepdog, with all due respect, people are still having a shortage in some areas. And to add to this, the only brand that Powder Valley has in stock, at least as far as their website goes, is Wolf. And the last time, I noticed it went pretty fast....

scrapcan
02-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Sheepdog,

That may be correct in your area, but it definitely is not correct in my area. The last show I went to, January 30th & 31st, There were no primers at the show. Period no primers at any cost.

Last weekend there was a show, I did not attend, have freinds and relatives that went both days. One relative is regular vendor and has tables. He said the primers were gone early saturday morning before 10 am. Most of the stock went friday night as the vendors set up and before the general public was allowed on the floor.

snake river marksman
02-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Industry reps at the shot show said they didn't see getting caught up to all the backorders before late summer this year. And that was provided that some new scare didn't set everyone off again.

Edit to add there aren't ANY primers around here either.

exile
02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
How has Obama changed the hazmat rules? Nothing that guy does surprises me anymore.

exile

Ole
02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I was shocked & happy to see when my local gun store had a shelf full of every type of primer about a week ago (Phoenix, AZ area).

02-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Sheepdog,
No, sir, availability is still very tight. Try to find CCI, Remington or Winchester primers some place other than where you live.

I placed a Powder Valley primer and powder order because there's nothing to be had here. At that, they were the only company that had primers (Wolf only) AND the powder I needed -- IMR4895 (no H4895), W296 no (H110), Unique.

If it wasn't for the Russian mafia, the primer situation wouldn't be any better than it was starting last Spring.

mike in co
02-10-2010, 07:06 PM

obama did nothign to hazmat rules and fees...those are strictly vendor fees...not government fees.
they went up last year from 20 per to 22.50 per, and this year to 25 per.

mike in co

mike in co
02-10-2010, 07:10 PM

and it aint going back to 15 eaither.....

cost of materials have gone up and that alone pushed primers to the low 20's.

the willingess of shooters to pay 40-100 per k means its unlikely any manufacture/distributor will lower thier prices.

we can hope, but not likely.

mike in co

Slogg76
02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
I actually saw CCI primers at my local Walmart yesterday for the first time in over a year. I bought the last 700 CCI small pistol primers they had (I'm about out of everything). The guy working there said they got in some small rifle (already gone when I got there) and small pistol. He also said it took a few days to sell them all instead of a few hours this time. They were $30 per 1,000.
Some local gun shops have had primers of every flavor for a while now. At $50 to $60 per 1,000 they are moving little. Lots of ammo sitting sround too at silly prices. At least around here it seems folks are tired of getting gouged and stuff is starting to sit.

Tazman1602
02-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Could be in your area Sheep and no disrespect intended, but when Midway sends me an email alert saying large rifle primers are in stock and ONE HOUR later they are GONE that is a serious shortage.

My local store, by local I mean 40 miles one way, large store too, every time they get in 500,000 primers I get a call and I have to give them a M/C number to get them to hold a few thousand then get in the car and drive quick..............when I get there they are GONE except for what they have held for me.

CCI BR2 which is what I like to use for my accurate rifle loads are $60K now too.

May be no shortage in Texas, but in Northern Michigan we still do and by the looks of the way they fly off the shelf at Midway I'd say we are still looking at primer shortages.

Just my .02 worth.................

Art

theperfessor
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Got 1000 Win LP primers from local gun shop last week for $42.50. He had 800 left in another box but at least I could get 1000 and not just 400 at a time. I was down to last couple hundred LPPs.

fredj338
02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Well, it will never be $15/K again, trust me. Much like gasoline, higher prices are here to stay. When you do buy, buy at least 5K to shave HM & shipping costs, 10K would be better. While I do not hoard, having 5K min of the sizes you load most is prudent as it will likely take you 3-6m to get primers w/o being raped for ridiculous prices I have seen. Primers @ $25/K delivered is still possible, but you'll likely wait awhile. Gunshows, I haven't seen any great deals here, especailly after paying parking, entry fee, time to drive there & wait in long lines. Nope, place an order w/ Graf's or PV & wait.

saigafan2008
02-10-2010, 08:34 PM
When I stopped by the local Cabela's last week they had nearly all types of primers in stock. There was only 1 brand for each type in stock though (either CCI or Federal, mostly CCI) except shotshell primers, and they didn't have LR or SRM as I recall. Only WIN primers they had in stock were shotshell primers, and no REM of any kind. Prices varied, but averaged around $39/1000.

