PDA

View Full Version : 40cal 175grn trouble

shootinxd
02-08-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm having some issues with my 175grn lee TC boolit not wanting to fit the camber of my XD40.The boolit hits the camber right at the front of the case.It fails to fully seat by .035" most of the time.If I tap on the Dummy round it will finaly seat but has to be pryed from the barrel.My reload manual shows a COL min of 1.115",but this won't even come close to seating.Has anybody had this issue with this boolit.My plated reloads fit just fine.[smilie=b:

PepperBuddha
02-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Do you have a case gage? Did the rounds fit? With cast boolits you may be getting lead scraping in front of the leading edge of the case. Make sure you clean up the mouth of the brass. I have a RCBS chamfer and deburring tool for the task, just clean off the sharp edge on the case. May need a little more bell.

Intel6
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I had problems with the .40 Tumble lube bullet., not sure if that is what you are talking about?

I now use the regular lube groove .40 bullet and have no problems.

Are you sizing these?

RobS
02-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm having some issues with my 175grn lee TC boolit not wanting to fit the camber of my XD40.The boolit hits the camber right at the front of the case.It fails to fully seat by .035" most of the time.[smilie=b:

The Lee TC bullet does the same thing in the 45 ACP. All I did was seat the bullet shorter so the round would chamber. I also backed off the powder charge and worked up slowly while watching for signs of pressure and while logging Chronograph data. If it is not the bullet that is giving you issues then it could be that you need to give a bit more taper crimp to the reload.

shootinxd
02-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I made some more dummy rounds and seated to a min col of 1.095,I'll try a starting load of 5.4grn's of #5 this weekend.It seems to fit the camber and cycles by hand.Thanks for all your help.