PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Pour

wistlepig1
02-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Does it make any differnce in your bullits if you hold the mold away from the nozzle or if it is touching the nozzle?[smilie=s:

Bullshop Junior
02-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Depends.

rbuck351
02-10-2010, 03:41 AM
It usually does make a difference but only your mold can tell you what it likes. Try different methods and see which works for you.

303Guy
02-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Pray, tell us more, Bullshop Junior? :rolleyes:

(Love that avatar! :mrgreen: )

dudel
02-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Does it make any differnce in your bullits if you hold the mold away from the nozzle or if it is touching the nozzle?[smilie=s:

I find it works best for me with a Lee bottom pour and Lee molds. The sprue plate seems to mate quite well with bottom spout. I get good fills and smaller sprues.

As others said though, YMMv

lwknight
02-10-2010, 05:22 AM
It does matter. After working on my pot to clear the spout , I started getting fugly boolits that looked like they had inclusions. I knew the alloy was good and as clean as backyard/garage smelting could get it. My molds were good and hot and the pot was at 700 degrees.

I was trying to figure out what had changed when it occurred to me that I has lowered the mold rest to the point where I had about 3/4" or more to the mold from the spout. I got thinking that the inclusions looked like the oxidized surface of the melt. So I raised the mold guide/rest so that I had about 1/4" air gap and the fuglys went away.

I'm convinced that the stream falling through too much air will cause oxidation that follows right into the mold causing the boolits to appear to have foreign material inclusions.

wistlepig1
02-10-2010, 09:57 PM
LWnight,
yes I noticed that too. I refluxed and started again without paying any attention to the nozzle. I didn't make the connection between the nozzle distance at that time. It was very cool in the garage (25) and a wind at the time. I will have to try it again under the same condictions.