PDA

View Full Version : Technique - bottom pour

WARD O
02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I have done much of my casting with a ladle in single/double cavity large bullet moulds - BPCR. Lately I have been buying and using some of the group buy moulds with 5 or 6 cavities and have been trying to use an old SAECO bottom pour pot. I currently elevate this pot about 8" above my bench but
I can not seem to see the spout very easily and have trouble aligning the mould with the spout. Should I elevate it more?

The mould guide with this pot is adjustable for elevation but not width and does not seem to fit any of the moulds I normally use.

Any suggestions on how to make this work more smoothly? What technique seems to work for the rest of you?

Thanks
Ward

DLCTEX
02-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I too elevate my bottom pour pot about 8". Any higher is uncomfortable to work the moulds. I scratched a couple marks on the pot to aid in visually aligning the mould with the spout and that helps.

Edubya
02-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I raised mine also. I stand while casting and my bench top is only 34". My recommendation is to make a stand to use it while bottom pouring and when you want to ladle, take it off of the stand. Just remember that stand must be solid! That weight will be at about shoulder height and you wouldn't want that molten lead to tip.
EW

runfiverun
02-10-2010, 11:52 PM
the bottom of my pot is about shoulder height and the bench is below my armpits.
i can see without stooping, i can lower my mold and open it in one motion.
and light seems better too.

Goatlips
02-11-2010, 01:15 AM
I removed the mold guide from my Lee bottom pour and slid some broken pieces of marble slab underneath. Makes a large target when you insert the mold and takes the weight; you can slide the mold back and forth under the silver stream easily.

Goatlips

ghh3rd
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
You could make a jig from 2x4's to slide each opening under the spout -- takes care of the left/right wiggle; all you have to worry about is stopping under the spout.