PDA

View Full Version : .243 Tika 595 Whitetail Hunter (LH) question.

dromia
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm toying with the idea of getting a Tikka Whitetail in .243" Win.

I've shot many a red with .243" in my youth with condom bullets and have fondness for the cartridge. There was a big 243"/270" argument amongst the old keepers in those days, 35 odd years ago, when they finally let go of the .303" sporting rounds. It was the acceptance of telescopic sights that finally broke the .303" supremacy methinks. The flatter shooting cartridges made 200 yrd + shots an option then, so if you couldn't see it then you couldn't shoot it so glass was in.

Anyway I digress, I have an option on a Tika 595 Whitetail Hunter (LH) in .243" Win with 200 rounds down the barrel.

So if I was to make this a cast boolit rifle what are my mould options?

Any views on this rifle from a cast boolit, or condom even, point of view? Not sure on the twist rate but still looking so help here would be appreciated

Also any general info or discussion on shooting .243" would be welcome.

I've heard from "F" class shooters that this is an exceptional cartidge if AI'd (Ackley Improved) so thoughts on this please, I don't need convincing on improving case shoulder angles in general but views on it in relation to the .243" would be appreciated.

AI'd chambered .243"s fetch silly money over here so how practical would it be for an AI re-chamber?

Is it worth it for the increased performance in .243" from a practical point of view?

I can locate a reamer and a competent "smith" to do the work.

If I was to AI it, is case forming as simple as I think it would be?

Yes I know stupid question but shy bairns get nowt.

Any and all thoughts on this welcomed.

dromia
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
BTW would this have the makings of a bench gun, new stock and perhaps a heavier barrel?

Just thinking ahead and aloud as the old peepers and body seem to be called more and more to the sitting down, soft cushion discilpines.

Bass Ackward
02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
1. So if I was to make this a cast boolit rifle what are my mould options?

2. Any views on this rifle from a cast boolit, or condom even, point of view? Not sure on the twist rate but still looking so help here would be appreciated

3. Is it worth it for the increased performance in .243" from a practical point of view?

4. If I was to AI it, is case forming as simple as I think it would be?

Any and all thoughts on this welcomed.

1. Slim unless you go to a custom maker. But they are out there.

2. Probably a 10 twist.

3. IMO , No. Yours may be different, but the 308 family is basically an improved cartridge design already. The AI adds little, adds significantly to die costs and removes some of the overall flexibility especially for cast.

4. Yep. Just load and seat out to touch the rifling, use a starting level load, and shoot.

I say go for it. You will have the action and the wood. Someday, when sanity sets in, you will have a nice outfit from which to convert to the 35 bore where you WILL curse yourself for not getting there earlier.

dromia
02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I say go for it. You will have the action and the wood. Someday, when sanity sets in, you will have a nice outfit from which to convert to the 35 bore where you WILL curse yourself for not getting there earlier.

Thanks Bass for the .243" input.

Ah, but the .35" is another project, another rifle and another post. :D

Retirement lurks and dreams get realised. :cbpour:

GrizzLeeBear
02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
I used to have a Tikka Whitetail LH in .223 Rem. It is probably the gun I regret selling the MOST. [smilie=b: It was the most accurate gun I ever had. 1/2 - 3/4 MOA consistently. Great trigger. It was about as perfect as you can get for a walking around woodchuck and predator calling gun.

I would recommend leaving it as is. Rechambering to .243 AI will gain you NOTHING and will cost you $$ in gunsmithing, barrel wear, powder, primers and bullets in fireforming. At least over here, they are hard to find since Tikka came out with the T3. There are others that would be easier to rebarrel, etc. to make a benchrest gun (Savage comes to mind, if you can get them there).

If you get a good price on it, jump on it, and enjoy it as is.

DLCTEX
02-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm not familiar with the 595, but my DIL has a T3 in 243 that is a really fine rifle. I agree that the AI is not worth the expense and hassle. The 243 Win. is a fine round as is. My nephew has a 6mm and it doesn't offer much more at reasonable ranges. If you were to get into shooting at 500 yds. the AI may prove more worthy, but my Savage in 243 will take Prairie Dogs at 400+ yds.