PDA

View Full Version : Progress today

snake river marksman
02-08-2010, 12:28 AM
I converted another dutch oven worth of WWs into ingots and 358-158 boolits. I found that I cast about 100 boolits during the course of the ingot making . I also bent the handle on my ladle and drilled a hole in the side for pouring. It does seem to work better this way.
A buddy of mine is sending me his moulds. He no longer casts and is willing to loan me his moulds so I can try before I buy. Strangley enough, he has 45, 40, and 9mm moulds. The very same calibers that I need.
Now I need to either get the Lee bottom pour pot, or get some sort of pot for the coleman stove so I can cast in the shop at the bench. I don't mind casting boolits in the unheated portion of the barn while smelting up ingots, but if I'm going to sit down and do real casting work, I'd like to do it sitting at the work bench with a pot specifically for boolits.
What day do they play the superbowl on?

crabo
02-08-2010, 12:31 AM
The superbowl was today. New Orleans won. Get you a Lee 20 pound pot and it will go much better for you than the coleman stove, even though it can be done that way.

Mk42gunner
02-08-2010, 12:44 AM
I second the Lee 20lb pot idea, much more comfortable to cast from than a Coleman stove.

Robert

bigboredad
02-08-2010, 01:12 AM
hey snake I use a hot plate and a stainless pot and a ladle customized the same as yours and ti all works great and keeps a good steady temp. go see rob at mater tech auto and see if he'll cough up some wheel weights. Tell him nick sent ya

mooman76
02-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I like to stand when I pour. I can move quicker and and if I have to, I can move quicker. I usually don't cast more than a couple hours at a time unlss I'm in th mood and doing real good.

BSkerj
02-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Just a FYI..if you are over in Pocatello, stop into Big D's Gun shop on Main St...he has a couple of used Lee's bottom pour..last time I looked he had 3. I picked up a Lyman from him dirt cheap. He will let you plug them in to make sure they work. Maybe call him and dicker over the phone. He is closed on Monday though. Anyway, just a thought.