PDA

View Full Version : Dipper Techniques

vp146b4
02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I generally cast for rifle bullets, 32-40, 8.15 and 45/70. I bought a Lyman bottom pour pot and I haven't been happy with the % of good filled out bullets. I've cleaned the mould and have increased the casting temperature. Now I want to try and use the dipper again, and see if that improves the fillout. I've viewed a few casting youtubes and have noticed that most people hold the mould with the opening up and then tilt and pour the lead, with an open stream, into the opening until a spruce appears. Originally when I started dipping, I held the mould horizonally then held the dipper tight against the opening, then rotated them both at the same time to pour the lead into the mould, then held for a few seconds until I felt it was solid and didn't need the head anymore.
Which method do the majority of everybody use?

BABore
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
For the ultimate dipper fillout, I do the same tilt and tip upright method. Depending on the mold's wants I may lift the dipper at a timed count to prevent flashing, ect before the cavity is completely filled. I always lift the dipper at the end to pour a real healthy sprue. For big boolits, it's important that the dipper pour hole is at least 0.160 to 0.180 diameter. This allows for a fast fill.

I use a RCBS dipper for all boolits over 250 grains or lighter ones that are more than 0.750 long. For the rest I use a 1 lb Rowell bottom pour ladle with a "V" filed into the pour spout. If fillout is acceptable with the Rowell, I run with it. You can ladle cast with a Rowell as fast as with a bottom pour pot.

NVcurmudgeon
02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I generally cast for rifle bullets, 32-40, 8.15 and 45/70. I bought a Lyman bottom pour pot and I haven't been happy with the % of good filled out bullets. I've cleaned the mould and have increased the casting temperature. Now I want to try and use the dipper again, and see if that improves the fillout. I've viewed a few casting youtubes and have noticed that most people hold the mould with the opening up and then tilt and pour the lead, with an open stream, into the opening until a spruce appears. Originally when I started dipping, I held the mould horizonally then held the dipper tight against the opening, then rotated them both at the same time to pour the lead into the mould, then held for a few seconds until I felt it was solid and didn't need the head anymore.
Which method do the majority of everybody use?

I have owned three bottom feeders and consider them to be "tools of the devil" as Bret does. Most casting for the last 40 years has been done with the dipper. The RCBS ladle is large enough to support all two cavity moulds up to 250 gr. and a H&G four cavity 200 gr. #68 mould. RCBS puts a handy fin on the bottom to rake the dross aside between casts. I manage to make 90% visually perfect casts on a bad day; 95% plus on a good day. The dipping technique is to point the mould down about 20 degrees, connect the ladle while leveling the mould, then roll the ladle away leaving a generous sprue. (Easier on the wrist.) I gently tap the handles on the edge of the pot to settle the metal before it solidifies. Casting is done at 700-750 degrees on the RCBS thermometer, which seems suspiciously low. I am careful to insure that all castings are frosted, but no higher temperature adjustment than required to maintain frosting. As the heat source is a Coleman stove it is easy to adjust temperature in very small increments.

grouch
02-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I like Charley Dell's method (Modern Scheutzen Rifle) where you fill the mold then continue to pour lead over the sprue for a second or so - long enough that no draw down shows on the hardened sprue. Whether I pour in contact with the mold or not depends on the mold.
Grouch

mooman76
02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm probably the oddball here. I like the Lee dipper. It has worked well for me for years so I see no need to change even though I tried once but couldn't get used to it so why bother? Anyway like grouch I like to pour on top the sprue untill I get a good size puddle there, it helps with fillout.