Overall, I think this is the best the primer situation has looked locally in almost a year. Still has a ways to go before it looks like it did before the election, though. Still nearly impossible to find Rem and WIN primers locally, and the CCI primers only showed up within the last couple of weeks.

Carl

AZ-Stew
02-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Cabela's online mail order has CCI SR and SR Magnum in stock. All other CCI are on short (2-3 week) backorder. Their hazmat is only $20 and until Feb. 16, shipping is a flat $5.

They have Federal SP Magnum in stock, with the rest of the Federal line on the same 2-3 week back order as CCI.

Remington SP and LP are in stock, along with, I believe LR Mag. Other Rem. on short or long back order.

All Winchesters are on 2-3 week backorder except for LR Mag. which has no back order date.

I've bought primers and powder from them before. Their prices aren't rock bottom, but their back order estimations are pretty accurate. If you need primers, don't overlook them. Prices ran 32.95 - 34.95/K, with benchrest higher.

Regards,

Stew

jack19512
02-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I actually saw CCI primers at my local Walmart yesterday for the first time in over a year.

Your Walmart carries primers?????

jdgabbard
02-10-2010, 08:54 PM

Threw me off too!

hoosierlogger
02-10-2010, 08:58 PM

some do, but not mine. The closest retailer to me besides Gander Mountain, is 50 miles one way to a store that stocks them.

JIMinPHX
02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I was shocked & happy to see when my local gun store had a shelf full of every type of primer about a week ago (Phoenix, AZ area).

Which shop?

rbuck351
02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Consider your selves lucky you don't live in Ak. Here you have to order them and have them dropshipped to a barge forwarding outfit and barged up or send them air freight. Both are very expensive. I am one of the lucky hoarders that started hoarding before Clinton was elected and won't be out of anything for a long while. I like the term Boy Scout as in Be Prepared rather than hoarder but suit yourself. We have primers showing up here and there but at 35 per thou I can afford to wait a while.

saigafan2008
02-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Cabela's is always cheaper online than locally. Problem is I can't justify paying HAZMAT fees unless I'm buying at least 5K of primers, and my cash flow doesn't like buying that many at a time. :-(

Carl

mike in co
02-10-2010, 10:22 PM

product lines are reginonal...

we use to have guns , bit no more
no supplies, but ammo yes

rjbishop
02-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Here in Colorado Springs, the Wal-Marts don't carry reloading supplies. The Wal-Mart in Fountain (10 miles south) DOES carry reloading components. The main reason most Wal-Marts don't carry reloading components is due to local fire codes- mainly having to do with storage. The Fountain Wal-Mart doesn't have to deal with stringent Fire Codes, thus is happy to carry reloading components.

Russ68
02-11-2010, 06:42 AM
There is still a shortage around here. The last two shows I went to (last month) there were NO SP primers to be had at any price. The small amount of other size primers I did see, were obviously very old stock (ragged looking boxes) and trying to get $35 and up for them. On the flip side, Gander Mountain here has a couple sizes/brands - not a great or varied selection by any means - for the ridiculous price of $50 per 1000.

That'll Do
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
The last gun show I went to had primers available–I was able to stock up, getting 2000 small pistol (Federal and Winchester) and 3000 Large Pistol (CCI and Winchester). I shoot around 500 rounds a week, so I'll be OK for the time being.

The local shops are starting to have primers available all the time, if not every brand, at least every type.

HeavyMetal
02-11-2010, 12:01 PM
At the Costa Mesa gun show Jan 30 , 31 I bought 1K small pistol primers, wolf, and paid 24.95

Could have had CCI or Winchester for 29.95 all flavors but small pistol mag

Some outfit in Grass Valley Ca. had the booth you guys might google for them didn't catch a name sorry.

Slogg76
02-11-2010, 02:23 PM
All the walmarts I've been to in WV carry reloading stuff that I know of. They have always had shotgun primers, but I've not seen anything else in a while. They usually carry CCI primers. My local Walmart has plenty of powder too-if you like Unique, Varget, IMR 4064, or R22.

