PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge length

bob4wd
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I've got a Yugo Mauser that is having some feeding issues with 165 gn. loads. Not all the time though, just enough to be annoying. I think an easy fix would be to simply load the boolits so they stick out further, so they can get a head start on the ramp. As long as I stay within max length specs, and keep most of the boolit in the neck, will having one or two lube grooves exposed hurt anything ??
Thanks

Cherokee
02-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Don't know the gun but having exposed lube grooves is not a problem. You just want to keep them from accumulating grit while exposed to handling and such. Just my 2 cents.

pdawg_shooter
02-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree, no problem. Fact is a Loveren design with grooves full length is the easiest design to get to shoot good.

runfiverun
02-10-2010, 11:39 PM
iv'e seated some so far out of the case i thought they were gonna fall out.
i let the nose center itself and gently slide the boolit into the case neck as i close the bolt.
pretty dang accurate but a lot of work figuring neck tension and the closing length to gain a half inch of accuracy.
i have also messed with wiping the lube from the exposed grooves leaving it in.
lubing some of the grooves lubing half of the grooves in a loverign design lubing before sizing,after sizing.
max length specs mean nothing to your rifle and load.
i try to seat everything out as far as possible unless it affects accuracy,or feeding in a hunting rifle.
it made a difference is it worth the hassels might be.
but i really doubt a rock or pop can would care.

HORNET
02-11-2010, 08:31 AM
A couple of grooves sticking out won't hurt anything if you can keep the crud and grud out of them. I've got a couple of loads where the only thing in the case mouth is the gas check. Makes
handling a little touchy but no problem other than that.