PDA

View Full Version : Lee .310 and WC820

Bigscot
06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
I am wanting to try the Lee 310 mould in a Win 94 in .44 mag with WC820. I was wondering if anyone had any load range reccomendations with this powder. Also, I will take and load reccomendations with Unique, 296 and 2400 which I also have.

Thanks,

Bigscot

Correction! I hit a mental speed bump. I mean the Lee .429, 310 GRAIN boolit.

TCLouis
06-12-2006, 07:11 PM
you might want to edit your post and add 429 in front of the .310. I thought it was a thread about 30 caliber 0.310 bullet.

Luckily I know (or at least I claim to) more about the 429310 in 44 mag with WC 820.

The MOST! accurate load I have ever shot out of my SRH is this bullet with 18.5 grains of OLD SLOW lot WC820. This lot of powder can be loaded up to about 22 grains with this bullet, But . . . BUT the new FASTER lots of WC820 will have to be loaded down according to AA#9 load data. I did not chrono the bullet in the SRH but I can assure it will move along smartly out of the carbine.

Bigscot
06-12-2006, 07:43 PM
TC Louis

You are right. I did not even catch it until now. I had the weight of 310 gns on the mind. I have just borrowed the mould again from a friend to try it in the rifle. Thanks for the heads up and the information.

BS

454PB
06-12-2006, 10:59 PM
From my range book:

Lee 310 gr., cast of wheelweights, sized .430

21 Gr. H-110, CCI 350 1230 fps. avg. in my 7 1/2" Ruger RH

Same boolit, same gun, same primer 20 gr. WC 820 1287 fps. avg.

Same boolit, same gun, same primer 19.1 gr. Hodgdon Lil'Gun 1350 fps. avg.

I've gotten over 1450 fps. with Lil'Gun, but found that extraction became sticky so I backed off to the load referenced above.

If you used these loads in a 94, you would probably gain 250 to 300 fps. increase in velocity. At least that's what I've seen in My Puma .454 rifle compared to the same ammo fired in a handgun.

Newtire
06-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Fired in Ruger Auto-carbine.
20.0 gr. Win. 296 with the Lee 310RF. Water Dropped at 17.9BHN (according to Lee tester). Best load so far in this gun for me.
13.5 gr. 2400=fails to function the action.
15.5 gr. 2400=Shoots accurately but about 2" lower than 296 load @ 50 yds.
Sorry, have no chrono.

Dale53
06-13-2006, 02:33 PM
NONE of you fellows have mentioned which crimp groove you use. Loading a max load when the bullet is seated "long" will be an overload when seated "short". Please help the gentleman out with your crimping instructions.

Dale53

Bucks Owin
06-13-2006, 02:52 PM
My favorite for big bullets at higher velocity is Hodgdon's LilGun. 18 grs of it behind the 310 Lee, crimped in rear groove gives me 1250 fps in my 10" barrel at only moderate pressure...(I used GFL cases and WLP sparkers)

FWIW,

Dennis

BTW, I too am interested in "recipes" using WC-820. Powder is getting too dern expensive in the canister grades, I'm gonna burn some reclaimed too! :drinks:

TCLouis
06-13-2006, 07:54 PM
As much as I hate to have to say it, but I have to use the front groove in both my Redhawk and Super Redhawk.

May NOT be what I want because the cylinder is long enough to crimping in the back groove, but the chamber throat interferes with cartridge seating if I seat the boolit long. It is amazing what just a few thousandths in diameter will do,

YES, A VERY . . . VERY BIG DISAPPOINTMENT TO ME!!!!!!

BUT the groups at 50 yards keep me quiet and I just go on.

It will certainly do anything I ever need done with a 44 Mag!
After all, MOMENTUM has great advantages.

Bucks Owin
06-13-2006, 08:40 PM
As much as I hate to say it I have to use the front groove in both my Redhawk and Super Redhawk.

May NOT be what I want and the cylinder is more than long enough to support the other groove being used . . . . the throat interferes with cartridge seating if I see the bolit long.

YES, A VERY . . . VERY BIG DISAPPOINTMENT TO ME!!!!!!

It will still do anything I ever need done!

I've polished out the throats to .432" in my Blackhawk. A little on the large size but accuracy is fine and the 310 lee fits easily in it....

The RCBS 225 boolit I don't even size....(And they are more accurate that way it seems)

FWIW,

Dennis

454PB
06-13-2006, 10:39 PM
This brings up some interesting challenges I've had with both the .44 and .45 caliber Lee long boolits. I had the same tight chambering problems and traced it down to the fact that using my Lyman sizers, you have to push the boolit very deeply into the die to size the forward portion enough. When you do this, it squirts lube past the ogive (what little there is). The solution was to size twice, once to lube, then reset for deeper sizing and run them through again without any lube pressure. I have recently acquired a Star sizer, and that cures the problem.

As to crimping, I crimp all the .44's in the rear crimp groove. On the .45's, I have to use the forward crimp groove for any ammo that will be used in my Puma .454 Casull. If I use the rear groove, they won't feed properly. My Freedom Arms 83 accepts the Lee boolit crimped in the rear groove, but when I use the Lyman 452651 330 grain, the boolit nose is only about .050" from the cylinder face..As Dale mentioned, the deeper seating requires a reduction in powder charge.

All the previous loads I mentioned in this thread were with the boolit crimped in the rear groove.

Newtire
06-14-2006, 12:01 AM
NONE of you fellows have mentioned which crimp groove you use. Loading a max load when the bullet is seated "long" will be an overload when seated "short". Please help the gentleman out with your crimping instructions.

Dale53
OK Mister Dale,
I seated the bullet right to the last crimp groove and only the nose was left sticking out. Went under recommended load but with that thought in mind that this is a deep seated bullet, think this is a good place to stop for me. Only way it will chamber in my Carbine. No flat primers like I have seen on even factory .44 mag stuff so assume it's alright. Primers are pistol primers ya know so takes less pressure to make em flat. Anyway, that's "The rest of the Story"

Dale53
06-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Newtire;
Thanks for responding. That should help the fellow stay out of trouble.

Dale53

Bigscot
06-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I hope to be stuffing some these today. I'll try the rear groove first and see how it chambers and cycles from the magazine.

BS