sirgknight
02-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I absolutely REFUSE to pay absorbent prices for anything, including PRIMERS. If it takes buying Russian primers to fit my budget, then so be it. Don't get me wrong, I try to buy anything I can that's made in the USA, but it's getting to the point to where hardly anything is made here anymore. Everything I pick up in any store says made in Malaysia, Made in China, Made in Taiwan, Made in Mexico, Made in who knows where. Wolf primers, as I understand, are made by the same people who sold under the PMC label. In any event, none of our gun shows have primers for less than $40/1000. Stores get in limited supplies that last less than a day when they do come in. I'm actually getting to like the Wolf Primers. Myself and ten of my reloading buddies just placed an order for 16,000 of them. We have no access to any other kind of primers. The cost?....$28/1000 including hazmat fees and shipping. We didn't even have to leave our home....we didn't have to burn 2 or 3 gallons of gasoline....we didn't have to find 2 or 3 extra hours to drive 80 miles round trip. It was delivered right to the door for
$28/1000. We can forget cheap primer prices....they will never go back to $15-20/1000. Those days are gone forever, and if somebody don't get off of their tails and go to the voting booth, we are looking at only the very richest being able to enjoy the hobby that we so richly love today. OK....OK.....I'm off the soapbox.

mike in co
02-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Wolf primers, as I understand, are made by the same people who sold under the PMC label. .

sorta right.
the pmc primers were made by the same people that make the wolf primers. the murmon factory in russia. (as in pmc sold primers made in the murmon factory. and why pmc does not have the primers is cause...wolf decided to market primers)

mike in co

mpmarty
02-15-2010, 10:19 PM
In October of 2008 I smelled what was coming and ordered 30,000 Wolf LP primers from Grafs at $17.00 a thousand after discounts and hazmat etc. I use them in most of my mid range rifle cast boolit loads. They work just fine.

jdgabbard
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
In October of 2008 I smelled what was coming and ordered 30,000 Wolf LP primers from Grafs at $17.00 a thousand after discounts and hazmat etc. I use them in most of my mid range rifle cast boolit loads. They work just fine.

I didn't go to that extreme. But lets just say that if I needed to go without buying for a while, it wouldn't slow me down much...

Tazman1602
02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Got email from Midway this afternoon at 4:30pm about primers being back in stock. Just checked and they seem to be already sold out.

...........but there's no shortage and no hoarding going on...........and the prices WOW......

OLPDon
02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Got email from Midway this afternoon at 4:30pm about primers being back in stock. Just checked and they seem to be already sold out.

...........but there's no shortage and no hoarding going on...........and the prices WOW......

We need primer as much as we need Gasoline. When summer rolls around gas is up in price. All a matter of supply, demand and GREED.....

emorris
02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I live in ripley tn which is close to nothing, in the middle of everything. There is a bass pro shop im memphis and a gander mt in jackson. It is a about the same driving time to get to one as the other (1hr). We do not have a local gun shop only a few places that offer a small number of rifles, which are local business that carry them for ffl reasons. Our local wal mart no longer sells guns. There is only place close (30 min drive) that sells reloading supplies. Their prices are well adjusted to the times. (almost 40.00 for a box of .380 target) Gander Mtn recentally started having primers 4.99 a hundred. Brass pro's are about 34.00 thousand. It is looking like it costs about as much to shoot your handgun reloads today as it did to shoot factory ammo two years ago.

eljefe
02-16-2010, 09:02 PM
$15 per thousand would be below what my wholesaler charges for CCI primers.
I lucked into 11 cases this morning (six sp and five sr) and was charged $120
per case plus hazmat fee.

I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds for resale with wolf primers and they
have been just fine. They are a little harder than CCI or so it seems.

mike in co
02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
We need primer as much as we need Gasoline. When summer rolls around gas is up in price. All a matter of supply, demand and GREED.....

no one said you had to buy any...., BUY A HORSE, take up archery if you cannot stand people making a living in the sporting goods business.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Marlin Hunter
02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Two weeks ago I was in one of the local gun shops. They had 2 boxes of Federal Magnum Large Pistol Primers for $35 per thousand. I really didn't need them right now, but bought them anyways. They also had CCI small pistol magnum primers for $37, but I left them for someone else. I still have 3k.

P.S. I find it strange how Federal ships their primers in plastic containers that are 4 times bigger than they need to be.

VintageRifle
02-16-2010, 09:51 PM
I was at a local gunshow the first of the month. SR CCI primers $24.99/1000. Was trying to sell my only SR gun and didn't get any. Didn't sell my carbine and forgot to go back and get some. All I have is LR right now and some SP.

OLPDon
02-17-2010, 02:26 AM
[QUOTE=mike in co;814384]no one said you had to buy any...., BUY A HORSE, take up archery if you cannot stand people making a living in the sporting goods business.

