PDA

View Full Version : Boolit and primer sealing

Nora
02-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Has any one used any thing like this http://www.cabelas.com/p-0054190216569a.shtml or any other home brewed concoction on their cast boolits? Granted for most applications it is completely unnecessary and hard to justify the cost or time involved. But what if a guy did want to "water proof" them? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Nora

BruceB
02-08-2010, 06:52 AM
In my experience, it's just not needed.

Over the decades I've been handloading, some of my rounds have accidentally been run through a full cycle in the washing machine and still fired perfectly (429244 in much-used .44 Magnum brass, in one incident that I recall).

I also intentionally contaminated loaded .45 ACP rounds, also in much-used brass, with WD40 in PUDDLES on the boxed ammo's case heads. Over the five months that followed, I fired test samples of the contaminated ammunition each month. There was absolutely no degradation of performance. as compared to identical but non-contaminated ammo. WD40 is renowned to be a penetrating and primer-killing agent par excellence in popular "accepted truths". It ain't so....

If you "just have to", model paints or nail polish work fine, and the wide assortment of colors also can help with identification of loads if good records are kept. Really though, it seems that good neck tension is all that's really needed.

Tn_River_Ratt
02-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Try a little nail polish if you really must. I haven't seen a need as of yet. Just my $.02

Ratt

Shiloh
02-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Yes.Clear nail polish.

Or you can go to the nail polish bargain bin and get "Tangerine" or "Tutti Frutti"
It will all do the same thing. Never used any of this kind of product.

SHiloh

DLCTEX
02-08-2010, 11:21 AM
+1 on the nail polish, a cheap solution to a non problem.