PDA

View Full Version : It was a magnum range day

HammerMTB
02-07-2010, 08:16 PM
It took me a while to find some WW296 powder. I had a couple mag loads to try, but didn't have that powder, so waited for it.
I got some at the gun show last weekend, and tho I may have paid a bit too much for it, not altogether too much, and considering I don't use that much, it'll be OK.
Anyway, the load is a big charge, and I had been advised it would be a handful in my BH 4-5/8" .45 Colt.
It sure was. Pushing a 310 gr flat nose 1200 FPS is not a friendly load for that light a wheelgun. It might be a good load for bear, but to kill at one end, it will maim at the other. My middle finger knuckle is still stinging.

Ran the same charge thru the SRH with a 265 gr in front of it. That one's doing 1500 FPS in the 9-1/2" bbl! At least it is easier to manage with the much heavier gun. Either would be a fearsome thing to use on any N American game.

The .45 auto in the XD seemed pretty tame compared to those, but the good part was my SD was.... 8.8!!! Nice load, gotta keep that one....

Filling out the card, I loosed the 45-70 for some chrono work. While the loads were nowhere near max, they were enough in the 1895G to put some thump in the recoil, and bagged down resting shots got notice after a while. Again something you wouldn't want to shoot all day. But, the PP experiment continues, and some good info was to be found. I'll go post that over where the PP bunch can absorb and comment in a while.

ghh3rd
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
My middle finger knuckle is still stinging.

I can relate to that. I recently acquired a Ruger SBH Hunter in .44 Mag and have thumped the middle finger knuckle a few times with full house loads. It takes a while to get over that, especially when you already have a touch of arthritis in that knuckle.

I started wrapping a couple of layers of mole skin about 3/4" wide over that knuckle which solved the thumping, although it looks a little odd. Then I found that a thin, insulated leather glove lets me trigger satisfactorily, while protecting my finger.

I think my final solution will be the purchase of a shooting glove. I think that ever since I hit 50 yrs old I started to worry less about how I looked, and more about how I felt.

HammerMTB
02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I have 2 potential answers to the knuckle banging. One is a grip that moves all the fingers below the trigger guard.
The other is a bigger grip frame, IE, the Bisley. I got hold of a Bisley grip frame at the gun show last weekend, and it is worlds different than a BH. The down side of this is that one of the nice things about a BH is the very "carriable" size. A big grip frame takes away from this.
It can be tough to have your cake and eat it too.... :coffee:

Johnch
02-07-2010, 11:07 PM
. My middle finger knuckle is still stinging.

That is why I wear a padded fingerless glove , Past ( sp ) glove
It has padding in the perfict spot on the front for the 2 finger

I hate wearing it some times
But I can fire lots of full power loads and not have a bruised or bleeding finger

John

yondering
02-07-2010, 11:31 PM
The other is a bigger grip frame, IE, the Bisley. I got hold of a Bisley grip frame at the gun show last weekend, and it is worlds different than a BH. The down side of this is that one of the nice things about a BH is the very "carriable" size. A big grip frame takes away from this.
It can be tough to have your cake and eat it too.... :coffee:

We need to get together one of these weekends for some blasting; you can shoot my Bisley. It's only a 5" barrel so not much different than yours other than the grip frame.

How much 296 did your gun need to push that Lee 300 bullet at 1200 fps, and what primer? I suspect my gun is a little "slow", as I need 24gr H110 for that velocity with a Win primer.

beagle
02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Try some Lil Gun under those big stompers and I think you'll be sold. I love it in my .45 Colt under the RCBS 45-325-FN-U downsized to .452".

Hit on Hodgdon's web site and use the minimum starting load. No problems with it like WW296./beagle

Heavy lead
02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
That is why I wear a padded fingerless glove , Past ( sp ) glove
It has padding in the perfict spot on the front for the 2 finger

I hate wearing it some times
But I can fire lots of full power loads and not have a bruised or bleeding finger

John

These are absolutely necessary for my three screw sbh, either the gloves or stitches.

HammerMTB
02-08-2010, 12:34 AM
We need to get together one of these weekends for some blasting; you can shoot my Bisley. It's only a 5" barrel so not much different than yours other than the grip frame.

How much 296 did your gun need to push that Lee 300 bullet at 1200 fps, and what primer? I suspect my gun is a little "slow", as I need 24gr H110 for that velocity with a Win primer.

I PM'd ya the data
We need to find or develop some longer range shooting spot. Let's put our heads together and see what we can do..... :coffee:

HammerMTB
02-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Try some Lil Gun under those big stompers and I think you'll be sold. I love it in my .45 Colt under the RCBS 45-325-FN-U downsized to .452".

Hit on Hodgdon's web site and use the minimum starting load. No problems with it like WW296./beagle

I'll have to keep an eye out for some
Thanks for the tip! :)