PDA

View Full Version : air cooling boolits??????????????

haff202
02-09-2010, 12:12 AM
When I open my mold and drop my bullets for air cooling, WHAT should my bullets land on that will not harm them?????????? I am new to this stuff.

lylejb
02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I use a couple of old towels folded so their 3 or 4 layers thick. I save my towels for boolits only, no in the house use after being used for boolits.

I use only the finest the thrift store had....2/ $1[smilie=l:

02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
haff202,

That's it, some dedicated towels for boolit dropping only.

qajaq59
02-09-2010, 08:01 AM
And move the already cast bullets out of the way so you don't hit them with the new ones. I just swipe 'em with the back of my glove and they roll out of the way.

JSnover
02-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Shop towels. The red ones, about 1 foot square. I've been using and reusing them for years. If you wash them (seperately!) and dry at a high temp they get nice and soft for dropping hot boolits.

Edubya
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I just lay the towels out and as I get an area covered I fold the towel to keep the new boolits from banging the cooled ones. My towels are not the huge ones but are medium sized and I have no problem laying in 3-400. I'm usually ready for a break by then.
EW

44man
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Don't use any synthetic cloth unless you want cloth patched boolits! [smilie=l:
Cotton is best.

runfiverun
02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
yet another thing i do wrong it seems.
i just dump them in a big pile on the bench top.

prs
02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
One of the gals that was shoot'n cowboy action a while back, Calamity Jane Canary gave me this idea years ago. She had a trouth of wood and dumped her boolits at the top and let 'em roll down to her catch bucket - by which time they were cool enough and rooling slow enough to not have any impact. I copied that idea and added a terry towel stretched across the walls of the trough at the upper end to pad them further. My trough is about 2 1/2' long and 6"" wide and falls about 10" into one of those cake tins like wut some might bake bananna bread in. Works real well, but some trouble in crowding the bench. I get lazy and just use the bananna bread pan with a terry towel in it and forego the ramp most times.

prs

JSnover
02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
yet another thing i do wrong it seems.
i just dump them in a big pile on the bench top.

If mine was a little more level I could. I don't drop the boolits more than an inch or two but I sure got tired of them rolling onto the concrete floor... The cloth keeps them from escaping

Von Gruff
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I have a tray I made and by dropping the bullets from the mould ontpo the top tray they only go an inch or two. I have never been able to find any mark to show where they have "hit" the tray. There is a very slight slope on the tray but they generally sit there and I brush them off when there is a bit of a crowd so that I get clear tray to drop onto. The main tray holds more than enough for a session and the bullets will 'pour' out of it into an old ss dogs bowl that I sort and cull from into various receptacles till they are to be sized etc.
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/casting001.jpg

Von Gruff.

wallenba
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I lined an old baking pan with a cut up square of a carpet sample. I found a bunch being thrown into a dumpster. They probably have some man made fibers in them but I have had no problems with melting or impressing, but I do use Lyman #2 alloy which ia fairly hard.

yondering
02-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Wow, some of you guys are really going all out here.

I just drop my bullets in a cardboard box. Easy to keep track of 'em, and there's no visible damage.

thx997303
02-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I've got to do something better, seems the majority of my culls are from dings in the boolit base.

Nose, I'm not too concerned about.

yondering
02-09-2010, 08:39 PM
You might be dropping them from the mold too soon? Or maybe dropping them too high? Lot's of variables at play of course, but if you're only dropping them a couple inches, they should be able to fall into a big pile without any damage.