PDA

View Full Version : Blowup!

Bucks Owin
06-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Not sure if I've ever posted this here or not but it's a pretty dramatic photo to serve as a reminder to be careful while charging cases!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/blowup.jpg

454PB
06-12-2006, 11:44 AM
That picture is of a planned blow up, you can see that the gun is mounted in a Ransom rest. It sure nothing I'd want to be hanging on to!

redneckdan
06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
they blew up a perectly good smith.:killingpc

Shepherd2
06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
That looks a lot like a S&W 625 in .45acp that blew up at a bowling pin match some years ago. Unplanned, of course. The top strap on the one in the photo is bent a little higher but not much.. Luckily no one was hurt including the shooter. There were lots of people nearby. We never did find the rear sight or a piece of the cylinder.

The ammo was loaded on a Dillon 550 which has to be manually indexed. We figured the shooter forgot to index one round. I was reloading on a Dillon Square Deal back then which indexes automatically. When I moved up to a 550 I installed a halogen light by the press so I can see how much powder each case has.

dragonrider
06-12-2006, 01:40 PM
No fire coming out of the barrel, hence it was plugged, so yes a planned blow up.

454PB
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Here's another (I collect these.....yeah I'm weird)

This is a Colt Anaconda .44 magnum.

44man
06-13-2006, 12:11 AM
My friend ruined a .41 mag BH by failing to put powder in one case. The cylinder expanded at the next shot with the bore plugged. It bent the top strap up and the cylinder pin down. What was amazing was the cylinder never cracked. Talk about strong! He sent it to Ruger and they sold him a new one at cost.

C A Plater
06-13-2006, 12:27 AM
Here is another one for your collection.

http://tcbunch.com/kiosk/blowup.jpg

454PB
06-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Here is another one for your collection.

http://tcbunch.com/kiosk/blowup.jpg

Do you know the story?

Newtire
06-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Ya wanna sell those grips?

C A Plater
06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Do you know the story?
I got the picture from a tcbunch list member that kept is as computer wallpaper to remind him to be careful handloading. Don't remember much the details and most of that was third hand. IIRC it was a .444 barrel that was overloaded due to handloader error.

Ya wanna sell those grips?
Not my gun but I do have one on my last hard open frame for shooting the .35 Remington barrel.

Bucks Owin
06-14-2006, 02:14 PM
My friend ruined a .41 mag BH by failing to put powder in one case. The cylinder expanded at the next shot with the bore plugged. It bent the top strap up and the cylinder pin down. What was amazing was the cylinder never cracked. Talk about strong! He sent it to Ruger and they sold him a new one at cost.

When it comes to Ruger handguns, what can you say?

Dennis

Seems to me I read somewhere that a Ruger SBH tested at HP White labs didn't come "unglued" until around 80,000 CUP!
(Other Blackhawks a measley 65K!!!)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Rugertank.jpg

lar45
06-15-2006, 02:24 AM
I keep a stainless 45 colt BH cylinder next to my desk to remind me that Rugers are not indestructable. I have a small spiral crack looking line in one of the chambers that happened after shooting 405's with Bluedot.
I have a Bisley cylinder in it now and try to keep things more on the reasonable side.

I don't know if your grips question was a joke or not, but I should have a packmyer contender grip in the gun room somewhere. I put it on, but liked the Rynite grips much better. I probably have the forened with adapter in there too.

44man
06-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Bucks, I love that picture. I saved it to be my next wallpaper.

Bucks Owin
06-18-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a small spiral crack looking line in one of the chambers that happened after shooting 405's with Bluedot.

Hey, I'll take "cracked" over "shrapnel" any day!

Dennis ;)

Newtire
06-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I keep a stainless 45 colt BH cylinder next to my desk to remind me that Rugers are not indestructable. I have a small spiral crack looking line in one of the chambers that happened after shooting 405's with Bluedot.
I have a Bisley cylinder in it now and try to keep things more on the reasonable side.

I don't know if your grips question was a joke or not, but I should have a packmyer contender grip in the gun room somewhere. I put it on, but liked the Rynite grips much better. I probably have the forened with adapter in there too.
Just a joke Lars. Thanks though. Illinois upbringing, strange sense of humor back there they tell me.