PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Cast Press

abunaitoo
06-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I've been using a Lee Classic Cast press for a few months now. It's great!!!!! Had some problems with it new, but it was very quickly taken care of by the very friendly Lee customer service staff.
When I got the press I couldn't get it to sit flat on my bench (I have a metal top bench). Some grinding to take off casting flash took care of the problem.
Next I attached the handle and noticed that it was kind of stiff to use. I lubed it up and it got a little better. I also noticed that the clip that holds the shelholder in was missing. Sent a email to Lee and got a responce telling me some replacement parts were on the way.
A few days later a new shelholder clip and a handle spacer (without serrations). Installed the new parts and everyting was great.
This press is strong. Formed some 30.06 to 7.7 with no problems. Priner catch tube keeps old primers from messing up the place. Handle can be adjusted for any position.
I didn't expect much for $60.00, but this press is much better than I expected. :-D

Bucks Owin
06-11-2006, 05:13 PM
That is a great press and would still be worth it at twice the price IMHO...
The fact that you can get one for $60 is just icing on the cake!

Dennis

454PB
06-12-2006, 12:52 AM
I recently purchased the new Lee Classic Turret press and I'm very impressed with it.

DLCTEX
06-12-2006, 01:24 AM
I have used the press to load 45 acp and rifle cartridges from 300 win. mag. to 222 rem. and to set back the shoulder on some brass fired in a rifle with a too long chamber. I broke the turret bolt in my Lyman T-Mag press when trying this. No problems with the lee. I like the ability to go from auto rotate to manual or stationery in seconds. The safety prime system is great, and fastest conversion around from one primer size to the other with auto feed. The 3 hole turret with ring from my old press works on it in manual mode only, I'm thinking of extending a hex rod to make it auto advance with the three holer, If I've measured it correctly, .600 on bottom and .400 on top will work. Adding 1 inch on bottom would work if not loading magnum length. Some have complained that there is no provision for setting up for left handed use. This could be done with the three holer, bolt it down to the base and use the left hole in the ring for a guide to drill the hole, then tap threads. I would not be surprised to see Lee come out with a stretched rod before long so that the three holer can be used in auto mode. Of course the ratchet bushing will have to be changed to the hex one, but that's simple. I really like this press :-D it gives me the ability to use my powder measure and still be able to look down into the case to check the powder level and presence.

Steve E
06-25-2006, 01:49 AM
I love my Lee Classic Cast Press, I have set it up to use my RCBS Piggy Back II and it works perfect with it. Basically all it took was to drill a hole in the top of the press for the locator pin (keeps it from turning when it cycles)on the Piggy Back. Great product for the price.

Steve E........

PatMarlin
06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Love mine. Great product.

I think you're gonna see Lee come out with more and more "Classic" gear, and this will put a hurtn' on the competition for sure. Wouldn't you?.. :Fire:

I wish I had the classic turret, but I have no more bench space. I need a bigger house.. :roll:

Swagerman
06-25-2006, 02:29 PM
The Lee Classic single stage press, good enough to do bullet swaging apparatus as well as hold an RCBS piggy-back rig.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PB250002.jpg

PatMarlin
06-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Outstanding Jim......!

I sure would like to swage 224's for my Howa. Coulda guy make a die set that would use .22 lr cases?

Scrounger
06-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Outstanding Jim......!

I sure would like to swage 224's for my Howa. Coulda guy make a die set that would use .22 lr cases?
Or a guy could but a set of dies from Corbin...It is much more difficult and expensive to make swaged jacketed bullets than you probably imagine. There is a long learning curve before you end up with bullets as accurate as the cheapest ones you can buy. Forget the labor, but the cost of all the equiptment you will need would probably buy 25,000 Remington 50gr .224 bullets, and they shoot pretty damn good.

PatMarlin
06-25-2006, 06:47 PM
There's always somethin'.. :roll:

What happened to the free lunches?... :mrgreen:

Swagerman
06-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I have never made a swaged jacketed bullet. All I've done for years is swage lead bullets, changing the nose shapes, make hollow base or hollow point noses.

And to do that I buy my swaging dies from Dave at C-H 4-D.com whos prices are 2/3 rds cheaper than Corbin.

One of C-H swage dies will run you around $60.

If you do not intend to make jacketed bullets, and only want to swage them like I do, you must special order your swaging dies in the exact diameter you want the bullet to become.

The swage dies for the jacketed process or in two different diameters, one smaller than the finished bullets and the other usually the expected dieameter you'd want.

Note: The swaged bullets in my above picture are all lead bullets, even the hollow point ones.

Jim