PDA

View Full Version : LubeSizer ?'s

DeadWood
02-09-2010, 03:52 AM
Still looking at my options for a beginner. Have been considering very heavly the Lyman Master Casting kit, since i have nothing and would eventually like to cast for many calibers.

Trying to understand methods to lube the boolits, If a boolit casts to size and i want to use the Lyman 4500 (or other) i still will have to purchase a sizing die and top punch to lube it?
A bettter way to ask....The sizing die lubes and sizes correct?

I've been reading up/getting confused on lubes. Using Lube in a LubeSizer...

Can i use the same lube for both pistol(.40S&W, .41mag)and rifle(30-30,30-06)?

Very confusing because i read melting temp of lube depends on caliber and we want the lube to melt at the correct time for accuracy and to prevent leading(?).?

Do you make your own lube or buy? so many choices:-?

If i have to change lube from pistol to rifle is it easy to get out of the lubesizer?

thanks

Casting Timmy
02-09-2010, 07:30 AM
You are correct for lubing bullets through a lubrisizer you'll always need a die and top punch. You can use dies to size the bullets down, or if you like the diameter as cast use a die that size or a .001" bigger and it will just apply lube.

I prefer to make my own lube and use one for lube for both rifle and pistol. I use a white lithium grease and beeswax formula, but a lot of the formulas will work out. I would recommend maybe trying some of the no heat lubes starting out so you don't have to worry about heating in lubrisizer in the beginning.

Getting it out, you can take the die out and use the machine to push most of it out. Then heat it with a light, hair dryer, or something to get the rest of it out.

I bought the master casting kit to get started too. I already had a couple of bottom pours so I sold off the pot and other things I didn't want on ebay. Might be something to consider to help get some money back out of it if you aren't thinking about ladle pouring. The book is good though that comes with the kit.

Good luck in lubing some bullets.

Firebricker
02-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Yes a Lyman sizer sizes and lubes at the same time with same die and top punch.

You can use the same lube for pistol and rifle. Some lubes are better for all around use than other's. Personally I like Carnauba Red and LBT blue but there's lots of other's that work as well. If you choose a harder lube you'll need a heater for your sizer. There is also a whole thread on lube recipe's if you want to make your own. I know a lot of guy's like and make felix lube. As far as buying it I buy from Lars stuff and plan on trying Bull Shop's speed green they both have link at bottom of page.

Changing lube in a sizer's not to bad but it's hard to time how much lube to put in if your only going to size so many boolit then switch.

The Lyman kit sound's like a good start. Plus to give you even more to think about you have Lee sizing dies or a Star.
Hope this helps FB

Taylor
02-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Got the new Midway catalog.They have the Lyman for $134,but they have the Lyman kit for $169,this comes with the lubsizer,pot,ingot mold and ladle.This is the master casting kit as refered to previously.This really seems to be the way to go,especially if you need all the above.

02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
DeadWood,
The Lyman kit is a super value, requiring only the addition of sizer dies and top punches. You will not be disappointed.

I melt a stick of Jake's Purple Ceresin -- http://www.jakesproducts.com/index.html -- with half a stick of his 50/50 Alox/Beeswax and it leaves lube stars on everything from a 3" revolver up to a 29" barrreled Swedish Mauser. It requires heat when the ambient temperature drops but a clamp-on light gets it flowing.

Changing lube is easily done but it can be messy.

DeadWood
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Excellent. Had purchased the Lyman casting manual last year along with "cast bullets for beginner cd. Wish the 4th edition came with it, but Lyman said it won't be out till this summer. I remember reading the hair dryer tip. The kit seems to be best bang for the $ in my case. My first goal was to collect a 5gal bucket of WW, did this for $12!. My goal by the end of summer is to cast/laddle dip for ML first then 30-30 and .41mag. Figured once i get over the learning curves for these and if serious enough about casting i will move on to my .40S&W and purchase a bigger furnace since i shoot more of this caliber than all my weapons combined. Then the 10lb'r can be dedicated to ML.

May have to start another thread for this ? in the LUBE forum, but will ask here also.

For those using homemade Lube, How do you get it in the sizer? I just assumed you heated it up enough to pour in? but woudn't it flow out...????

runfiverun
02-09-2010, 11:51 PM
it'll be stopped by the cold lube in the sizer.
i'd just buy some lube from lars at the bottom of this page to start.
remember you need to use black powder lube in your b/p rifle.
but you can always pan lube them.
concentrate on the casting part to start,then move along to the lube worries.
some lubes require a heater [of sorts] to make them flow in your sizer,others will do it from pressure.