By no means do I feel that someone investing there time, money, hard work and effort should not make a profit. Nor do I expect a owner to be as generous as the member in the "Cast Boolit Forum". Some take advantage of the times, and put the dollar first and the Customer second. Finding a business that one can trust fall far and few. I can look myself in the mirror in the morning with no regreats. I have been blessed and retired for a number of yrs. I also know I was fair to all my customers. And yes sometimes I didn't make the money I would of liked but I gained a faithful customer and well worth that days loss. What goes around comes around.

I worry not if I desire to buy a item I set a price which is reasonable to me, and if I want to pay more then I would like I do so with little regreat. It is, what it is. I have done well and sleep well at night. Must admit that I never took advantage of any of my Customers.

I surly don't have to worry about if I can afford tomorrow. As stated before I am quite Blessed and Lucky also.

Don

mike in co
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
nice followup reply don, but the original is still objectionable to me.

its a generic statement that anyone selling primers is greedy............

it does not say some selling...it implys all.....
so i will stay with my words...buy a bow and a horse..........quit whinning........

jdgabbard
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
:takinWiz:

Wow...

lead4me
02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Here in the Ann Arbor area I have been able to go and get LP primers almost at will. The Firing line has them 1k Winchester for 34.00, Magnum Force in Monroe has them for 38.00 @ 1k last time I checked. Gander Mt is gouging people @ 49.99 for 1k don't shop their anymore ( for primers) anyway. Cabelas has them spotty though call every morning and they will hold 3k for you for 1 1/2 hours at least they did for me. I have not tried it but I was told you could use small rifle in place of large pistol.
Oh and everyone I mentioned had rifle primers last week end.

Marlin Hunter
02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
I have not tried it but I was told you could use small rifle in place of large pistol.

You can use large rifle primers in large pistol cases, and small rifle in small pistol cases, but you can not put small rifle primers in a large pistol primer hole. The rifle primers are suppose to be for higher pressure, so you can't use pistol primers in a rifle case. You may also have to have a stronger firing pin spring to ignite the rifle primers in a pistol. I have had no problems using rifle primers in my pistol ammo. It would be advisable to reduce the loads by 10% just in case the rifle primers are hotter.

Storydude
02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Store A buys primers at 12.00/K and sells at 24/K
Store B buys at the same 12/K and sells for 19.99/K

Store A is making a profit as is Store B.

I'll bet after the MARKET settles demand, Store B has sold more primers than Store A, and therefore made more PROFIT than Store A.

I have no problem with free market. That's what allows me to control the pricing and Stores I buy from. and what allows those overcharging beyond FMV, to go out of business.

mike in co
02-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Store A buys primers at 12.00/K and sells at 24/K
Store B buys at the same 12/K and sells for 19.99/K

Store A is making a profit as is Store B.

I'll bet after the MARKET settles demand, Store B has sold more primers than Store A, and therefore made more PROFIT than Store A.

I have no problem with free market. That's what allows me to control the pricing and Stores I buy from. and what allows those overcharging beyond FMV, to go out of business.

the only issue with your data is that no commercial retailer buys primers at 12 per k today.
and there is not supporting data that both stores are able to obtain the same amount of primers...highly unlikely in last years enviroment.

you plan assumes a uniform supply which is not realistic today.
way to simplistic of a view.......

mike in co

BruceB
02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Just to drift the thread a wee bit, this is a classic case of "Never say never."

" The rifle primers are suppose to be for higher pressure, so you can't use pistol primers in a rifle case. " -Marlin Hunter

Au contraire. MANY cast-bullet loaders use pistol primers in preference to rifle primers, because the less-violent ignition gives better results on target. I'm one of those hand-loaders, and right now I tend to use large pistol primers in most of my NON-AUTOLOADER recipes with cast bullets. The bolt, lever and single shot rifles thrive on large pistol primers.

Marlin Hunter is of course perfectly correct when we speak of jacketed-load pressures, but most of my CB loads never come close to those figures. My gas-operated rifles always get CCI 34 or CCI 200 primers, because I want them to function as they were designed to work, and this takes a pretty emphatic boost to the bullet.

Back on topic, when I operated a small gun/handloading business from my home, the typical wholesale discount on components was 25%...an item "listing" at $100 came to me for $75. If I then sold it at "list price" ($100) I had a profit of 33%. If I sold it for less, then the profit margin was reduced. Out of that so-called profit margin came such things as shipping, insurance, electricity and telephone charges, etc.....and I wasn't even using a storefront!

Ever since my days in a rudimentary business, I tend to cut dealers quite a bit of slack. Not to a ridiculous extent, of course, but I've experienced the other side of the counter enough to know that it's no cakewalk.

Scotts556
02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up.:cool:

Scott