PDA

View Full Version : Star mods possible ?

neophyte1
02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Just a few thoughts to throw out there and get some feedback.

How about a return spring for the Star Handle? I have a few Ideas from an exterior tension spring to a compressing spring on the outside shaft. Anybody done anything similar ?

Found a hay hook at a local auction that when shortened made a great D roller handle for the unit. The key was getting the right shaft diameter for it to fit.

Lee bullet feed magazine tubes adapted to the bullet feeder. You have a rotating
supply of a lot of bullets. A heck of a lot more than a single stack and MUCH shorter.

OK what have you guys tried ?

Artful
02-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Pic's - I'd like to see your mod's in detail - I haven't done anything to mine

runfiverun
02-09-2010, 11:34 PM
there should be a thread with pics to show how tpo rig up the return spring.
i just bought some 1/2" and 38ths" id clear plastic pipe from the supply store about 15 years ago and made 20 sumthin fill tubes for the regular boolit feeder.
it gives me about 2+k capacity and i can fill them and start the wife keeps them full once i start.
i usually spend a full day sizing this way, and have an ample supply of that boolit on hand. then start casting for the next one i need.
you might not need to keep 5 gallon buckets full of cast and lubed boolits around though.

blikseme300
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I made my own boolit feeder. It works well, but without a collator there is no performance advantage over just doing each by hand. (Unless you can convince the SWMBO to be the collator.)

I actually prefer to hand feed the Star as it gives me the opportunity to inspect the boolits before sizing.

Bliksem

Dalton Masterson
04-18-2010, 02:16 AM
How about something to organize bullets as they come out? I cast Big Lube blackpowder bullets with soft lube, and keep them in 50 count styrofoam containers, to keep them from getting the lube messed up.
I use an airfeed, so all I have to do is grab a handfull of bullets, feed them and crank the handle.
I want a way to feed them into a tube, so that they can be easily put into a container later. Maybe attach a pvc tube to the bottom of the luber, to catch the bullets in that?

Any other ideas? Growing a 3rd hand is NOT an option at this time.
DM

LAH
04-18-2010, 03:00 PM
How about something to organize bullets as they come out? I cast Big Lube blackpowder bullets with soft lube, and keep them in 50 count styrofoam containers, to keep them from getting the lube messed up.
I use an airfeed, so all I have to do is grab a handfull of bullets, feed them and crank the handle.
I want a way to feed them into a tube, so that they can be easily put into a container later. Maybe attach a pvc tube to the bottom of the luber, to catch the bullets in that?

Any other ideas? Growing a 3rd hand is NOT an option at this time.
DM

Never thought of catching them in a tube as they come out of the die. Should work..........Creeker

Triggerhappy
04-18-2010, 03:07 PM
runfiverun, could you post a pic of your rotary feeder? I'd like to build one and hate to re invent the wheel. I'm sure you had some good ideas I could use.

Thanks

Springfield
04-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Dalton: sounds like you need a bullet feeder, it frees up the left hand to put the bullets in the trays.

deltaenterprizes
04-18-2010, 05:02 PM
runfiverun, could you post a pic of your rotary feeder? I'd like to build one and hate to re invent the wheel. I'm sure you had some good ideas I could use.

Thanks

Look at LEEs rotary case feeder made for the lee 1000.